AW cells?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it has been a number of years now that AW has not been manufacturing new cells? Assuming reasonably well cared for, how trustworthy are AW cells at this point? I have a pair of AW rcr123's that seem to still work well in my Eagtac D3C as well as a pair of 17500's which are functioning very well in my 9P/M91B thus far... Neither lights see a lot of use but if I stick one in my travel gear I don't want to have to worry about the cells (of course, either would have primaries packed as back up).

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen rtd still has a few in stock, but can't find many other places to still have any in stock.

Being that they were discontinued awhile ago, they've been sitting on the shelf for atleast that long .

It's a risk I'd rather not take when other cells have a higher capacity and are just as reliable

If your current aw's are still kicking , I'd keep running them . Especially if you have some backups [emoji1688]

archimedes

Flashaholic
Any (authentic) AW cells are quite old at this point.

Are you primarily concerned about capacity, reliability, or safety ?

Protected or unprotected cells ?

Last edited:

Enlightened
I still use a few old AW cells. If they work then rock on. Quality recently manufactured batteries are cheap though no reason to skimp, I just haven't gotten rid of my old ones.

jmarsh86

Newly Enlightened
I have a bunch of AW's from 2016/2017 and they are still amazing, never had one die on me,

what the hell happened to that guy? I heard the factory burned down but what happened to Andrew?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It seems like there's never any one most-trusted name in Li-ion cells for long, you just get whatever's reputable at the time. I will one day have to change my sigline, been many years since I used an AW cell..

DRoc

Newly Enlightened
AW Batteries

Is anyone still selling these on the forum? Looking to buy some 17500's, but its been awhile since I've purchased any. If anyone has a link or can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AW Batteries

First I guess the location of your thread / question is wrong. It is not an "administrative" problem. At least it looks for me that way. I would have been posted it there:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?9-Flashlight-Electronics-Batteries-Included

Now to your question:
AW is long out of business. You need to check for other branded 17500 cells. You will find out there is not much 17500 available. Most cells are not protected. you can also check out 16500 cells. If I remember correctly efest should offer a protected 16500.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a little update in case anybody is curious. My old AW rcr123 cells from probably 2009 or 2010 tested at 549 and 554mah. This was after a full charge on a Vapcell S4 Plus and the capacity test was done on the same machine. While they are rated at 750mah on the shrink wrap, the 550'ish numbers are right in line with HKJ's test.
I have the 17500 1100mah rated cells cycling now so in a few hours I can post those numbers. Unfortunately I don't see any HJK tests of these cells to compare new capacity with.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the AW 17500 cells (ICR, rated for 1100mah, protected, black label) that I have just finished running and both scored between 935-945mah. I have no idea what their age is or how they have been maintained as I bought them used. I'll call this a win!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the AW 17500 cells (ICR, rated for 1100mah, protected, black label) that I have just finished running and both scored between 935-945mah. I have no idea what their age is or how they have been maintained as I bought them used. I'll call this a win!

Put a 1A-2A drain on them and see what they can do.

Even old, tired cells can trickle out some low currents.

Chris

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use them with my m91b... but really just for short periods.

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I had 2 c cell AWs that were in ROP setup in a 2 cell maglight. one died and the light was unusable. Then FM came out with an extended tailcap and sleeve to let me use 2 18650 batts. Which revived that light which was one of my favorites I think you run those as long as you can but plan on replacing them with more readily available newer batts.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old AW 18650's and 17670's are toast. They won't charge despite my attempts to bridge with a 9V.

I've managed to resurrect my AW 18500's that are running in my M3 since I bored it out.
My little AW RCR123's still run my modded Novatac.

Bigburly912 is correct about keeppower's 17500's, I have two sets of those I got from Illumination Supply that I was using in my M3 before I bored it. Great batts.