What are the Best rechargeable D Cell batteries in 2020 ?

buckyball

Newly Enlightened
i wish to buy some new batterys to stock up incase of power cuts etc
i own a really good Coleman torch thats over 700 lumens bright, that uses 4x D cell , im trying to get the best batterys i can for it to maintain full strength brightness of its beam .

i own Tensai NiMH 1.2V 10,000mAH i found out about that brand via this forum they are good but i have had some fail after not sure how many charges but no where near as many uses as i thought id get from them , off top of my head they cost around £10 each

Extreme high performance branded ones , NiMH 1.2V 10,000mAH seemed ok

and ages ago i had some Uniross 2600MAh 1.2v they feel incredibly light compared to the 2 other brands i currently own,

also got unbranded 10,000 mah ones off ebay that were crap i will never buy unbranded junk again

any help appreciated thx

LED Monkey

Enlightened
I've heard good things about "Tenergy" D batteries, they seem to have a good rep. What I've been doing is using 3x Eneloop AA batteries in a 3 cell adapter in parallel. A good quality nimh AA battery are very reliable with only a little less capacity (pro version) when using 3 batteries in a adapter in parallel. And 3 AA's plus the adapter cost me a little less money than 1 D battery. And another benefit to using multi AA batteries is if you need to you can take them out of the adapters and use them in other devices if need be, the D batteries have a very limited amount of devices that use them. But if you're set on dedicated D batteries you can check out some Tenergy's brand, there are a couple more brands but not a whole lot to choose from for quality D nimh batteries.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
What I've been doing is using 3x Eneloop AA batteries in a 3 cell adapter in parallel.

I've been doing the same. C and D cells just haven't seen the R&D that AA and AAA have - especially with regards to low self-discharge NiMH. Is is a minor nuisance dealing with adapters routinely, but my D-cell electronics are relatively few. I should look into 4xAAA parallel adapters for C cells as well.

The ~6Ah I get out of 3x AA isn't a big hit on the nominal ~10Ah a true D cell nets and the current delivery from three parallel AAs isn't going to be a slouch.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some soshine and tenergy D cells, they're OK but they are not as high quality as Japanese Eneloops – these are good if you use your light frequently. For less frequent use, AA eneloops in adapters are probably the way to go.

I also use 3D printed adapters in 2 and 3 C or D cell lights so that I can 18650's, 21700's or 26650's; I find it is easier to charge a single Li-ion cell than a bunch of AA eneloops.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you sent me $100, I'd probably buy ~12 Tenergy Centuras, or just the Premiums and expect to cull a few of them.

Chris

Macgravy

Newly Enlightened
There are also some Amazon Basics C's and D's. I don't have anymore info on them. I have read some of the ratings. Can't confirm or deny any of them.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are also some Amazon Basics C's and D's. I don't have anymore info on them. I have read some of the ratings. Can't confirm or deny any of them.

I've been here for a while, reading quite a bit and in my opinion, I'd start with Tenergy.

None of the C/D brands are of FDK/Eneloop quality, so don't expect that.

Culling is you friend.

Chris

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I have not seen any D cell Eneloops available anywhere.

I recall reading that those were a Japan-only product and consisted of a shell with 3x AA cells soldered in parallel; they also offered C cells with 4x AAA cells soldered in parallel inside a shell.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some pretty good sub C NiMH batteries on the market. Historically that size has been used in RC so there was a lot of development.

It might be feasible to make an adapter to make those work.

There has been some size bloat in that sector, so the diameter would only require a 4-5 mm thick wrapper to fit.

They are cheap enough to have around.

Another option for power outage lighting in the house is to use a 12 volt LED string and connect to a 100 amp-hr AGM size 27 battery. Add a 150 watt panel and a small controller and you never have to think about it. That is the path that I am chasing.

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nine years ago I bought 10 AccuEvolution LSD 10Ah NiMH D cells and 10 4.5Ah C size. Their 2% monthly discharge is accurate and they all are still within ~10 of original capacity. I'm quite surprised they've held up this well.

turbodog

Flashaholic
i wish to buy some new batterys to stock up incase of power cuts etc
i own a really good Coleman torch thats over 700 lumens bright, that uses 4x D cell , im trying to get the best batterys i can for it to maintain full strength brightness of its beam .

i own Tensai NiMH 1.2V 10,000mAH i found out about that brand via this forum they are good but i have had some fail after not sure how many charges but no where near as many uses as i thought id get from them , off top of my head they cost around £10 each

Extreme high performance branded ones , NiMH 1.2V 10,000mAH seemed ok

and ages ago i had some Uniross 2600MAh 1.2v they feel incredibly light compared to the 2 other brands i currently own,

also got unbranded 10,000 mah ones off ebay that were crap i will never buy unbranded junk again

any help appreciated thx

If these are for sporadic power outages you are MUCH better with alkaline. NiMH self discharge around 30% a month.

If for regular use, then find some rechargeable cells.