In This Case 3 is One

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taking the two is one reasoning a step further, I keep three flashlights in the car. Two are $1 GE 2D "industrials" purchased on sale. The beam is useably bright with a xenon lamp, and the "faceted" reflector provides an acceptable spot/spill focus. For good measure an old M*g AAA hides in the glove box too.

A GE and the M*g didn't light when tested; only one out of three was good. I guess that winter killed the alkaline cells because the AAAs leaked and the Ds were dead.

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened
Flashaholic? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
just kiddin... lithium lasts better in cold temps though...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for my cashflow to be upgraded so I can add a reliable lithium/LED to each car's arsenal. The flashaholic in me bought three of those cheap GE's for 50 cents. When I went back for more they went up to a buck. Great lights for the kids, garage, and around the house. The better/long distance car has better lights but would benefit from a lithium light too. BTW there's also a plug in search light in the trunk.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hey jayflash, If I waited for cashflow to increase Id' still be rubbing to sticks together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the Infinity Ultra and a Lithium AA. That ought to be reliable and cheap enough for your cash flow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayflash, what you need is either a Dorcy Spyder 2x123 lithium cell light for 13 (2 for 26 at Costco; search for some members who can hook you up if none near you) or Brinkmann Legend LX 2x123. The LX has a better beam, but is 20. Both will do the trick. They will be lots brighter than what you've been carting, and winter and/or time won't kill the cells, as you say. I like these lights for glovebox duty, because a real emergency use may have to overcome ambient light, and sometimes an LED isn't up to that kind of power. Also, for me, cheaper is better as I don't like to leave money in my glovebox as it will hopefully not get used. As a flashaholic, choose carefully! I also carry 2 extra cells in a plastic, waterproof Walmart match case (.79).