Some help lighting a toy

D

Darksbane

Hi,
I recently bought This Plastic Figure and want to place a light under it to illuminate the translucent portions. I know next to nothing about this stuff. I know I need something bright which runs pretty cold (so it doesn't melt the statue). Is a LED something that fits that bill? What temp do they normally run at? Any help you all could give would be appreciated.

Harrkev

Enlightened
A normal 5mm led will generate almost no heat (as long as you are not abusing it). I assume that wall power is OK. Just make a box of some sort with a clear top. Then use a "wall wart" power supply to power a few LEDs. Just use a resistor in line with each LED.

You will need power of at least 5 volts or so. You can scavenge one from an old dead answering machine or something. Let us know what you have lying around, and we can tell you how to hook it up. Be sure to include the voltage and current ratings.

BTW: I assume that you can solder and that you own a multimeter and soldering iron.

I have also seen pre-made boxes for this sort of thing, but it used multi-colored lights, and the color shifted over time. If this is OK, then you can buy a pre-made one.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The hologram to the left is illuminated by a white led. It's connected to a wall wart that produces 6 volt dc, and a resistor to keep the current at a safe level. I had to add a small electrolytic capacitor to the circuit to even out the voltage peaks.

The wall wart has two wires coming from it supplying DC voltage
The capacitor goes between the two wires, the resistor goes between the wire and one leg of the LED. The other leg of the LED goes to the other wire.

Daniel