FourSevens        

Thread: miniature UV flashlight powered by smartphone

Default miniature UV flashlight powered by smartphone

Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum. So first of all let me briefly introduce myself - i'm a ukrainian DIY hobbyist and while my main interest is audio (see my signature) I'd like to build a bit unusual UV flashlight.
    From time to time I need UV flashlight. It should be very small, even smaller then usual keychain flashlight yet much more powerful then something like nitecore tube UV (this toy has usable range of 2 inches lol).
    So I've decided to build a small uv flashlight without battery inside and use a smartphone as a power source. Please take a look what I've built:

And attached to smartphone:

Small animations to show what this flashlight is capable of:

What do you think about such idea and it's implementation?
    Any suggestions?

Default Re: miniature UV flashlight powered by smartphone

Sorry, problems with animations in previous posts:

Good job. The force is strong with is one.

Welcome to cpf.
    John 3:16

Brief explanation why everyone who want to keep his house clean need UV flashlight. Everything is recorded with smartphone\ smartphone with attached flashlight.

They make a regular led like this? Cool concept.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    They make a regular led like this? Cool concept.
    Who "they"? I've used factory led of course. Everything is assembled by me - 3d printed case, laser cut faceplate and the most complex thing - special controller to receive current from smartphone.

are you building it for future mass production\sales, or you just build 1 for yourself? it looks pretty neat,

Scowl Re: miniature UV flashlight powered by smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    are you building it for future mass production\sales, or you just build 1 for yourself? it looks pretty neat,
    Everything I build - I build for myself. But then... sometimes it's worthy mass production Not very often ;(
    Last edited by Garuspik; 08-28-2019 at 03:16 PM.

I didnít read your post correctly. I thought you found this for sale and bought it. Nice job.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Garuspik View Post
    Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum. So first of all let me briefly introduce myself - i'm a ukrainian DIY hobbyist .... So I've decided to build a small uv flashlight without battery inside and use a smartphone as a power source.... What do you think about such idea and it's implementation?

I have moved your thread to "Homemade & Modified" subforum.

If you would like to share further details of this build, many of us here on CPF would be very interested in that.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post

I have moved your thread to "Homemade & Modified" subforum.

If you would like to share further details of this build, many of us here on CPF would be very interested in that.
    Sorry that I've chosen wrong sub-forum. A newbie mistake.
    I'm open to any discussion and can answer any questions.
    Verum Audio - audiophile planar magnetic headphones.

A year have passed after I've made first samples and I decidet to try luck on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...our-smartphone

So if you feel like it is a time for such tiny and IMHO useful device I ask you to support this campaign.

Thanks in advance!

Could you share more info on the UV emitter you're using? Wavelength, power? I like the concept, I'd like to support your Kickstarter campaign, just wanted to know more about the LED.

Quote Originally Posted by George7806 View Post
    Could you share more info on the UV emitter you're using? Wavelength, power? I like the concept, I'd like to support your Kickstarter campaign, just wanted to know more about the LED.
    Hi. As it's said on project page it's lite-on 365 nm led. It's rated 3w but sure it's run at much lower rating. About 400 mW.