MTB light - help me choose!

Secateurs

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for another light to complement my Light & Motion Taz 1200. Usually I use this on my bar but it can be put on my helmet (I find it a bit heavy though).

I'm more of an XC rider, and live in a desert area with lots of rocks and open spaces (no trees). There can be a few drops. It can be pretty up-and-down, but not huge, long descents. I'm not that into downhill anyway...

So I'm looking for a light that's versatile (helmet or bar), fairly floody with great beam pattern for riding (most important consideration), high CRI if possible. I'm also after something that lasts longer than my Taz1200. I need 2 hour runtime, but i'm ok with having to change battery/pack part way through. That's not possible with the Taz1200.

I think 1000-1800 usable lumens would be fine. It needs to not PID dim to below about 900lm when riding slow in 30+C temperatures. I'm looking at not more than $AUD400. Bonus if it is easily repairable/moddable. Bonus if it has multiple battery/charging options of if I can build my own battery pack for it in the future.

My shortlist so far (in no particular order):
Light & Motion Seca Race
Outbound Lighting Trail
Indigo 5.01 ($99!)
Zebralight SC700d (or Fd)
Gloworm X2 Adventure.

As you can see, there's a mixture of one-piece and head/pack designs. I'm not too fussed. As long as the one-piece designs can either have an external pack plugged in or field-replaceable battery.

I'm probably leaning toward the ZL at the moment, with something like a TwoFish Lockblock to mount it (if it fits?)

Thanks!

Last edited: