Malkoff M61 in an MD2 is still the ultimate apocalypse light

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had multiple generations of M61, right now down to just 2, an older M61 and what I think is the latest-greatest.

It has the right balance of runtime, throw, spill, lumens and lux. And I've never been in a situation where I lacked runtime, but usually you discover you lack lumens. Runtime is an issue if you lack rechargeables, but you can always EDC a dozen in the vehicle, along with 123. Theoretically all these "Low" modes seem nice, but in reality, a single mode M61 is sufficient.

MD2 is a great EDC size. Fits in my Vertx pants pocket perfectly.

The only mod I usually make, I saw the clickly with the good olde SF twisty tailcap.

Truth be told, I could have just one light, M61 / MD2 and be satisfied with it.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree. An m61 w/the hi-lo ring is a solid choice and if I could only have one that might be it. The low mode is useful, the beam is practical, and the single 18650 gives good runtime. The m61L drop in would be even more practical. It was my work light and other then it lacked the 'throw' on the few occasions I needed to see further it did everything else well. Rotated two 18650s and kept a few 123s just in case but never needed them. Got me through Sandy and the months afterward. [emoji106]