Imalent        
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Masks thread

Default Re: Masks thread

I'm about 50/50 on wearing a face mask myself these days. If a place requires it (i.e. Costco, pharmacy) I wear it, otherwise I'm apt not to - been fully vaccinated for more than a month now and the inconvenience is, well, inconvenient.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

i was at store the other day and this daamn talking cat told me to check the margin
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    I'm about 50/50 on wearing a face mask myself these days. If a place requires it (i.e. Costco, pharmacy) I wear it, otherwise I'm apt not to - been fully vaccinated for more than a month now and the inconvenience is, well, inconvenient.
    I went to a local apothecary to get my vaccine - and didn't wear a mask either time. No one said a word. The pharmacy tech behind the glass was not wearing one either. I used to have a mask stuffed in my purse - just in case. I threw it away last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    I went to a local apothecary to get my vaccine - and didn't wear a mask either time. No one said a word. The pharmacy tech behind the glass was not wearing one either. I used to have a mask stuffed in my purse - just in case. I threw it away last week.
    Even if the epidemic keeps on a downward trajectory it's going to be a while until I can ditch mine.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Some corporate places are still hardcore. Local apple store is appt only, temp checking, mask wearing, and occupancy limits.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

On my commute to work I stop at an interstate rest stop and take a short stroll. Until today there were usually at least half of the people there wearing masks. Today nobody wore one. That kinda surprised me actually.

The case count was below 50 in my state yesterday. They said it was a record low. (46 iirc) So I suppose from day one there had been 47+?…… we were hovering well over 1000 cases a day for a good long time.
    John 3:16

i plan to wear. my mask till december becuase around that time of year mask fogs my glasses up
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Some corporate places are still hardcore. Local apple store is appt only, temp checking, mask wearing, and occupancy limits.
    Hmmm, I wonder if that is a marketing ploy?
    We are also overly concerned about cyber security.

You are safe with us!
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if that is a marketing ploy?
    We are also overly concerned about cyber security.

You are safe with us!
    My gut feeling (follow the money) says it's corporate legal dept. We've not seen the c-19 lawsuits yet. MS also has the lowest c-19- vaccinated rate in the nation.
    Last edited by turbodog; 06-03-2021 at 08:48 PM.

My guy feeling (follow the money) says it's corporate legal dept. We've not seen the c-19 lawsuits yet. MS also has the lowest c-19- vaccinated rate in the nation.
    So true! Lawsuits are sure to be coming.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Some ginormous companies have safety divisions in order to reduce insurance costs be it liability insurance or less costly for the part they absorb when providing insurance to employees. Although I work as an idependent outside of corparate walls I'm supposed to check my temperature each morning and fill out a "fit for duty" form.

My guy feeling (follow the money) says it's corporate legal dept. We've not seen the c-19 lawsuits yet. MS also has the lowest c-19- vaccinated rate in the nation.
    Employee retention in retail, food service, hospitality has been tenuous of late; a masking policy may be one of the things that prevents attrition from spiking.

have 160 n95 mask coming got em for 24 bucks

my llife is so lame i got excited about my new mask lol. btw there so darn much better then the ones ive been gtting. but they went up like 400 percent in a few days

You could have bought a few nice cloth ones for $20 and been washing and reusing them this past year and never had to order more. Then price increase doesn’t matter!

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    You could have bought a few nice cloth ones for $20 and been washing and reusing them this past year and never had to order more. Then price increase doesn’t matter!
    i guess if i hand wash them. my ashing machine timer is messed up laundry day sucks. i have to move it thru its cycles manualy. plus id use more water these mask was like 14 cents a price or so.

I just toss ‘em in with my towels and then let them air dry. Easy. Anyways, I’m not using them nearly as much now so it’s kind of a moot point.

true story i never once in my life seprated my laundry i just throw it all in the machine and hope for the best. lol ps i have no idea at all what seting to use on my washing machine. and i leave my cloths in dyer to i wear them lol im a mess

I only used two masks this entire time. I fly a lot, so I have had to wear them for long periods. I just wash them in the hotel. They dry by morning.

For a couple of months most stores have reduced their mask requirements. Since the CDC statement about no masks for vaccinated people, about 95% of our stores have dropped mandatory mask requirements.

At the beginning of all this my sister was terrified that we would wear masks the rest of our lives. I reminded her that the 1919 flu killed 50-100 million people, and they never had a vaccine. They weren't wearing masks in 1921.

I only wear a mask for maybe 5 mins per week, as to avoid fines when I go into stores. As a result the original paper mask I had in 2020 still works. I have a clear chinsheild mask I wear if I am in a store for any longer. The moment the fine thread decreases I will be maskless once again.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... Fenix E01

The Mrs and I went into a Target store yesterday maskless. Asking an employee where the aloe vera is it turned out I knew the lady, yet did not know who she was until she pulled her mask down. Some people are easy to recognize to me even with the partial face covering. But some apparently are not. Eh, plus I did not have my glasses on but wore some Foster Grant sunglasses instead.

I did feel awkward at the checkout counter knowing the mask is to prevent me from spreading the virus to another. I often walk around stores with it pulled down until I approach a person who will likely be on the outskirts of my 3 foot circle. Often the person running the cash register is less than 6 feet away.

First, I'm putting this in the 'masks' thread as vaccines/masks/corona all sort of blend together topic-wise.

Second, the tone in this thread is pretty subdued, and my hope is that I can post this and that tone will continue.

Now to the actual post...

Most of you have probably noticed the increase (again) in cases. This is a heads up in case you are not paying attention to just exactly what the numbers are doing and HOW they are doing it.

As most know, from prior posts, I am in MS. As of yesterday, we've seen a 700% increase in exactly the last 30 days. The _rate_ has never, never, been this high. Other southern/red states are seeing even worse increases. Currently, the gross numbers resulting from this are still manageable, but just barely. Blue states are doing better, but my prediction is that those states' time is coming, just delayed a little... a trend that has played out time and time again.

Why is this important? Because the numbers that I am tracking are all pointing to this fall/winter being even worse that 2020.

MS already has several of its largest hospitals on diversion (as in shut down to ALL incoming new patients regardless, even ambulance/gunshots/covid/heart attacks/etc). Other major ones literally have 1-2 ICU beds available, and a half dozen 'regular' beds for non-ICU patients.

When you combine the delta variant with 1) mask usage dropping like mad 2) emotional/mental fatigue as it relates to countermeasures 3) flu increase due to 1&2 4) flu increase due to almost certainly declining flu vaccine uptake 5) covid vaccine uptake has flatlined... ALL this points to a very, very nasty fall/winter in store for us.

I urge everyone to get your covid/flu vaccine. And yeah, the old argument about covid being survivable (mostly) applies... but that's the wrong angle to look at this from. That assumes you can RECEIVE care. Healthcare resources are finite, and speaking frankly from the ~6 close family members in healthcare... the medical community is really tired.

The past surges did not continue forever (countermeasures were applied eventually), but delta spreads so MUCH faster than before... it appears that it will spread faster than we can respond emotionally, politically, and medically.
    Last edited by turbodog; 07-22-2021 at 09:23 AM.

2) emotional/mental fatigue as it relates to countermeasures
    Been observing this myself. Masks are rare - even among retail/service-sector staff. Retail customers are back to crowding one another. Restaurants and other public gathering places are operating at close to capacity.

Short of the plexiglass barriers and ~10% mask usage, the public in the DFW area has decided that the pandemic is over.

5) covid vaccine uptake has flatlined... ALL this points to a very, very nasty fall/winter in store for us.
    Yeah, just about any imaginable incentive that can be offered has been at just about every novel 'pop up' site that can be imagined.

I urge everyone to get your covid/flu vaccine. And yeah, the old argument about covid being survivable (mostly) applies... but that's the wrong angle to look at this from. That assumes you can RECEIVE care. Healthcare resources are finite, and speaking frankly from the ~6 close family members in healthcare... the medical community is really tired.
    The slice of the population that's going to get vaccinated already has and the mass-media appeals have moved the easily reconcilable population. Individual engagement is what will be required to move the needle at this point.

The past surges did not continue forever (countermeasures were applied eventually), but delta spreads so MUCH faster than before... it appears that it will spread faster than we can respond emotionally, politically, and medically.
    My father has a saying about large-scale market availability crises like this: First it's an economic problem, second it's a political problem, finally it's a physical problem. The market manages scarcity in the first stage via pricing and other Laissez-faire rationing. In the second stage the issue becomes of sufficient concern that the government steps in to attempt to avert a crisis, rationing via more overt means outside of normal market dynamics. In the third stage the crisis has spiraled out of control and nothing can make the good at the root of the crisis satisfactorily available until conditions change, a substitute is made available, or an adaptation is developed.

I sincerely hope that we don't reach the physical problem state any more than we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post

My father has a saying about large-scale market availability crises like this: First it's an economic problem, second it's a political problem, finally it's a physical problem. The market manages scarcity in the first stage via pricing and other Laissez-faire rationing. In the second stage the issue becomes of sufficient concern that the government steps in to attempt to avert a crisis, rationing via more overt means outside of normal market dynamics. In the third stage the crisis has spiraled out of control and nothing can make the good at the root of the crisis satisfactorily available until conditions change, a substitute is made available, or an adaptation is developed.

I sincerely hope that we don't reach the physical problem state any more than we already have.
    Yes. But what I'm seeing now is that due to delta, the game has changed. Delta's moving faster than physical can mitigate. Vaccines take 2 shots and don't fully protect till weeks after shot #2.

There is a very small, rapidly closing, window to get ahead of this. I'm urging all to do so immediately.

And MS published new numbers since my earlier post... our 700% in 30 days has been replaced by 800% increase in the past 31 days. It's literally exploding.

Flashaholic

With a third of the country unwilling to get vaccinated and mask use careless at best, the Delta variant will spread in a very short time period for a third wave. It’s likely deaths won’t be as dramatic as previous. Herd immunity may happen sooner than expected with the majority of the unvaccinated getting the virus. Some historic similarities to the end of the Spanish flu (which probably came from Kansas).
    And just curious, why is it ok to call it the Delta variant because it came from India, but it’s not ok to call it the Wuhan or Chinese virus?

Alpha, beta, gamma, etc.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iant-info.html

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    And just curious, why is it ok to call it the Delta variant because it came from India, but it’s not ok to call it the Wuhan or Chinese virus?

Flashaholic

Thanks for the speedy link celery. It’s the alphabet!

And MS published new numbers today... our 700% in 30 days has been replaced by 800% increase in the past 31 days. And now 900% in 32 days. The rate of gain is increasing, both in raw numbers and percent.

And MS published new numbers today... our 700% in 30 days has been replaced by 800% increase in the past 31 days. And now 900% in 32 days. The rate of gain is increasing, both in raw numbers and percent.
    Denton County TX has seen an uptick per their own statistics. 1 March 6033 cases, low point 6 July 1444 cases, today (23 July) 2410 cases - up 66.9% from the low point using simple math. The ~25% vaccination rate does not impress but that doesn't include the vaccines sought outside of county efforts.

Filtering Google's inbuilt dashboard data for the last 30 days shows the trend a bit more clearly.

Microcovid suggests that the county vaccination rate is 47% and that a typical trip to the megalomart is but a moderate risk wearing a KN95 mask while everyone else cruises the aisles unmasked; treble if one also forgets one's mask.

Oh No!! The Delta Variant!!
    Run for the hills………

The news says it's bad. The government says hunker down again. And we all know the news wouldn't lie and the government would never distort the facts. Nah.

Not sayin' take this whole thing lightly. Just sayin' it's no time to panic (yet again).

Wait……there's more……the Delta Plus.

Back during the Spanish flu period the initial one hardly affected the elderly. The thinking is now that the plague of 1890 was actually an original version and those who did not die from it were immune to the 1916 version. Ah, but Mother Nature had a more sinister plan. Phase 2. The 1917 wiped out the young and sickly. Phase 2 took out grownups and middle aged folks. By 1920 another version began offing the elderly. Then in the 1930's, the 50's, the 70's (when the US government required vaccinations, some of which were spoiled or contained live virus), and in the 1990's my more seasoned coworkers were dropping like flies. Bring on the Spanish flu part 7. I was down for three weeks with that one and took months to recover.

In other words this new virus is going to mutate from now on. Some versions will be bad. Some not so bad. Then just when you think it's over or perhaps had a calm period WHAM!! It's like a Rocky movie or a Rolling Stones farewell tour……

I still keep masks near, stay 6 feet from others and continue to live like it's flu seaon and my elderly parents would be killed by it. Yet I do not live in fear that my neighbor or that stranger in the checkout line not wearing a mask is a death sentence. Life's too short for that.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-23-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast