26650 BATTERIES TOO HOT or is it the AC DUAL CHARGER I just bought?

b.have

Newly Enlightened
I don't personally like "Universal" battery chargers (those mfg. to house multiple sizes of different batteries) so I went onto Ebay and found a 'Dual' model to _exclusively_ house TWO 26650 Li-Ions. I'm poor and can't afford either two quality Dual chargers -or- two quality, HIGH-DRAIN 26650s.

Because I have no electricity my neighbor lets me recharge my phone/lanterns/flashlights off of her AC. I don't want to abuse her generosity so I bought these two chargers hoping to dramatically reduce the amount of time necessary to charge four 26650 Li-Ions. My long-term plan is to have four DUAL chargers, for a total of 8 _QUALITY_ HIGH-DRAIN 26650s that I can purchase over a 2-year period, one at a time (yes, I _am_ that poor!).

So these two units arrived from China -- each housing two 26650s; each bundled with two "ETSAIR" 26650s: Four batteries total. I don't want to complain but every recharge session was taking forever so I finally asked how the two AC units were working and she said she wasn't using them because "the batteries get so hot I'm worried they might explode!"

Could you experts advise me here? Are the two AC units unsafe? or is it the batteries? I like the two Dual units and am praying your advice will be . . . it's your piece of sh+t batteries!!! I searched the forum but could only find one post where the member stated "his house could have burned down" the bundled batteries were that hot!

I budgeted for the next two Dual chargers from this same Seller (who has the best price) and want to proceed buying them right now because they take so long to arrive from China -- particularly during this PLAGUE. What do you recommend? Thanks everybody.

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Are your 26650 batteries old?
The internal resistance of the lithium battery increases after aging, and the heat will be more serious when charging. The heat of lithium batteries is mostly a sign of battery aging, and its temperature rise to a certain degree is more likely to cause combustion and explosion.
It is not recommended to continue to use lithium batteries when they are too hot.

If not, you can try to charge them with other high quality charger to see whether they are hot.

b.have

Newly Enlightened
No (at least I think not). They were bundled with the Dual chargers. I can't recall whether they were shrink wrapped but I'm almost certain they were.

So. I'm leaning towards getting one "Quality" 26650 battery and seeing if it, too, heats up so I'll search the forums for those brands. Thanks.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello B.have,

Welcome to CPF.

I think more information is needed to help you...

What is the capacity of your cells?
What is the charging rate of your charger?
How hot is "hot?"

When you are using the cells do you notice they are heating up?

Can you gain access to a voltmeter?

Tom

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
etsair is one of those whateverfire brands.
like 12800mah 18650's.
time to recycle the whole mess and start again with trustworthy stuff.
some of those cheap chargers are nothing but a diode,resistor,and holder on a usb cable!
and the ac ones are often severe shock hazards due to lack of isolation.
lots of good stuff at reasonable prices to be had.
nitecore(genuine) chargers come to mind.
and for 26650 the ebl are on ebay from ebl themselves for about $20 shipped for 4.
they test out fine for general use.
not super high drain but fair.

XC351

Newly Enlightened
I don't personally like "Universal" battery chargers (those mfg. to house multiple sizes of different batteries) so I went onto Ebay and found a 'Dual' model to _exclusively_ house TWO 26650 Li-Ions. I'm poor and can't afford either two quality Dual chargers -or- two quality, HIGH-DRAIN 26650s.

Because I have no electricity my neighbor lets me recharge my phone/lanterns/flashlights off of her AC. I don't want to abuse her generosity so I bought these two chargers hoping to dramatically reduce the amount of time necessary to charge four 26650 Li-Ions. My long-term plan is to have four DUAL chargers, for a total of 8 _QUALITY_ HIGH-DRAIN 26650s that I can purchase over a 2-year period, one at a time (yes, I _am_ that poor!).

So these two units arrived from China -- each housing two 26650s; each bundled with two "ETSAIR" 26650s: Four batteries total. I don't want to complain but every recharge session was taking forever so I finally asked how the two AC units were working and she said she wasn't using them because "the batteries get so hot I'm worried they might explode!"

Could you experts advise me here? Are the two AC units unsafe? or is it the batteries? I like the two Dual units and am praying your advice will be . . . it's your piece of sh+t batteries!!! I searched the forum but could only find one post where the member stated "his house could have burned down" the bundled batteries were that hot!

I budgeted for the next two Dual chargers from this same Seller (who has the best price) and want to proceed buying them right now because they take so long to arrive from China -- particularly during this PLAGUE. What do you recommend? Thanks everybody.
Where are you located i have a spare Nitecore charger i could send if the postage isnt too prohibitive.