Klarus        
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Masks thread

Default Re: Masks thread

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Opening the package I see they are Chinese made. No matter Mono because I poked a hole in mine so I can smoke while wearing it.

Good ole American know how
    https://www.facebook.com/eatcallahans/videos/286535589423224?vh=e&d=n&sfns=mo

That's definitely Meme worthy.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Do masks help keep from spreading a virus?

You decide

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...sk-experiment/

Please don't try this at home.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 08-01-2020 at 07:25 AM.
    John 3:16

mask or no mask. trust the experts! if ya want something fixed call me . if ya need medical advice as a docter.dont be afraid to admit your wrong. listen to experts not some guy on the internet
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Do masks help keep from spreading a virus?

You decide

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...sk-experiment/

Please don't try this at home.
    Ah, Uncle Rob's Life Tips - amusing, opinionated, and gasoline is almost always involved.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

*Flashaholic*

CDC just published an article this month (May 2020) in which they review all scientific and medical studies from the 1940's to the present and conclude that masks have "no effect" on the transmission of viruses.
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

*Flashaholic*

clothe face masks are next to worthless with 97% pass through ..

STUDIES SHOW Penetration of cloth masks by particles was 97%! So they're telling us to wear masks to possibly not breath in 3% of harmful particles?!? They said masks do more harm than good, democrat governors trying to kill us?!

A cluster randomised trial of cloth masks compared with medical masks in healthcare workers
    https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577
    https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjo...06577.full.pdf

Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

Nature - Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

https://www.who.int/publications/i/i...ncov)-outbreak

They’re mandated here as of midnight tonight, although Melbourne and environs have had that mandate for the last couple of weeks. The state of Victoria has a population split of roughly 5 Million people for Melbourne and surrounds, the rest of the state totalling approximately 1 Million people. In country Victoria, we have been quite lucky, with few cases. Melbourne has been locked down with travel very much restricted, although like anywhere else, we get the freedom of expression people, and COVID naysayers, etc. The one thing both cloth and paper masks will effectively stop, is a $200 fine for not wearing one.

*Flashaholic*

Lockdowns do NOT reduce fatalities in the long run. (The proof is in.)

https://covid19.healthdata.org/sweden

Deaths will plummet on their own. Hospitalizations will plummet on their own.
    Lockdown. Don't lockdown. It's doesn't matter.

The virus will run its course. The same as the annual viral season has run its course for all of recorded history.

Just live your lives.

When I first started this thread not much was known about how this novel virus was spread. Was it like a flu virus? One that causes a head cold? What climate could it survive in and for how long? Not much was known at that time. So a place here at CPF to discuss home made approaches to face coverings was begun while there was not a lot of medical type face coverings available. Now that there are plenty of choices it comes down to whether you choose function or fashion to halt droplets leaving your person when unable to stay the reccomended 6-8' (2-2.5m) apart.

It might not be possible to know how well covering our faces to stop our droplets from becoming air born from a statistical perspective since so many choose to not wear one, so I added a demonstration video that has nothing to do with rules, regulations, statistics or anything else except to show the mask your dentist wore before the pandemic was to stop their droplets from getting on you.

This thread has nothing to do with whether you should or shouldn't be required to cover your face. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Agreed, thank you Bykfixer. Cy, it might be good for you to relax a bit. You’ve made your opinion clear in the other CV19 thread. This thread is about showing your masks, not the efficacy of lockdowns or social distancing. Thanks.

Please correct postings that have a picture size of greater than 800x800; otherwise they may be deleted as I on occasion lack the patience to politely edit posts, simply to facilitate poster compliance with forum rules. This can also include quotes containing oversized pics.

Thank you & best regards.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 08-02-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Recently a prominent doctor tossed out the notion of eye coverings in addition to face coverings. It kinda surprised me that it took so long to mention since prior to the pandemic studies showed folks who wear glasses tend to get less head colds. Being the novel corona is in the same family it was surprising up to now no real talk about eye protection was taking place.

