HDS Systems        
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Masks thread

Default Re: Masks thread

Byk- I was waiting for a boots on the ground report. Te toothpaste works?
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Flashaholic*

Byk, where there's a will there's a way.. born from necessity 👍

I remember Rain-X anti fog works on under water goggles but in a pinch the toothpaste trick is so far so good.
    Probably have to retreat each time I clean my glasses I suppose.
    John 3:16

A lady at work who supplies our personal protective equipment asked if I needed masks for our project staff. I said "sure" basically knowing we're covered (no pun intended). She asked what we have been using up to now. I showed her the mask I posted in #90. She did the whole "where, how much" and all that.

Mrs Fixer did one more. This one the words are hidden until it is deployed.

The bottom one.
    The top one is mine and after a few days required a second stitch along the bottom.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 05-01-2020 at 05:26 AM.

Very , i am sure mrs fixer can make one with flashaholic on for you

I considered that early on Ven but the essential personnel thing was a hit with my comrads. So we made more. I was the designer, she was the fabricator.
    Several folks have "essential personnel" stickers plastered on vehicles, tractors and what not as well. Folks mentioned marketing but Mrs Fixer and I were paid way more than money with the smiles and thank you's.

I keep one fastened to my shirt via a top button so it can be quickly deployed. Much more comfy than the draped around my neck thing. When wearing it makes my ears all poke out like but if I'm wearing a mask it's for over fashion any day.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 05-01-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Several folks have "essential personnel" stickers plastered on vehicles, tractors and what not as well.
    I've got mixed feelings on that. I'm "essential" per the CISA guidelines, performing systems support for applications that provision critical communications infrastructure. Save for the fact I haven't been to the office for nearly 2 months, my job hasn't much skipped a beat. In fact my vehicle is averaging weeks per gallon as little as I go any further than 200 meters from my house on foot. And based on what I'm seeing, all I accomplished by printing out said letter was sacrificing toner, paper, and some watt hours. As such I'd feel a little silly donning such a thing as a reasonably well-compensated IT professional in a stable role risking pretty much nothing working from home.

There are certainly others out there for whom there's some new sense of purpose suddenly being cast an essential employee, some recognition of the necessary roles they play in society, and possibly winning some respect for what can be thankless, invisible, dangerous - even at the best of times - and poorly-compensated jobs in our economy. So if an OTR truck driver, sanitation worker, lineman, grocery store clerk, hospital employee, maintenance personnel, etc dons the badge good for them.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

The stickers started as a joke on my end. When I received a congratulations from a government agency stating since we in the construction industry have shown we can meet the governments guidelines we have earned the priveledge to keep our jobs.
    Then there was the period we had to don our papers showing that we had the legal right to be out of our homes.

I handed out stickers to grocery clerks, ems workers, truck drivers, drug store workers and the mailman as thank you cards. It's not some self importance badge. If anything it's a way of saying to the government "You need me a lot worse than I need you right now".

Flashaholic

I bought some masks online and filed the receipt as a claim on my pretax flexible spending account at work and was reimbursed. I’m going to try the same with hand sanitizer and gloves next.

My company wrote us an email saying certain "over the counter" items formerly not covered were allowble during the pandemic. No list was attached but it told me you may be right Dave.

But they are providing those of us not working from home masks, wipes and hand sanitizer. I only use the clorox wipes they provide because I already had masks and home made purrel. I just add the stuff to my medicine closet for next years cold and flu season. The masks they provide are not very good so I'll use those next pollen season.

A coworker was concerned about his company not providing decent masks so I gave him my John Deere one. He's a big ole country boy anyway so it was a nice fit to his personality.

My wife and I refuse to comply with the mask REQUIREMENT. We've been in dozens of stores without one and will continue to do so.

Tied a strip of throw away plastic bag to each side to keep the cheap kind around the neck before entering a place that requires a face covering.

You can manipulate these for easier breathing and no fogging eye covers. Afterall, if you need a mask you need eye covering too.

Easy on the neck too.
    I think I'll mail one to my governor to make sure he doesn't forget his in the car next time he's out glad handling the public posing for selfies and kissing babies

Flashaholic*

I like the plastic idea, it can also double as dog doo pick-up.. Actually all these damn masks are full of it (-;

Time will tell KG.

I just saw a neighbors elderly mom pass by without a mask on but was wearing one when she entered his house. She uses a cane now so I'm supposing there's an underlying health issue that has her extra cautious. She's a retired nurse.

Meanwhile some one within ear shot sounds like they are making ready for a zombie attack. Sounds like a. 357 actually.

I have a couple of 3.5" x 6.0" US flags on a stick in my home I'm thinking of fashioning into a face covering. Just alligator clip some elastic to wrap around the ears……
    Edit: sewed on End edit.

And now the lady just left the neighbors house without a mask on carrying a plastic dish I speculate she brought over at some point and now says "don't be a bum son, give me back my Tupper Wear". lol
    Meanwhile I hear the sound of a. 38 off in the distance. Dude must've dialed in the. 357 and now is focusing on the backup.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 06-07-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Will it work?

Looks like it will

USA USA USA

Probably not, unless your goal is spreading patriotism.

Fabric likely too porous, and doesn't seal good on sides and top.

"The researchers used an aerosol mixing chamber to produce particles ranging from 10 nm to 6 μm in diameter. A fan blew the aerosol across various cloth samples at an airflow rate corresponding to a person's respiration at rest, and the team measured the number and size of particles in air before and after passing through the fabric. One layer of a tightly woven cotton sheet combined with two layers of polyester-spandex chiffon -- a sheer fabric often used in evening gowns -- filtered out the most aerosol particles (80-99%, depending on particle size), with performance close to that of an N95 mask material. Substituting the chiffon with natural silk or flannel, or simply using a cotton quilt with cotton-polyester batting, produced similar results."

Purchased some spandex chiffon at JoAnn Fabrics. Pretty hard to work with, since it's slippery and slightly elastic. But the masks came out pretty good.
    Last edited by lion504; 06-09-2020 at 07:22 AM.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

Will it work?

USA USA USA
    Very Patriotic. But one or two layers of flags won't be effective. Sadly very difficult to reproduce the layers of an N95 or KN95 or FFP2 commercial masks with what is most commonly available as raw materials to skilled individuals for DIY projects.

Though again, as others have said, Mrs. fixer has made some very nice masks.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Thanks

My local grocery store had these US made masks for 99 cents each. (10 pack for $9.99)

There were 4 people checking customers out. I bought 5 packs and gave each cashier a pack while keeping one for giving away to people at my work.

My partner and I wearing ours a couple of weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    My partner and I wearing ours a couple of weeks ago
    Do you walk around all day saying - "Arg matey."?

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Ah the pirate life for thee..
    Here in USA, it's so typical that many will take an adversity and make it an avenue of self expression. Of course many will find a way to make money off of those desires to show one's self. Wondering if different areas of USA have different levels of mask individuality. Even more so wondering how other countries in the world do it. Is there a lot of 'mask fashion' going on in Russia, Latvia, Korea, Costa Rica?

My local grocery store had these US made masks for 99 cents each. (10 pack for $9.99)

There were 4 people checking customers out. I bought 5 packs and gave each cashier a pack while keeping one for giving away to people at my work.

Okay, I'm genuinely concerned. KN95s are Made in China. Not America. The U.S. market was recently flooded with fake KN95 masks. There's really only two ways to tell. Both result in ruining a mask from the pack. I actually made a video on my YouTube channel on how to tell if you get fake KN95s vs. real ones. But I won't link it here, as I don't want to be accused of self-promotion on CPF. So I'll link a couple of different videos from different content creators that show the two methods. I hope you got the real thing. But that price for a 10 pack of KN95s sounds far too low.

LINKS ~
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zex4DuB7apA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2vnoRuZ3Cs
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-05-2020 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Typo.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Do you walk around all day saying - "Arg matey."?

well No, but now that you mention it, I`m sure I can adopt it!

Opening the package I see they are Chinese made. No matter Mono because I poked a hole in mine so I can smoke while wearing it.

Good ole American know how
    https://www.facebook.com/eatcallahans/videos/286535589423224?vh=e&d=n&sfns=mo
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-05-2020 at 12:46 PM.

That kind is savage on the backs of my ears. Maybe I just have a really big face that stretches the mask, but those things pull my ears so hard that I look like someone left the car doors open. Still trying to find the ideal mask.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Opening the package I see they are Chinese made. No matter Mono because I poked a hole in mine so I can smoke while wearing it.

Good ole American know how
    https://www.facebook.com/eatcallahans/videos/286535589423224?vh=e&d=n&sfns=mo
    bykfixer,
    That's funny!!!
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    That kind is savage on the backs of my ears. Maybe I just have a really big face that stretches the mask, but those things pull my ears so hard that I look like someone left the car doors open. Still trying to find the ideal mask.

Sounds like you have a large face. KN95s tend to wear a bit big on an average Adult Man's face. Etsy.com is a good place to look for XL sized masks. They're going to be the hand-sewn/ re-usable variety. You want to look for one with a nose-wire and a filter pocket mentioned in the listing. The problem with Etsy is they let literally anyone open up a shop on the website. Before the pandemic hit and I started buying up masks on Etsy, my satisfaction with the far too many shops I'd ordered from in the past through Etsy.... 40%. Since buying up masks, it's gone up to 60%.

Size listings are also subjective as hell based on individual sellers. One seller's Olson style mask listed as an "XL," is going to be an "L" from quite a few other sellers offering the same style of mask. Thankfully, I've waded through the cesspool that is (sometimes) Etsy.

Check out the following two shops on there. I'm not affiliated with either one. I've only purchased masks from both shops in case a neighbor or acquaintance should ever need a true XL size mask.

ElfinForestCreations

QuarantineQuarafts

BTW, Etsy also has shops that sell filters of all kinds. Both commercial and homemade ones too. (Some that are even washable and re-usable.) Since I don't wear an XL mask, I'm worried if a recommend shops on there that sell filters, the ones for your mask might be too small. You'll have to judge the proper size for yourself.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-06-2020 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Typo.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast