Opinions on HDS flashlights.

Der Werner

Newly Enlightened
Hi There,

I am looking to buy a HDS flashlight.
What are the opinions/reviews on these sort of expensive flashlights here?
Are they worth the money?

waiting to hear from you.

greetz,

Werner

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
HDS has subforum , check it out, also use the search button. In few words, HDS considered to be one of of the most reliable and toughest flashlights, originally designed for cave explorations. If I had to keep one flashlight, it would be hds.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1. The HDS sub-forum is in Custom Flashlight Builders and Modders. My experience (around 8 lights) is that HDS has top shelf build quality and regularly updates their emitters among the best available. And you can mix and match the battery tubes to meet your needs.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to love them but they just weren't bright enough or throwy to suit my needs at the time. I owned SO many of them and ended up selling/trading all of them off. That being said they are absolutely amazing at what they do and not many flashlights can hold up to the abuse I put mine through. I will probably own another one at some point. Buy it and if you don't like it it will quickly sell at almost your purchase price.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love their original offerings, they are what got me hooked on flashlights. I've not looked into the newer ones, the design/aesthetics just never grabbed me the way the old ones did.

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
I don't recall a situation when I said, dang wish this HDS light had more than 200 lumens. For daily tasks, most of the time it is used in low or medium setting. It has beautiful balance between spot and flood, perfect for close and medium range. When I need to see far where HDS can't reach, I use one of the Malkoffs extra throw heads, that work awesome for that purpose but unusable at close range due to the concentration of the beam. HDS has arguably the most robust build, programmable to your needs, advanced and very efficient electronics, without using PWM, conservative output that translates to long battery life, It will not unexpectedly leave you stranded in darkness.
On top of that you have custom choices of emitters, lens, interface and battery tubes.
Now value, last time I checked Ti rotary sold for $400 more than the original sale price.

Last edited:

Stoneking

Enlightened
Absolutely amazing lights, I currently have five of them and one on order.
The build quality and design, in my opinion, is the best I've ever owned.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do actually use PWM but the elves are so magical it's undetectable. If you let the magic elf smoke out of the light it's impossible to get back in-hogo. Paraphrased of course from 2015 haha. They are just amazingly engineered flashlights.

And regarding the 200 Lumen comment, that's why we all have different uses. When I'm hunting I want to carry one light. I wanted the HDS to be it but it wasn't. For daily tasks and normal nightly tasks it would be hard to beat. I was merely talking about my own applications.

blub

Enlightened
They are critical mission lights, I use my 85tr red mode to go to the bathroom so I don't wake up my wife.

De-Lux

Enlightened
I've owned several over the years. Also had a few that I had to send back so not sure I can say too much about their impeccable reliability. I will say Henry is awesome and always made things right. He definitely stands behind his product. Ultimately, I stopped buying HDS lights due to the almost 3 fold price increase. In the beginning you could pick up an HDS light for $99.00. There is an old saying " an item is only worth what people are willing to pay for it" well obviously there are many paying the asking price so good for HDS.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Honestly HDS has changed over the years but if you use them for what there designed for. There great. They are not throwers. They are not high lumen they are not particular good for search and rescue. They are designed for EDC. And for that they work pretty good.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS flashlights are general purpose everyday flashlights that are well built and come with a lifetime guarantee. They have a proprietary highly functional programmable light engine with many features and are available with several different LED's. They can use primary and rechargeable batteries. The person that makes them is highly driven to make the best light possible.

They are not the brightest flashlights, the longest throwing flashlights, or the least expensive.

When you buy one, use it, you will buy at least one more or many more. They have a very high resale value and will sell within days if not hours of listing. I presently have four but have owned 10 since the year 2012.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a Rotary 200, had a Clicky 170. They're cool little lights with tons of features and super techy but they're pretty pricey (imo) and while they seem to have a reputation for being bomb proof there are plenty that found them glitchy with reliability issues. So while I like mine it wouldn't be one I'd recommend, there are less expensive and more practical options if you want a good light. If you want the bells and whistles and tech then it's a pretty cool light.

Btw, years back they were had new for $99.... what a buy in hindsight.

LedTed

Enlightened
I tried two. Had trouble with one. Gave the other away. I have since found a much more: affordable, useful, and versatile replacement.

Raptor1956

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple new HDS lights, a rotary and a clicky. They are dependable and built to industrial-usage standards. They do not seem like a great value, until you hold one in your hand and use it regularly. The latest 320 lm versions address some of the output concerns. IMO, the HDS lights are wonderful lights a worth the price. They're not a screaming value like an Emisar D4V2, but I can't imagine being without either of these flashlights.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Great lights. Some people say they aren't bright enough, etc., but it seems pretty bright for a single CR123 light. I don't even use mine on high very often. If I needed more light, I would probably grab an 18650 size light. I like to say there is no free lunch. If you push a battery too hard, it won't last long, it will be drained. Great beam and combination of throw and spill. Solid build and feels great in hand.

alitd

Newly Enlightened
The lights are amazing, worth every penny, and only outdone by the customer service (Hogo). Check out his custom sheaths also, real works of art.