XTAR Dragon vs C9000 - Worth an upgrade?

turnipfarmer

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys

I have a C9000 which does the job but just wondering if upgrading to the Dragon is worth it being a more modern charger?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lacking more info I'm assuming you're referring to the Maha AA/AAA charger. If so, unless you want to charge larger size NiMH and also LiIon cells, I'd stick with the Maha.

I have both and greatly prefer the 9000 for AA & AAA cells, as it has completely independent channels with greater programming flexibility. The XTAR cannot discharge without first charging and cannot be set for less than 500mA charging or discharging rates.

I have a less expensive (than the Dragon) Vapecell charger which has independent channels, tests internal resistance, accepts larger cells, with higher and lower charge/discharge rates than the XTAR. There's also an Opus charger that looks similar. Others with more experience may chime in. Hope that helps. Hey, with your low post count one might think you just fell off the turnip truck. Judging by your join date I see that's not the case. :D

Last edited:

turnipfarmer

Newly Enlightened
Lacking more info I'm assuming you're referring to the Maha AA/AAA charger. If so, unless you want to charge larger size NiMH and also LiIon cells, I'd stick with the Maha.

I have both and greatly prefer the 9000 for AA & AAA cells, as it has completely independent channels with greater programming flexibility. The XTAR cannot discharge without first charging and cannot be set for less than 500mA charging or discharging rates.

I have a less expensive (than the Dragon) Vapecell charger which has independent channels, tests internal resistance, accepts larger cells, with higher and lower charge/discharge rates than the XTAR. There's also an Opus charger that looks similar. Others with more experience may chime in. Hope that helps. Hey, with your low post count one might think you just fell off the turnip truck. Judging by your join date I see that's not the case. :D

Ah yeah would miss the independent channels, which less expensive charger(than the dragon) is it that you have? Just need another charger to charge my AA and AAA batteries.

Haha yeah I don't post often, just for advice really.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, farmer, I usually post for advice too - lotsa good insight on the CPF.

My favorite charger has recently become the Vapecell S4 Plus and it cost $55 with shipping. That's not much cheaper than the Dragon, but that one I had to pay shipping. The Vapecell will charge two slots @ 3A max vs 2A for the XTAR. It also tests a cell's internal resistance and automatically indicates it on-screen. The XTAR Dragon has separate leads to test IR & voltage and may provide a more accurate reading, but I haven't compared them yet.

You can probably do better than the $55 I paid, especially for just AA/AAA cells. The S4 Plus is very flexible and works for LiIon and larger NiMH cells.