• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Emitter Recommendations

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
READ THIS. ALL OF IT before you post. Make sure you understand it.

I am happy to look at your recommendations or wants when it comes to emitters to be put in an HDS and discussing them with Henry.

There are however some caveats.

1. You must post a link where that exact emitter can be purchased.

2. The emitter must have a footprint of 3.5mm X 3.5mm, commonly referred to as 3535 (we won't redesign the board to fit a small number of special emitters as that is time consuming and quite costly for a very small run i.e. under 1000 and we typically don't large runs of special emitters. I would much rather have a large variety than a large quantity.

3. The emitter must not be mounted i.e. not on a MCPCB or circuit board.
[h=1][/h]The valuation criteria for us includes efficiency, special characteristics such as color rendering, nm, how similar it is to one that was previously offered, etc.

Please do not recommend emitters that have already been used in HDS lights. If you want that, hit the used market.

Now, go back and read this again.

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
Technically the XHP35 meets your requirements and would be fun in an HDS, but I have a hunch that you don't have any plans to make a 12V driver...

Gray Matter

Newly Enlightened
Henry looked at closely (twice) but it is less efficient than the XPL and XPG3 so the output would be less.

Thats true. But a great advantage (compared to XPG3) ist a much better tint consistency/no tint shift. Unfortunally the NLT shows a slightly blue spot and a greenish corona.

A SST-20 5000K woluld be a great option too:

https://intl-outdoor.com/catalog/product/view/id/63/s/luminus-sst-20-bare-led/category/48/

SST20 L3 DB 70CRI Neutral White DB: 5000-5350K L3: 903lm@3000mA 85C

Good throw and a good efficiency.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry looked at closely (twice) but it is less efficient than the XPL and XPG3 so the output would be less.
Yep, cant argue there.
Although, as mentioned above, one big advantage is the nicer tint. Being a flat domed emitter, the phosphor theres very little tint shift across the beam. It's practically an objectively nicer beam than the two mentioned, while still being more efficient than the other emitters known for their pleasing tint. A worthwhile middle ground.

The other advantage is throw. While the efficiency is lower, there's less divergence and more light going where you want it, allowing you to use lower output levels and making up for any efficiency differences.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats true. But a great advantage (compared to XPG3) ist a much better tint consistency/no tint shift. Unfortunally the NLT shows a slightly blue spot and a greenish corona.

A SST-20 5000K woluld be a great option too:

https://intl-outdoor.com/catalog/product/view/id/63/s/luminus-sst-20-bare-led/category/48/

SST20 L3 DB 70CRI Neutral White DB: 5000-5350K L3: 903lm@3000mA 85C

Good throw and a good efficiency.

Avoid 5000K sst20 at any cost.
If you don't like blue-yg corona on NLT then you will not fancy even uglier beam coming from this emitter

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other advantage is throw. While the efficiency is lower, there's less divergence and more light going where you want it, allowing you to use lower output levels and making up for any efficiency differences.

There is also this cool bezel some guy put together that greatly increases throw no matter what the emitter is.... trying to think of who it was but is was a great idea and well implemented... it's on the tip of my tongue... LOL!

I've tried twice on this emitter... I did try, but I'm afraid that emitter is dead.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Avoid 5000K sst20 at any cost.
If you don't like blue-yg corona on NLT then you will not fancy even uglier beam coming from this emitter

Remember all the SST20 problems people had with it going green at low levels? Certain bin code that everyone thought was the hottest thing... except at lower levels where it turned green? That particular bin code HDS didn't use in the SST20... and the HDS with the SST20 goes more red and gets higher CRI at lower levels defying all the other lights....

Bin code bin code bin code... driver.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seoul Sunlike

afe-JFql-Tj-ZI.jpg

Page 4 :
https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data ...3030xx9503-00000000-00001_Rev0 3_11-22-18.pdf

"+" :

- 3 V

- very high CRI

- no blue peak in the spectrum (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2831986/ https://www.royalsociety.org.nz/assets/Uploads/Blue-light-Aotearoa-evidence-summary.pdf https://www.uvex-safety.com/blog/th...ders,disturbances and suffering from insomnia.)

"-" :

- size 3030

- relatively low power and energy efficiency

Perhaps over time, more powerful diodes with the same spectra will appear, we need to closely monitor the South Koreans.

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about SW30 of Nichia 219B.

Do you think there are enough people willing to accept 164 lumens maximum?

---
How I get 164 lumens:

sw30 d180
sw35 d200
sw40 d220
sw45k d220

When I ratio the sw30 d180 to sw45 d220, I calculate a reduction in output from 200 lumens to 164 lumens. (180/220*200=164)

Last edited: