A new AA light for a simple man

Priestly

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I currently have a Quark Pro. It's a great light with a simple clicky/twisty UI. It has served me well for about seven years but being here in the Philippines now, it's become harder than I thought it would be to get good 123s. I have a AA tube for the Quark but when using it, the light has a mind of its own and often goes out or changes intensity.

So, it's time for a new light but - it's been seven years! :eek:oo:

I like the looks of the Fenix FD20 but I'm not sold on the dial-a-beam aspect or the no-choice Cree lottery LEDs. I have no practical experience with it though.

Here's what I like:

1) 2xAA
2) Simple UI
3) A low low, a bright high, and something in-between
4) I like neutral over warm tints and warm tints over cool
5) Floody more than Throwy as I'm in an urban setting with no real open spaces
6) A cost around US$50

Is the FD20 it? I'd love to look at other brands. I've been away from the CPF life for a long time, though.

I thank you in advance.

Priestly

LRJ88

Enlightened
I used to have the old Fenix LD22 and that was great, sadly i gave it away because i didn't appreciate it as much at the time.

A month or so ago i ordered some Sofirn sf13 which i've not yet received, however they do seem to fit in with your requirements apart from floody. Otherwise you do have flashlights like the Lumintop Tool25 and their other 2xAA flashlight as well.

The main issue i can see is more getting something floody rather than throwy, although you can easily fix that yourself with a piece of frosted tape just put over the lens.

boo5ted

Enlightened
TOOL AA 2.0 with the nichia, can't get more simple or better value for the money.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
TOOL AA 2.0 with the nichia, can't get more simple or better value for the money.
I agree. I love mine.If you shop around you can get the kit that includes a magnetic tail cap as well as the on/off one. I run a 14500 cell in mine for the etra brightness.
For not much more than your budget you can get the deluxe set with both endcaps, a couple of 14500 cells and a good charger, or the light, some NiMH cells and the charger. [Could be the same charger, then you could run either type of cell as well as AA primaries]

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like memory there are a ton of options. If you don't there are very few. If you want high cri even fewer.

I can vouch for the jaxman E3 as a simple and relatively robust 1aa high cri with simple 3 mode no memory. Sofirn sp10s as well but side switch and 4 modes. Have you looked at the new quarks? They are a little pricey but might be nice for you. I have a nitecore mt2a coming in the mail which might be a good choice as well but I can't speak for that yet.

Priestly

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I like that Lumitop. The MT2A is a gorgeous thing, too. I guess I need to do some reading. Thanks again!

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Quark QK2A MKIII (2xAA) – darksucks.com.

They also have a new 1 AA body you can get so you can lego.

I'll come in and vouch for that Quark...I was pleasantly surprised by the beam quality from the 319A...although "only" 80 CRI it's a very pleasant neutral beam that renders colors nicely.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThruNite Archer 2A V3?

I was about to suggest the same light.
Archer 2A is available in neutral tint and has an ultra-low level.
The led is XP-L, from the videos I saw on Youtube it has a good beam, the price on Amazon is good enough
I don't like the spacing of the light levels, there is a jump from 75 to 500 lumens.
I assume that the 500 lumens are reachable only with Eneloop and for a short period.
One of these days I have to decide to buy this light to see it, so far I have been discouraged by the lack of an intermediate level (example: 200 lumens)
from the manufacturer's website:
Firefly: 0.2 lumen(28days);
Low: 17 lumen(4days);
Medium: 75 lumen(11hours)
High: 500 lumen(96minutes);
Strobe: 500 lumen(140minutes)

I would prefer Fenix but I don't think there is currently a neutral tint offer on this type of 2xAA ights.
If you are satisfied with a cool withe tint, a 2xAA Fenix with good characteristics (E20 V2.0) has recently been announced, it has a flood beam