Enter the face shield. It can accomplish a lot of things all in one product. I'll mention Mrs Fixer here. She has major hearing loss and depends on lip reading a lot. Clear face shields help there. Your iPhone may not like the 'mask' at facial recognition. Perhaps the face shield will aid with that. They are certainly less restictive for breathing. It can also help others see smiles on peoples faces, it halts droplets from becoming horizontal projectiles from sneezing or coughing. Actually the wearer will see how much it halts. They generally don't have a lot of fogging issues. They protect your eyes too. They are fairly easy to find online for a couple of bucks each for a cheap plastic kind with elastic headband.
    My only qualm with the face shields I own are how the head band interferes with my prescription glasses. But if you don't wear glasses they are fairly comfy. So my point is perhaps we will be seeing more face shields in use and this may be a good place to discuss the work arounds for folks who wear glasses, have a ginormous dome, want to wear a ball cap with theirs or other issues that plague the alternative to 'masks'.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 08-02-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post
    CDC just published an article this month (May 2020) in which they review all scientific and medical studies from the 1940's to the present and conclude that masks have "no effect" on the transmission of viruses.
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article
    I just read that entire article in detail with the suspicion that its conclusion was not as overarching as you make it to appear.

Your provided summation is inaccurate enough to be misleading in at least four major factors, for those who take forum posts at face value and do not examine the citation in detail. For one example, the article was not a review by the CDC as you claim, it was a instead a review by a postgraduate student in Hong Kong, China - /big/ difference.

I could go on with a detailed critique of the article (an aspect I have had 30 years of professional training in), but please keep in mind that I am not here to debate specifics, I am here to moderate discussion threads - so replies to my post are not needed.

We had some issues in the prior thread with these sorts of posts, so staff will be less indulgent of them here.
    A wider variety of speculation is often more welcome in the CPF Underground.

Thank you & best regards,
    Last edited by Kestrel; 08-02-2020 at 10:09 AM.

As a public service announcement, members need to keep in mind that there can often be a disconnect between summary posts and linked supporting content.

Without reading in detail, things are often not as simple / cut&dried as they appear to be, and this can often be made worse by
    confirmation bias.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

For anyone with an interest in this thread topic, I would HIGHLY recommend a review of the Wiki article I have linked to; the synopsis of which I am quoting below;

Thank you & best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.[1] It is an important type of cognitive bias that has a significant effect on the proper functioning of society by distorting evidence-based decision-making. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. For example, a person may cherry-pick empirical data that supports one's belief, ignoring the remainder of the data that is not supportive. People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs.

Confirmation bias is a broad construct covering a number of explanations. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

A series of psychological experiments in the 1960s suggested that people are biased toward confirming their existing beliefs. Later work re-interpreted these results as a tendency to test ideas in a one-sided way, focusing on one possibility and ignoring alternatives ("myside bias", an alternative name for confirmation bias). In certain situations, this tendency can bias people's conclusions. Explanations for the observed biases include wishful thinking and the limited human capacity to process information. Another explanation is that people show confirmation bias because they are weighing up the costs of being wrong, rather than investigating in a neutral, scientific way. However, even scientists and intelligent people can be prone to confirmation bias.

Confirmation biases contribute to overconfidence in personal beliefs and can maintain or strengthen beliefs in the face of contrary evidence. Poor decisions due to these biases have been found in political, organizational, financial and scientific contexts. For example, confirmation bias produces systematic errors in scientific research based on inductive reasoning (the gradual accumulation of supportive evidence). Similarly, a police detective may identify a suspect early in an investigation, but then may only seek confirming rather than disconfirming evidence.

Last edited by Kestrel; 08-02-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Nessicity is the mother of invention, right?

Well thanks to inventions prior to me and a bit of internet searching I came up with a bykfixer mod to a face shield so it can be comfortably worn with readers, shades or prescription glasses.

Things needed:
    Oridinary hole puncher
    Thin plastic face shield
    Scissors

So to put on a ball cap (or helmet/hard hat) I trimmed about 1/2" off the top of a "face shield" brand shield so my ball cap can go on my melon without shoving down on the shield. (just trim off the part that says face shield)

See how high up the top is?

Next I punched two holes side by side on both sides of the shield.

Then I fed the arms of my glasses into the holes and that was that.

Here ya go.
    The shield is way more clear than appears. Face part blurred by photo editor in case my mug is on the side of a milk carton or post office wall somewhere.

I heard somewhere that they are saying now that the virus can be airborne NOT in a droplet form such that the particle size could be smaller than a mask can stop. A particle that small could navigate around a face shield too as you breath and move around and with breezes.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Cloth face-masks which incorporate a filter pocket, stuffed with a good disposable filter (such as a disposable PM2.5 filter, which BTW is easily available online) and that have a nose-wire as part of the design for that much needed tight fit on the face.... can help protect both the wearer and others around them. This information is out there. I'm not going to bother posting a bunch of links that only help support my point of view while leaving out dissenting links. Anyone wanting to educate themselves, can do so.

As far as masks go. Received a comment on one of my mask videos on YouTube. Thanks to a technique I demonstrated, one of my Subscribers was actually able to determine that the KN95 masks sold through a very popular department store in his country.... are all fakes!

I advised him to contact the local news and report the story. This is a huge scandal. The sooner those fakes are pulled from store shelves, the better! One of my videos may have prevented another round of outbreaks in a foreign country. Screw views or subscriber counts, that's far more important.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I'm going to go out on a limb here & guess the fake N95's came from China ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Given that KN95 is a Chinese standard (very comparable to N95 when competently-executed) I'd be less than shocked if the forgeries also came from China. Myself I've sourced two batches of KN95s, with the early batch being clearly superior.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Thank you for pointing out, bykfixer, that this is not the place where we come together to mask-debate.

When I first started this thread not much was known about how this novel virus was spread. Was it like a flu virus? One that causes a head cold? What climate could it survive in and for how long? Not much was known at that time. So a place here at CPF to discuss home made approaches to face coverings was begun while there was not a lot of medical type face coverings available. Now that there are plenty of choices it comes down to whether you choose function or fashion to halt droplets leaving your person when unable to stay the reccomended 6-8' (2-2.5m) apart.

It might not be possible to know how well covering our faces to stop our droplets from becoming air born from a statistical perspective since so many choose to not wear one, so I added a demonstration video that has nothing to do with rules, regulations, statistics or anything else except to show the mask your dentist wore before the pandemic was to stop their droplets from getting on you.

This thread has nothing to do with whether you should or shouldn't be required to cover your face. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic*

I’m so ugly when I started wearing a mask my company gave me a raise. 🙁
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Flashaholic*

I wonder how deaf people that lip read are dealing with this mask business.... talk about double deaf.... yikes!
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Not deaf, profound hearing loss in both ears due to medical issues. Right ear is useless. I have implants which help, but no where near to normal in hearing.
    I didn't think that I read lips, until everybody put on masks. Guess what, I did read lips and didn't realize it. I'm lost now.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    Not deaf, profound hearing loss in both ears due to medical issues. Right ear is useless. I have implants which help, but no where near to normal in hearing.
    I didn't think that I read lips, until everybody put on masks. Guess what, I did read lips and didn't realize it. I'm lost now.
    So sorry to hear of your trouble. I know there are some masks with clear plastic for that exact reason, but unfortunately that only helps if the people you are interacting with have and wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sos24 View Post
    So sorry to hear of your trouble. I know there are some masks with clear plastic for that exact reason, but unfortunately that only helps if the people you are interacting with have and wear them.
    Purchased a box (24) of ClearMask; something around $3 per. Not made for my big nose. Nice side ventilation (no trying to breathe through 3+ layers of fabric, causing most of the breath to go up, down and around, depending on how ill fitting. I am certainly no expert) but more free exchange than most masks if they are fitted properly to the face, exhalation valves notwithstanding. Curiously the mask began to smell of plastic after a while, then the smell receded. Maybe I got used to it? I was bicycling some; sufficient air to exercise but the warm behind the mask next to lips was noticed. The suspension (EZ Adjuster) is good; much better than pulling the ears. It was also large enough to have the top part go over the bike helmet (important to keep the mask stable as it is rather rigid unlike more flexible fabrics). The box says not medical but the website describes how useful they are to medical people:

Single use only. Latex-free. Anti-Fog. Protection complies with applicable ASTM level 3 standards for fluid resistance and flammability. Recommended for use indoors at room-temperature in ventilated, low-humidity environments.

There's an informational slip of paper inside the box giving specifications, with a stamp showing Quality Control passed on July 10, 2020 and clearly stating made in China, though no sign of origin on website that I could find, or on the exterior of the box.

Given that I work with special education students, including sometimes autistic spectrum, kinders and can get called in when a kiddo becomes unregulated, I thought it might be useful for them to see more of my normal face (such as it is), but really it is not normal looking. We will see how it works where the rubber meets the road soon enough. After labor day, schools may go to hybrid with students attending in person. I'm ready to kick the tires and light the fires, whatever maskage. Our district is supplying masks to staff but not students. They'll need to provide their own.

"Good Housekeeping" article on these kinds of masks:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hea...ar-face-masks/
    Last edited by KITROBASKIN; 08-04-2020 at 09:01 PM.

a town a few towns from me started school again first day a student is tested postive now the entire class is in quatine
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Good info KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Yes. However, the real ones do too.
    That's the aggravating part.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Yes. However, the real ones do too.
    That's the aggravating part.
    Well that's certainly odd; I just checked my inventory of N95's, and my two brands were manufactured in Mexico and the US.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast