The Ideal Light - You Can Hold It In Your Mouth

LightScene

Enlightened
One requirement for an ideal light is that you can hold it in your mouth. There are so many potential scenarios where you are in the dark, and you need to have both hands free, and you can't always be carrying a headband, so you have to be able to hold a light securely in your mouth.

I was just watching a movie called "Spartan", starring Val Kilmer, and he used a flashlight several times in the movie. Once, he was holding it in his mouth. That's when I realized just how important this quality is. It makes you appreciate the value of a real small, real bright light - like the Firefly or the VIP or the Arc LS.

Spartan is a real cool movie - check it out.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't Nite-Ize have a product called "Lite Bite" or something? I think it was designed so you could put a Minmag in your mouth.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
HAIII>>>Teeth Enamel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
There is hardly a night that I don't at some point need to "mouth" my around-the-house light of choice. In fact, for this reason I avoid those with lanyards or key rings. The AAA Dorcy and Derringer see alot of use.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
The $1 pocket Leds from CC are very nice and mouth-friendly, kinda 'bite-sized' if you ask me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Otherwise there's always Petzl Zipka, with the retractable cord, but as a handheld it'll be kinda weird... But then again that's why we're called flashaholics, we always EDC more than 1 light anyway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the rubber cover on the kroll switch on the ARC is very teeth friendly.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: The Ideal Light - You Can Hold It In Your Mout

If you clip an Arc AAA to your shirt pocket (on the inside), then flip it so the pocket is partly inside out, you can point it reasonably accurately and use it handsfree without having to put anything in your mouth. If you're wearing a t-shirt you can clip it to the collar and flip it similarly.

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened

I was going to say that in the movie "Resident Evil", they had something just for that purpose.... but Bid Ed had it right... Nite-ize: the Ibite! http://www.niteize.com/lbite.html

My wife thinks I'm crazy for noticing flashlight things during a movie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

dandruff

Enlightened

ugh, holding lights in ur mouth is not for me.

u just end up drooling all over yourself haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
dandruff said:
ugh, holding lights in ur mouth is not for me.

u just end up drooling all over yourself haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well duh sure you do. Don't you own a drool cup for these situations? I thought everyone knew you had to own a drool cup if your a flashlight biter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I bite a Surefire L4 and a E1e with KL-1 bezel all the time. I find that the HA-III wears off and the knurling wears down. Tooth enamel is tough stuff.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

The LiteEze works well. Because you can keep your mouth shut and in a more normal position, drooling isn't a problem. I don't use mine anymore because the only Mag that I have that it can be used on is one with an Opalec and I just don't use it often. If someone would make them with different diameters or adapters for different lights, they would be useful.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

My Ultra and my Arc AAA have a piece of plastic tubing (from Hardware store) on the end for biting. I couldn't find the right size for my Arc LS w/ twistie.
Our first lights other than Mags were Trek Lights. My son wore a hole in his with his teeth. You think battery corrosion is bad try battery corrosion and spit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would rather a head worn light because you
can talk whilst it is in use.

Topper

Flashaholic*

The ARC4+ clips on a ball cap pretty well.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sidespill

Enlightened

i got this idea from a CPF post a while back (apologies who's original idea this was) but a camelpak bite valve works great on ARC AAA's

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

If you have a headlight/lamp it is better. But does anyone EDC a headlamp? (I already know that's a silly question, I'm sure someone here does /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
If it helps I do occasionally wash my 'bite plate'