About P15d-25-1 headlight bulbs (M5 / T19) for motorcycle

niksfish

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. I'm currently having a hard time figuring out what is the correct headlight bulb for my motorclycle. I hope you can help me out.

So, lets begin. I have a Honda NSR 150 RR 1998, it was imported from Thailand. I had to search the part number of the bulb since the manual doesn't say what standard is it. Part number: 34901-KET-940

Hotlinked

So it's a Stanley a0330 V 12 V 30/30 W t19l with P15d-25-1 conector, if I'm not mistaken.
I have seen a few similar bulbs, but I don't know if they would work properly.

The questions:

1) I am curious about that long and thin piece of metal inside the bulb, perpendicular to the filament. What is that? The other bulbs don't have that.
2) I have searched all the internet about standards, like H4, H7. I found the ECE regulation 37 I can't find anything about the lamps that use this kind of conector, P15d-25-1, or any info about T19 or M5. If I had that information I could see if the filament is in the same position or not so the focus might be right.
3) That lamp is difficult to find, maybe I would have to import it. The other similar bulbs I have found are the M5 and the T19, pics below. I wonder if I can use any of those. If I could, I would use the M5 that it is available in my country, Argentina. Both come in 35/35w option so that would be preferable. Also, there is a special version of the M5 that promises 50% better performance.

M5:
URL=https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fn3.sdlcdn.com%2Fimgs%2Fa%2Fr%2Fp%2FPhilips-HeadLamp-Bulb-PremiumVision-M5-SDL023206035-1-0707c.jpg&f=1&nofb=1]Hotlinked[/URL]
T19: I found that XENCN brand in aliexpress. I don't know why that plate isn't flat. There are other T19 in aliexpress but with the filament too different...

Hotlinked

I asked for help in a few groups but some people don't understand that LED replacements are way worse. If you ask too much they might get "mad". Some just don't know about the differences I have seen in those bulbs. I just want my lights to be in the best condition I can!

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
niksfish, ¡bienvenidos aquì! (I hope I got that right; it's been too many years since I took Spanish in school).

Get this one (or one exactly like it) -- the Osram 62337SVS, M5 Silver Star bulb. It's a halogen bulb, so it's more efficient and with a longer useful life than a non-halogen version. It has colorless glass, without a light-reducing blue coating. It's made by a reputable company, so its construction is correct in all details (filaments exactly where they're supposed to be, base dimensions correct to place the filament accurately in the headlamp, etc). And it probably merits its claim to give better performance.

Now the longer answer:

T19 = Tubular glass, 19mm in diameter (this applies to the non-halogen version of the bulb)

with P15d-25-1 conector

P15d-25-1 is the bulb's base (formally called the 'cap'). P = prefocus, 15 = minor diameter, d = two electrical contacts, 25 = major diameter, 1 = variant.

I am curious about that long and thin piece of metal inside the bulb, perpendicular to the filament. What is that?

I can't be 100% sure without talking to the engineers of this particular bulb, but in other bulbs similar to this one, a rod like that is a vibration stopper to prevent the filament from flopping/moving too far. A bulb with this rod isn't necessarily better than a bulb without it, nor vice-versa.

I found the ECE regulation 37 I can't find anything

This kind of bulb is not standardized in UN R37.

I found that XENCN brand in aliexpress.

"XENCN" is a fraudulent brand, picked because the Chinese marketer thinks it looks enough like the word "Xenon" to fool buyers. Don't buy on Aliexpress, all you can get there is garbage.

niksfish

Newly Enlightened
Great! thanks a lot for the answer!! You really helped me out!

niksfish, ¡bienvenidos aquì! (I hope I got that right; it's been too many years since I took Spanish in school).

Lol, it's only "bienvenido". Works like english in this case, you don't say welcome here. Or maybe you wanted yo say "Eres bienvenido aquí" like "you are welcome here".

Get this one (or one exactly like it) -- the Osram 62337SVS, M5 Silver Star bulb. It's a halogen bulb, so it's more efficient and with a longer useful life than a non-halogen version. It has colorless glass, without a light-reducing blue coating. It's made by a reputable company, so its construction is correct in all details (filaments exactly where they're supposed to be, base dimensions correct to place the filament accurately in the headlamp, etc). And it probably merits its claim to give better performance.
Great. Yeah, I had seen about that bulb before, it is the one I wanted. And... You even found it for me to buy it in my own country! I couldn't. Thanks.

So, let me see if I understand correctly.

The original bulb for this bike isn't halogen, right? I guess you can tell by the shape of the glass.

And, it seems that there are some options, but the M5 replaces the t19 and it is better, so, that's why M5 are a lot more common.

Take a look at the bulb the previous owner had, something that looks more like a H4 with a p15d-25-1 base. No wonder I didn't see anything!

Whats-App-Image-2020-04-12-at-04-15-49.jpg

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Well, then, bienvenido! :)

M5 is a sort of semi-official bulb type designator. Koito calls it an "HM6".

Yikes, that bulb you took out of there is definitely all wrong!