In the market for 2 new Vinh lights

ike1985

Enlightened
I absolutely love my tx25c2vn but it's been years since I bought it and I'm sure the market has advanced beyond it. I've got the dedome pdt xml2 thrower version. I love this light because it's about 80% throw, 20% spill, I find aspherics and similar to be more of a novelty and less practical and so what I'm looking for is an updated more powerful tail clicker version of an 80/20 tx25c2vn style light. I love these pocket throwers with a dash of flood. Must be a tail clicker or cap replaceable for tail clicker. The 2nd light I want is an edc, vinh suggested tk17vn with triple W2. Must be a tail clicker or cap replaceable with tail clicker.All thoughts appreciated.I want the most impressive 80/20 pocketable thrower and the most impressive EDC I can get form Vinh.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Both of categories that you're looking for are kind of wide open. I know the TK17vn is Vinh's favorite EDC light right now and he mentions it a lot. Hard not to get something that he raves about.

As for the other, you'll be a bit limited with tail clicky requirement but any 22mm or larger reflector with a Osram "W2 or W2.1" (this is the terminology we use here) will throw really well and normally has decent spill. FW1Avn W2.1, or any P60 with W2.1 should easily exceed the throw and output of the tx25c2vn. Also, the little D25LC2vn MKII does 50Kcd with W2. Or you could always just send him the tx25c2vn and have is mod it.

If you want a total "blaster" and don't mind a bit less efficiency or reduced runtime, any of the SBT-90 LED equipped lights, with tail switch, from Vinh will be mind blowing. Usually close to 4000L from that LED and throw that's not far behind the W2. Again, limited options with the tails switch but I'm sure the tx25c2vn would take the SBT-90 LED. It would turn it into an entirely different monster.

Anyhow, just a couple of things to get you started.

[h=1][/h]

ike1985

Enlightened
Both of categories that you're looking for are kind of wide open. I know the TK17vn is Vinh's favorite EDC light right now and he mentions it a lot. Hard not to get something that he raves about.

As for the other, you'll be a bit limited with tail clicky requirement but any 22mm or larger reflector with a Osram "W2 or W2.1" (this is the terminology we use here) will throw really well and normally has decent spill. FW1Avn W2.1, or any P60 with W2.1 should easily exceed the throw and output of the tx25c2vn. Also, the little D25LC2vn MKII does 50Kcd with W2. Or you could always just send him the tx25c2vn and have is mod it.

If you want a total "blaster" and don't mind a bit less efficiency or reduced runtime, any of the SBT-90 LED equipped lights, with tail switch, from Vinh will be mind blowing. Usually close to 4000L from that LED and throw that's not far behind the W2. Again, limited options with the tails switch but I'm sure the tx25c2vn would take the SBT-90 LED. It would turn it into an entirely different monster.

Anyhow, just a couple of things to get you started.

[h=1][/h]

Wow great post. I havent been able to find any info on whether I can convert the TX25C2VN to a tail cap in an SBT90 setup. It's an intriguing idea.

I'm leaning toward a P60 with Sbt 90.

I cant find any info on FW1Avn, do you know where ai could find one?

What would the kcd be like with p60/tx25c2vn with SBT90 and is SBT90 available in various options like dedome, pdtc, different color options, etc

Thank you for your patience, I've been away awhile

Patriot

Flashaholic
Wow great post. I havent been able to find any info on whether I can convert the TX25C2VN to a tail cap in an SBT90 setup. It's an intriguing idea.

I'm leaning toward a P60 with Sbt 90.

I cant find any info on FW1Avn, do you know where ai could find one?

What would the kcd be like with p60/tx25c2vn with SBT90 and is SBT90 available in various options like dedome, pdtc, different color options, etc

Thank you for your patience, I've been away awhile

You'll want to email Vinh about converting the TX25C2VN. He will let you know for sure if it will work and how much it would cost.

With regards to the P60 and SBT90, it doesn't have as much heat sinking ability and would typically be used in shorter bursts at maximum output. Again, Vinh can offer some ideas about the best host.

Expect somewhere around 55Kcd from a P60 and lumens will vary with the host, typically 3500L or more. I think the head is about 5mm larger on the TX25C2vn so perhaps 65Kcd? There's really no way to know unless Vinh has build and measured one before so you'd probably be the first. For $10 he can spec the light for you so that you know exactly what it can do. All of this is assuming it's possible to put the SBT90 into the TX25C2... but chances are, it can be.

Yes, the SBT90 had a lens rather than a traditional dome. It can be "DeLensed" as we say. You could pick up 5% performance so I'd recommend it if Vinh says it's okay. I have two DeLens SBT90's and they're great.

I think the SBT90's that are available from Skylumen are 5700K tint. I've seen people on other forums claim that the tint got warmer with the DeLens however, I think that it takes away any hints of green or cream color out and makes it more white. Probably slightly cooler, if anything but I'm speaking from limited experience.

Spelling/grammar edits*

Last edited:

Enlightened
For an edc the Lumintop tool aa he mods has some impressive specs for the size.

Msf

Enlightened
I am not sure you can go wrong with any of Vinh's as impressive edc lights
I have Vinh's TK17vn W2, Lumintop Tool 14500 W2, Goliath W2, David SST40 and an RRT01 SST20. Each have their strong points. Throw is a priority for me, so they are listed in order of ability to reach toward the riverbank (about 300 yards) from the back of my house. Excessively hot for me is uncomfortable to hold by the head of the light.
The best balanced is the TK17vn. It's beam lights up the riverbank easily and also has enough spread from the three led head to be quite useful up close. It manages high for sixty seconds without getting excessively hot.
The Goliath matches the TK17vn for throw, although the area lit up is narrower, and it really wants a diffusor for up close work. It manages high for sixty seconds without getting excessively hot.
The Lumintop reaches the trees about fifty yards this side of the riverbank, has usable spill and is so slender it disappears in the pocket. However, it starts to get excessively hot on high after about 30 seconds.
The David excels up close with wide hotspot from the TIR and manages to light up the trees almost 200 yards away. I have not used it on high enough to know how fast it gets hot.
The RRT01 is optimized for high CRI and has a pleasant beam, but struggles with the trees at 200 yards.
I have dozens of stock lights and none of the same sized stock lights I have tried manage to match the TK17vn and Goliath for throw. Hope my ramblings are useful.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The best balanced is the TK17vn. It's beam lights up the riverbank easily and also has enough spread from the three led head to be quite useful up close. It manages high for sixty seconds without getting excessively hot.
The Goliath matches the TK17vn for throw, although the area lit up is narrower, and it really wants a diffusor for up close work. It manages high for sixty seconds without getting excessively hot.

Haha! That's amazing from that little light! ...and to think the W1 version throws around 45Kcd!