Removing a stuck battery

pharden

Newly Enlightened
I have a penlight with 3 AAA batteries. I went to use it today and of course it wouldn't work. When I went to replace the batteries two came right out but the third battery is stuck in the penlight. Any suggestions on how to remove it/

Thanks, Paul

thermal guy

Flashaholic
There are a few threads here discussing that issue. Lots of options. Can you bang it down try to dislodge it? There are other ways if you want to get more in-depth but this usually gets people heated up here. "Safety stuff". But if it's a inexpensive light that doesn't have any meaning to you.Best bet is to chuck her. And NEVER use alkaline batteries in a light you would like to keep. Or at least don't keep them inside the light if not in use

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
There is a thread like this about every 6 months here and the options are the same.
1) check replacement warranty of the batteries that leaked and if warranted contact the battery company.
2) check to see you can remove both top and bottom and if you can pound the battery out the other end.
3) try using vinegar to see if it can dissolve the chemicals, this rarely works because often the battery swells before it leaks and it is hard to get to the chemicals on the sides of the cell that have helped it glue it in there.
4) toss the light in the trash and invest in nimh and lithium primaries and use them instead in anything that has a tube that can end up like this.
One other option is to drill the battery out but this can be hard to do for most folks.
If you do get the battery out it sometimes leaves the tube damaged needing to be cleaned up sanded etc so the batteries can slide in/out easily and not get stuck again.

Last edited:

pharden

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the tips. I think I'm at the point of just tossing it, but its the second penlight that its happened to in the past 6 months.

There is a thread like this about every 6 months here and the options are the same.
1) check replacement warranty of the batteries that leaked and if warranted contact the battery company.
2) check to see you can remove both top and bottom and if you can pound the battery out the other end.
3) try using vinegar to see if it can dissolve the chemicals, this rarely works because often the battery swells before it leaks and it is hard to get to the chemicals on the sides of the cell that have helped it glue it in there.
4) toss the light in the trash and invest in nimh and lithium primaries and use them instead in anything that has a tube that can end up like this.
One other option is to drill the battery out but this can be hard to do for most folks.
If you do get the battery out it sometimes leaves the tube damaged needing to be cleaned up sanded etc so the batteries can slide in/out easily and not get stuck again.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thank you for the tips. I think I'm at the point of just tossing it, but its the second penlight that its happened to in the past 6 months.
I've tossed a few alkaleaked lights myself over the decades especially back when there wasn't anything else better.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Dude,

Only use lithium or rechargeable batteries. I have them in everything, I think I have everything running on lithium or Rechargeable's. It is not worth the frustration and cost of having to toss out and replace equipment. We all have a ton of things with batteries, and to manage all our gear with the cheap batteries is not worth it.

Best,

RL

jross20

Newly Enlightened
Man I'm currently struggling with the same thing on my step dad's old 3D maglite. The first battery gave way, but the second one seems almost welded in place.

I'm actually going to call Duracell tomorrow and see if they will replace it.

I'm new to modding flashlights, so if my first build goes well I'll probably be upgrading one for the step dad as well as a nice gift.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I called them 2 days ago to let them know their batteries killed my ml25lt 2c light,177 lumens. Yesterday they sent my payment to my credit card. I've got the 192 lumen version now on the way