What are the most recommendable/trusted manufacturers/brands of flashlights?

Prof.Dr.FlashlightNewbie

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently looking for a new flashlight, and while looking at models myself I was just wondering, what are the most recommendable/trusted manufacturers/brands of flashlights? Like I see brands like Thrunite, Fenix, Nitecore or Ledlenser for example, and many others, and it's hard to tell for someone who doesn't know much about flashlights which manufacturers are the most trustworthy so you don't make a mistake when just looking at specifications.

Is there a list somewhere? Which brands would you recommend the most?

Wow, what a question to start a war! :) What's right for one person isn't what is right for everyone.

I'll nominate the brands I trust:

Olight (their packaging has more engineering in it that some maker's lights and the in-light charging can't be topped.)
AceBeam
Imalent (for huge lights, their small ones aren't very good)
Nitecore
Fenix

For smart-lights running Andrul:
Emisar
Lumintop
Fireflies

If not on my list I just don't work with them, could be great.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff and then Surefire for me, Zebralight after that.

archimedes

Flashaholic
There are so very many threads on this topic, that searching CPF is probably better than yet another rehash.

Often the OP doesn't even return to comment much, but we'll let this one run for a while, and then maybe merge it if it looks useful to do so.

Last edited:

Prof.Dr.FlashlightNewbie

Newly Enlightened
Peak is legit. The thread topic ? Time will tell
I'm just trying to decide what to buy for my first "proper" flashlight. Unfortunately I didn't get any flashlight model suggestions in my topic in the recommendation forum, so I'll just have to look for fitting models of recommended manufacturers I guess. Looking for a cheap USB-rechargeable flashlight btw - one where I don't have to worry about the 18650 battery exploding during charging somewhen. I've seen videos of what happens when a Lithium battery explodes or catches fire and read news stories about cheap 18650 batteries exploding, so I'd rather not by a light from a manufacturer that I don't know...

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My C/D maglights have been very good but the AA/AAA don't last due to battery leakage. Not sure why the AA/AAA lights are so prone to this (ime), thinking it's a switch thing, Clicky vs twisty. Malkoff and Surefire have been very good too.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I like my ML25, ML50 and ML300 C & D cell Maglites more than anything – it's hard to beat them for value, they work great and they are still made in the USA.

I don't use alaklines though, only NiMH and Li-Ions so there is no worries with leaks.

jmarsh86

Newly Enlightened
You can't go wrong with a surefire. I have lights that are 25 years old and not a thing wrong with them.

Prof.Dr.FlashlightNewbie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input so far. I've searched through the websites of a couple of the manufacturers mentioned so far, but haven't found the right fit just yet.
Since I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone yet, is ThruNite a trustworthy quality brand like the other ones mentioned here? Just stumbled upon a light (TC15) from them that seems to fit my specifications/price criteria for my secondary light so far...

Side note, if I have the choice between cool white and neutral white, which one should I pick and why? I hate yellow-ish light. Not sure how I feel about blue-ish light in a flashlight. For room lights I prefer having neutral light, neither yellow nor blue, like sunlight I guess. Are neutral white flashlights like sunlight without either yellow or blue?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Looking for a cheap USB-rechargeable flashlight btw ....

I think I see the issue now.

Just my own personal opinion, but the overlap between "cheap USB-rechargeable flashlight" and "most recommendable and trusted brand of flashlight" is small.

Very small.

OK, it is the empty set.

I don't mean that there aren't reasonably functional and adequate inexpensive lights which are USB-rechargeable, by the way. Simply that is not what you are asking here.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Side note, if I have the choice between cool white and neutral white, which one should I pick and why? I hate yellow-ish light. Not sure how I feel about blue-ish light in a flashlight. For room lights I prefer having neutral light, neither yellow nor blue, like sunlight I guess. Are neutral white flashlights like sunlight without either yellow or blue?

Speaking of searching CPF, that question would be an excellent one for trying that technique.

I'm just trying to decide what to buy for my first "proper" flashlight. Unfortunately I didn't get any flashlight model suggestions in my topic in the recommendation forum, so I'll just have to look for fitting models of recommended manufacturers I guess. Looking for a cheap USB-rechargeable flashlight btw - one where I don't have to worry about the 18650 battery exploding during charging somewhen. I've seen videos of what happens when a Lithium battery explodes or catches fire and read news stories about cheap 18650 batteries exploding, so I'd rather not by a light from a manufacturer that I don't know...

Want a specific recommendation? Starting at midnight you can buy a Olight S1R Baton II in Blue, 4/10/2020 only. The store is http://Olightstore.com and the blue will be on sale for $48.97 with 100% of the day's sales going to fight the virus. Plus, just ask and they will include a 15-pack of face masks.

The S1R II is my favorite of 300 lights, my EDC. Owners love them.

jrgold

Enlightened
I have several thrunites including the TC15. They are quality lights and I've never had an issue with them. I much prefer neutral tints over cool blue emitters. Neutral tends to cut through the night better, and has less backscatter (reflection off moisture in the atmosphere). They aren't too warm, I wouldn't call them yellow at all.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting topic to pop up anew at this time.

