• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Jeers to Internet Scammers

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
These guys are getting good. I've been sent 2 emails in the last few weeks with the same oddly specific light and I almost bit! The light is an all silver Vari-Beam, new in box. It is very rare and has no leads in Google Image Reverse Search I figured no way it could be a scam until the "seller" demanded a money order and more prompt replies on my part. He had no phone number, couldn't email/text additional pics but claimed to have a large number of them and would sell me one and then maybe more.

I told him sorry I'd have to pass and chalked it up as bad deal until I was e-mailed the same exact picture and similar story less than a week later. Both e-mail addresses were from a tutanota.com domain which advertises itself as being secure but is a known haven for scammers. This time I got an address, phone number and reported it to the USPS Postal Inspectors Mail Fraud division. The link is at: https://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx and those facing similar scams should report it even if no losses occur. I doubt they'll do anything but mainly wanted to give a heads up to the rest of the community that these scammers are getting very sophisticated with these scams. Pay attention to your gut! If there's too many red flags it's probably a scam.

I would not be surprised if they start to do this with other flashlight brands as well seeing as how the prices are going up considerably on some of the older lights. I have heard of a very similar scam for other collectibles as well. A picture of the light offered for sale is shown below for reference as I'm sure the scammer will try this again to someone else.

Yxh3isU.jpg

UPDATE: USPS reached out to me and said they investigate all leads and that if the address has been submitted to them before they will investigate even more thoroughly. In the mean time I took a little action of my own. Most of these addresses are forwarding addresses to other countries so when letters come in they pay a good bit of money to have them forwarded on. By sending a letter to that address, even if empty, you're helping to support the post office and taking some dollars out of the scammers pockets. I've also sent leaves as payment in indigenous currency. You can make up your own fun letters or letter fillers. Expired coupons or old concert tickets work well. Anything in the junk drawer really.

BGYTCki.jpg

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hey Liftd, I understand your frustration, but please review both the specific C'n'J rules and the general CPF rules.

Please adjust your OP to comply.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not finding where specifically this is mentioned. I'm guessing it was the posting of the email addresses in my screen shots? If I edit the addresses out can I repost them?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

Updated! Thanks for the reference.

A little off track but what makes that mag rare? Is it not a mag?

I have a detailed post on my blog about these at: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2017/06/vari-beams.html They were also covered in the Rare Maglites thread although they're a little tough to find now that it has gotten so long. They were a "civilian" brand of lights Mag tried to spinoff in the 80s that weren't so successful then but are highly collectible today.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found out there is a CPF member on here offering the same lights for sale so just want to warn the CPF members here. Be wary of any PMs you get offering lights for sale with many red flags.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I just found out there is a CPF member on here offering the same lights for sale so just want to warn the CPF members here. Be wary of any PMs you get offering lights for sale with many red flags.

FYI, an exception to the following has been requested ....

Emails, PM's, real names, addresses and personal phone numbers are inherently private. If you don't have permission, don't quote or post (in part or whole) any of them here without explicit permission. (There are some instances where certain personal information may be posted without permission from the other party involved. Those instances are rare and they must be approved by a member of the CPF staff before being posted.)

This request was forwarded to CPF Admin, and has been granted by them in this case.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.

Just a heads up for everyone here I have reason to believe the user is on CPF as well, user name mmalive12 which is almost identical to the e-mail address below. He has some cryptic posts appearing to offer this same light for sale on here too in violation of CPF rules in threads other than WTS.

EzMTYOe.jpg

YqX1BcM.jpg

YlconQx.jpg

The first time I was solicited I politely declined. About a week later I received another e-mail with the same proposition from a different e-mail address. Both from the same domain and both signed Doug on the e-mails. If this isn't a scam I'd be shocked.

Also after some digging the pics turned up from an expired Offer Up ad from a few years back.

I offered the seller $1,000 cash if he could produce a photograph of all of the lights with a piece of paper with the his e-mail address and date before reporting his address to the US Postal Inspectors and making this post. Needless to say it didn't happen.

Last edited: