What is the LED made of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_R

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased an ARC AAA Premium and I must say that it exceeds my expectations. A fantastic, pure beam that blows away similarly sized incandescents. However, I would like to know what the LED is actually made of, since it is exposed. Is it vulnerable to scratches?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The LED body is made from an epoxy compound. It *can* get a bit scratched up, but you pretty much have to do it on purpose with a sandblaster or a knife or something.
Ordinary usage and carrying should not significantly scratch the LED up.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
The LED body is made from an epoxy compound. It *can* get a bit scratched up, but you pretty much have to do it on purpose with a sandblaster or a knife or something.
Ordinary usage and carrying should not significantly scratch the LED up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can it scratch from wiping dust off with a cloth? Some of the glass and plastic in glasses does.

Or is the compound in LED bulbs resilent to scratching from dust?

Empedocles

Newly Enlightened
JHRenergy,

Welcome to Arcmania! The AAA is a little wonder.

Wait until you get your hands on a 4+ ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Believe me, you will simply not believe the performance. You'll be unable to buy a Wal-mart flashlight ever again!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Empedocles said:
... You'll be unable to buy a Wal-mart flashlight ever again!

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you plan on modding it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

the led should be quite resistant to scratches. really, don't worry about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
Can it scratch from wiping dust off with a cloth? Some of the glass and plastic in glasses does.

Or is the compound in LED bulbs resilent to scratching from dust?

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally, I'd recommend the brush on a Sima LensPen or a small paintbrush to remove dust from the LED, but I've never heard of anybody ruining or defacing one just by removing the dust with a cloth or bathroom tissue.
As long as you don't just smash the dust in with hard pressure on the cloth, you shouldn't mar or deface the LED.

Blow out what you can first, then use the cloth to remove the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.