Brands that I have: Acebeam Eagletac Emisar Fenix Four-Sevens Imalent Lumintop Manker Nightwatch Nitecore Niwalker Noctigon Olight Thrunite

Brands that I do not have not yet, mid-range: Armytek Elzetta JetBeam Klarus MecArmy Streamlight Sunwayman Surefire Zebralight

Brands that I do not have not yet, Budget: Astrolux Fireflies Sofirn

Brands that I do not have not yet, USA Custom makes: HDS LRI Malkoff McGizmo Muyshondt Okluma Oveready Peak Pelicans Prometheus TexasLumens TNC

terjee

Enlightened
I'm just trying to decide what to buy for my first "proper" flashlight.

Knowing what I know now, there's no question about what I'd get for my first light, if I had to go back. I'd definitively get a Zebralight. An 18650 fueled one.

They're compact enough to EDC, good quality lights, and cover a very wide output range. You can light up a room, or you can dim them enough to check on a baby. And you can easily access the mode you want directly.

There's also enough variety to match your preferences. Frosted or not, temperature and so on.

Personally I'd got for the SC600Fc Mk IV Plus as my first, but better yet, check out the different models and think about what might fit your preferences.

There's a lot of good lights out there, but for a first, I'd want something that's easy to care and a good "go to light" covering a wide range of use cases. The zebras fit this very well.

Some of us like these lights so much, that we have or are nearing buying double digits of them.

For 18650 batteries, it might seem scary at first, but it's not a problem to use them safely if you take a couple of precautions. In a single-cell light, you've already rules out a lot of what could go wrong before you even get started. From there, get good quality cells from reputable dealers, and same for chargers. Last step is to be sure not to short them. A silicone battery "condom" will give you the protection you need.

Note that the Zebralights and some other lights use "unprotected" batteries. This doesn't actually pose as much of a danger as it might sound like. It's actually rather simple: your protection is as good or better, it's just that the protection circuitry is in the light, not in the battery. Protected batteries matter
mostly in lights using multiple cells.

A significant advantage of unprotected cells is lower parasitic drain - the battery won't empty itself on a shelf. A zebralight can sit on a shelf for a year and still have good power, and even be on for a month at a low setting.

Sorry, I'm digressing here.

What I'd do is check out the lineup for zebralight, and read up on what the differences are between the models. Even if you end up with another light, it'll raise good questions like which temperature you want, if you care about CRI and so on.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My first "proper" flashlight was a 320 lumen SureFire G2x Pro in 2015. 5 years later, knowing what I know now it would still be my first proper flashlight. Very useful low, great beam on high and a nice neutral tint.

It's still one of my top 5 flashlights.

jrgold

Enlightened
Knowing what I know now, there's no question about what I'd get for my first light, if I had to go back. I'd definitively get a Zebralight. An 18650 fueled one.

They're compact enough to EDC, good quality lights, and cover a very wide output range. You can light up a room, or you can dim them enough to check on a baby. And you can easily access the mode you want directly.

There's also enough variety to match your preferences. Frosted or not, temperature and so on.

Personally I'd got for the SC600Fc Mk IV Plus as my first, but better yet, check out the different models and think about what might fit your preferences.

There's a lot of good lights out there, but for a first, I'd want something that's easy to care and a good "go to light" covering a wide range of use cases. The zebras fit this very well.

Some of us like these lights so much, that we have or are nearing buying double digits of them.

For 18650 batteries, it might seem scary at first, but it's not a problem to use them safely if you take a couple of precautions. In a single-cell light, you've already rules out a lot of what could go wrong before you even get started. From there, get good quality cells from reputable dealers, and same for chargers. Last step is to be sure not to short them. A silicone battery "condom" will give you the protection you need.

Note that the Zebralights and some other lights use "unprotected" batteries. This doesn't actually pose as much of a danger as it might sound like. It's actually rather simple: your protection is as good or better, it's just that the protection circuitry is in the light, not in the battery. Protected batteries matter
mostly in lights using multiple cells.

A significant advantage of unprotected cells is lower parasitic drain - the battery won't empty itself on a shelf. A zebralight can sit on a shelf for a year and still have good power, and even be on for a month at a low setting.

Sorry, I'm digressing here.

What I'd do is check out the lineup for zebralight, and read up on what the differences are between the models. Even if you end up with another light, it'll raise good questions like which temperature you want, if you care about CRI and so on.

I second this, buy once, cry once. Also there are benefits to having a separate charger, as opposed to integrated charging. You can charge a battery while using the light, you have more control over how you charge your battery, the lights themselves are typically smaller in size, there is one less component in the light to break, and one less point moisture or dirt can enter. One of my favorite edc's is the zebralight sc64c le. It's a great quality light, and so small it's hard to tell how an 18650 can fit in there. It has a beautiful beam as well, that renders colors very nicely.