Arc AAA Survives Cave Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
So I went into the Nutty Putty caves in utah the other day, with just my arc AAA for a light. Now I really should have had a headlight, but the ARC is so small I could easily hold it in my hand while using that hand for support! I had it on a lanyard that fit my wrist snug so it could dangle it while on ropes or climbing. I didn't really baby it, as soon as I got inside it was filthy so I never turned it off to keep grime out of the inside. It also took a few raps against the walls/floors. One spot on the head took a mark but it looks like the aluminum dented just a little and the coating is fine. The knurling held onto the "putty" well and it took a toothbrush to get it out. This is just a rave for the light, I've only had it a few days and was very impressed with its performance. Something with type II coating would not have faired so well, and the LED had great color for checking things out inside the cave. I really wouldn't have wanted something much brighter, it was more that enough. Also, I've read about the recent bug and playing with it myself and other's turning it on and off a few dozen times when they check it out hasn't produced a failure to light. It was stamped checked Mar 15 I think so it must be the new batch.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my ArcAAA several times with me caving, as a backup (but never needed it as such as I use the most relyable caving light ever made .-) and for lighting the instruments while surveying.
It turned out to be enough waterproof, but the cave mud made it work much harder and it will damage the O-ring after a while.
(BTW, now I use a MicroIlluminator as a second light).

In the meanwhile it suffers from the early ArcAAA unrelyability problem.

And the cave mud blinded the reflector and did not really improve the LED. And the cave mud in between the LED and the reflector is not easy to remove.
A light with a glass lens in front is highly preferable.

And I agree that it is sufficient for smaller caves with light walls. I've been caving with much less light (like a 2mm carbide flame)

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF, Anti_candescent!
Haven't been spelunking in years, but glad your AAA held up well. But if I do, my new Tikka+ will come in handy!

daloosh

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
Yes, the beam was great to inspect crystals and fossils, and would light things up as far as light could travel in there. What do you think of the microilluminator while you AAA is in limbo? I had to get into the bezel a bit to clean the mud out near the LED where it could jam up. It really wasn't the tool for the job, but like you said a great backup, extra light. Clipping it onto your head wouldn't be tough, though. Thanks for the welcomes to a new user, also!

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly off-topic: We do not look at the Tikka as cave-proof and, as I wrote, the same turned out for my ArcAAA.

The MicroIlluminator was better because of the glass lens and the easier one hand use, but the ArcAAA is better for surveying as it is dimmer.

Lamps like the ArcAAA can easily attached to your hardhat with a strong rubber ring (old O-ring, piece of an inner tube) through the ventilation holes.
If you drill a hole and feed through a cable tie so that the tie's 'head' is inside, you can attach your light and aim it a little bit down. You may even use it to illuminate your survey instruments (depending on which brand you use) then.
When your primary light is running on AA cells, the ArcAA makes more sense, of course.

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
I wish you could get a Premium AA. The beam of the AA is brighter and would be that much better with an SB1. And maybe its not that much brighter....but the bezel makes for a slightly wider/more even beam, which would be that much nicer with an SB1!!! Consumer input here!!

sslavers

Newly Enlightened
i do believe the arc AA is a premium, there is no standard version, they are the premium picked nichia led's. i might be wrong, so you might want to run a search to make sure.

sol lavers

paulr

Flashaholic
The AA uses the same led as the AAA-LE, according to Peter's posts when it came out.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the Arc-AA uses the same LED as the Standard Arc-AAA, the B2S Nichia. The larger reflector blends the beam to make it look less blue.

Peter

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
I would buy a premium AA if you cranked out a batch. (and promised to hold on to one for me) Is it as easy as it sounds to just use to other (premium) LED, or is there more involved?

It could be called the ARC ANTIAA-P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
I must re-stir this. Is there anyone else that would be intrested in a premium AA? Would that be pushing the price near the (just get an LS) range? I like the LS series, but I like the k.i.s.s. mentality in the aaa/aa's. But the LS is pretty simple/tough I hear.

Well would anyone else buy a premium AA?

Status
Not open for further replies.