Hound Dog 18650 vs MD3 M61T

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not examining the lumens or runtime or even size.. let alone beamshots.

I realized why I've rarely used the MD3 M61T combo I have versus the HD 18650, the other day the MD3 light went out on me in an instant. Upon examination, one of the 18500 cells went to 3.0V while the other one was in the working range.

It's not really a Malkoff thing. It's an MD3 thing. Two protected batteries and the 18500 aren't really known for long runtime and when they go out, you lose light in an instant.

I don't like the MD3 config, the only way that makes sense is if you run primaries.

The 18650 HD just runs and runs and never quits on you, leaving you in the dark. Possibly at a critical moment. Especially in our apocalyptic times.

Any light that runs on multiple protected cells, or even on a single protected cells is a liability IMO.

Better have a backup ready.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a primary fan, I rather run 3 18350s or 16340s. Or 2 and a dummy cell. And considering that a high quality 18500 like a ncr mh12210 2040mh it's only slightly less than a 2500mh 16650. Even though I have well over 350 cr123s I rarely ever use them in anything other than my security cameras.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well that's where testing your equipment comes in handy 😁 I run my M91 off 2X18650's. It will run for 2 hours. I know this. It will run for 1 1/2 on to 18500's In a MD3. I know this. When I'm out in my woods or out for a night walk I always have a sense of time so it going out does not happen. But your right running 2 protected Lithiums if your not on top of the situation will result in being left in the dark if your not careful.You could run 2 unprotected 18500's in your MD3. That would work or yes primaries. Yes they can get expensive and runtimes are not the best but if you want a light that will keep going and going in any weather or any situation primaries are the ticket. There's a good reason elzetta's don't take rechargeable batteries. Other then hard impacts destroying the cell. Primaries are utterly reliable. I use Lithiums in all my lights but NEVER go out with out my spares carrier full of them.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteries are like ammo, if your not carrying extra your doing it Wong. I keep back up batteries in the glove box, and in my pockets.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can run a md3 with a dummy cell an a unprotected 18650

You can. But that raises the question of why does one need an MD3 config at all?

Either go with MD2 and an unprotected cell or to go for more runtime, chose MD4 and 2 protected cells with significantly better runtime than 2x18500. But even then you risk getting an instant outage. The cool thing about MD4, you can run 2 18mm cells or 4x123 cells in it with M91T like I do. The runtime is decent.

I was looking for something important and the thing cut out on me without a backup and I was getting aggravated. That's the genesis of that post. I hate when that happens.

I imagined how bad it would be if I actually depended on it. We ain't in Mad Max yet, but who knows. It's the calm before the storm in the air.

I don't trust MD3 anymore.

The _only_ way that makes sense if you travel and just don't want to drag 18mm cells with you and rely solely on 123s. That has an interesting benefit of being able to stick 2xAA in it, if the Malkoff is a lower powered one, I use M61LLL. But both points are moot now.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see where your coming from

I solely got the md3 because I wanted a longer md2 , it didn't matter what battery config I was going to use .

The great thing about the md3 is it's so versatile with 123s, AAs, AAAs , and dummy's and rechargeables .

Like TG said tho . You gotta know what light you bring to what situation and you need to know your light and runtimes .

If I was Leo I wouldn't use protected cells , only time I'm using protected cells is lights for around the house when finding or looking for whatever I'm looking for isn't that important or if it is , and my light goes out I could go right inside and grab another light .

Personally I think your giving up on a good host . It's a great light . But that's personal preference .

If you didn't have the md3 already I would be like ok but it's still a great host .

But being that you own it already , the problems your having can easily be worked around

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
MD3 does not have a greater runtime than MD2 with latest-greatest 18650mm cell.

It has a bit more lumens due to higher voltage, but longer runtime -- no.

Part of the problem is the 18500 cell hasn't be developed, and likely won't ever be.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
I meant I wanted a physically longer light

And you do not have to use 18500 cells there are a ton of more battery options besides that cell

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you were in the same scenario with a md2 and a protected cell and it left you in the dark, would you blame the md2?

Your blaming the host for what the cells failed to do.

I think your issue is with cells, not the host .

Cells can be worked around

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with etc... Md2 or md4, i prefer md4.

If 18500s had better capacity, it may be a different story. However, i prefer the constant high output of md3/md4 over continuous declining output. There's a reason I want/need that output... I definitely don't want it dropping in certain uses.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
You can. But that raises the question of why does one need an MD3 config at all?

You could bring backup primary cells, either 2x CR123s, 3x CR123s, or 2x AAs depending on what sort of dropin or head you are running if/when your 18650 runs out.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
MD4 is not that bad. I can EDC MD4 assuming it has a compact head with M91T or such. The advantages of MD4 vs MD3 outweight it's disadvantages. You get much greater runtime with Lithiums _and_ you can use 123 in it as well.

It's the Hound Dog with MD4 that's borderline non-EDC item, and I know I will get some disagreement there. But I found that MD4 with a 'regular' head is carryable and with a huge Hound Dog head is basically not. Unless you come up with this MD3 + Hound Dog head contraption which makes no sense at all.

The great thing about the md3 is it's so versatile with 123s, AAs, AAAs , and dummy's and rechargeables .

That's what I said 12+ years ago when I first discovered the Surefire 9P bored to accept Lithiums and able to accept all kinds of configurations. In reality, you just never use it when you got a dozen better lights. You wait for the emergency and it never comes. If you get that desperate, you can even stick 4xCR2 cells in a MD3 /9P type light assuming the module can take it. So yeah. It's am omnivore but borderline useless. I roll with the Hound Dog 18650 lately.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Your right of course about us lot not really needing an omnivore light. But it is very practical in real world. For instants these new 4L's that were playing with in a three cell body you can run three primaries or two AAs whatever you happen to have on you.and if ever a loved one needed a light for an emergency they would have multiple battery options and very simple operations. But for us. There probably not needed but then again there's nothing wrong with be over prepared.