Toyota Projector H11 - H9

simanco

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I've just put H9s in place of stock H11s in a 2017 Toyota Highlander with low-beam projectors. It's only night two of driving with the new bulbs and I'm not overly impressed. There's definitely more foreground light. I think there's more light down range. But it's not the upgrade I was expecting.

Is my problem my bulb choice?

I went out of my way to try to find the "best" clear H9. I ordered in Hella High Performance 2.0 bulbs. They aren't clear. They aren't heavily tinted, but they are tinted. I went ahead and modded them and installed them because they seemed to have good reviews.

Half my commute every day is after dark - what would be my best low-beam upgrade choice?

I had HIRs sitting in the old Grand Marquis we never got rid of, so they are now in the highs; that's quite nice.

Thank you!
Jim

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Hi, Jim. Welcome to the board.

I've just put H9s in place of stock H11s in a 2017 Toyota Highlander

Kind of a borderline case -- the high headlamp mount height on a Highlander (compared to the height of the eyes of a driver in a car) mean you're going to be throwing a pretty serious amount of glare. If you're vigilant about lamp aim and don't drive around with heavy loads or towing a trailer, it's probably alright.

Is my problem my bulb choice?

Probably a big chunk of it, yes.

I went out of my way to try to find the "best" clear H9. I ordered in Hella High Performance 2.0 bulbs.

Respectfully: who told you that was a good (let alone the best) bulb? It's nowhere near. It's a gimmicky (blue-tinted) bulb with build quality that's not especially good (which means beam focus winds up suffering) and output that's about average.

Hella is generally a reputable brand, but their bulb line hasn't been worth patronizing in years.

they seemed to have good reviews.

Internet "reviews" are effectively useless. See here. Even if you're not looking at bogus planted reviews (and how would you know if you were?), most people "reviewing" headlamps don't know what the hell they're talking about and aren't qualified to be saying anything substantial about it.

You're much better off with one more like this.

simanco

Newly Enlightened
Resurrecting my thread...

Even after aiming, the H9s weren't so great. Whether they put out more light or not, I couldn't tell it. The aiming made the biggest difference (of course). Still not what I'd like, but ... how about Philips XtremeVision H11s?

Or does anyone have any other recommendations? If the recommendation is that I need to live with what I've got, I'll just be happy! :)

Thanks for any and all advice.

Jim

Sasquatchian

Newly Enlightened
In my '18 Tacoma, which are likely the exact same lights, clear H9's, two different high performance GE H11's and the Phillips Xtreme all measured within 2/10ths of a stop difference using a Minolta Flashmeter VI - basically no real world difference at all between any of those alternatives. The GE Mega +130's were a couple hundred Kelvin cooler than the others as measured with my Sekonic C700, but none of those options even comes close to upgrading to an integrated LED headlight - and don't freak out Virgil, it's the 2020 Tacoma LED assemblies, which are heads and shoulders above those projectors and at 5% over dealer's cost are approximately $1500. Of course I have no idea if Toyota is making that LED option available for the Highlander and even if they do, will they fit. The Taco LED's are not the same as the RAV 4's, which only have three low beam reflector segments rather than the five on the Taco. Now the Taco is on par with our new Forester and since we're not driving at all this year, none of it really matters.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Even after aiming, the H9s weren't so great.

Still with the junky "Hella 2.0" bulbs, or did you ever switch to some good H9s?

Whether they put out more light or not, I couldn't tell it. The aiming made the biggest difference (of course). Still not what I'd like, but ... how about Philips XtremeVision H11s?

That's one of the best H11s on the market, but take a look at this, which was done with projectors very similar to the ones in your vehicle.

simanco

Newly Enlightened
Still with the junky "Hella 2.0" bulbs, or did you ever switch to some good H9s?

... the Osram H9 from the link in your first reply, actually. I think Amazon wound up with some bad bulbs. Because, to my eye, the H9's are as bad as if not worse than the stock long lifes. Which absolute should not be the case!

Nothing about the boxes or bulbs set off any red flags in my head though.

Have grabbed a set of the Extremevision. We'll see how that goes.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
... the Osram H9 from the link in your first reply, actually. I think Amazon wound up with some bad bulbs. Because, to my eye, the H9's are as bad as if not worse than the stock long lifes. Which absolute should not be the case!

The Amazon photo shows the Osram markings just being a sticker on the bulb base. If this is how Osram marks these bulbs, they're basically just asking for someone to counterfeit them. Are there any other markings stamped or laser etched on the metal part of the bulb? (I haven't personally handled H9 bulbs before so I'm not sure how these are typically marked.)

simanco

Newly Enlightened
The Amazon photo shows the Osram markings just being a sticker on the bulb base. If this is how Osram marks these bulbs, they're basically just asking for someone to counterfeit them. Are there any other markings stamped or laser etched on the metal part of the bulb? (I haven't personally handled H9 bulbs before so I'm not sure how these are typically marked.)

What arrived is just like the picture and it's not a sticker... Don't have one handy to look at the metal.

Jim