HDS Systems        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Fenix TK30 LEP White Laser Flashlight

Default Re: New Fenix TK30 LEP White Laser Flashlight

"Hello. Is it normal to have a dark vertical line below the hotspot? It doesnít obscure the hotspot, but is noticeable when shining it pretty close. Thanks."

Mine does not have that, there is part of the corona that is not uniform but you'd really, really have to look to find it and you'd never even see it outdoors, I really tried to examine mine and it took forever to notice on a wall, now I'm blind.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by blub View Post

Mine does not have that, there is part of the corona that is not uniform but you'd really, really have to look to find it and you'd never even see it outdoors, I really tried to examine mine and it took forever to notice on a wall, now I'm blind.
    Yeah it is pretty harsh on the eyes when it reflects off glass or white wall. But it still amazes me that you can see the beam of light even in broad daylight.

I watched a video on YouTube and I saw the same line on that posterís light. I guess itís just part of some of the lights.

Yes, it's a great light, no need to carry on of those big lights anymore.

Yes I think for this light to really appeal to the general crowd it needs to be more versatile. Meaning more spill. A LEP isnít going to give you that by itself but something with a dual reflector one with leds and one with a lep would really be cool.It has its usefulness now but in a very small group of users.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I just read a post somewhere that said the Fenix only has like a 1,200 meter beam while the Acebeam W30 has almost double that. Anyone know why that would be? Pretty disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Yes I think for this light to really appeal to the general crowd it needs to be more versatile. Meaning more spill. A LEP isnít going to give you that by itself but something with a dual reflector one with leds and one with a lep would really be cool.It has its usefulness now but in a very small group of users.
    Matt Smith (Vestureofblood here on CPF) briefly showed what would happen if you put one of those florescent light diffuser panels in front of the W30 and it diffused it into a perfectly useable beam for close to medium range. Something like that should be included as a standard accessory to any LEP light.

EDIT: Go to 11:03 on the video. I tried to embed it to start at that time, but I guess that feature isn't supported in the forum software.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

I had no idea when I woke up today I would be buying more flashlights until I got an email from Fenix advertising two new lights. Then I decided to look at their catalog and I ended up buying the TK30. I have seen this video from Matt before and I knew I had to have one but for whatever reason never pulled the trigger on the Acebeam. I have been a big fan of Fenix for a while now and once I saw they came out with a LEP I knew I had to have it. I emailed the Fenix customer support as instructed on their page and they were super quick to respond with a link to complete my purchase as well as giving me a first responder discount of 30% off. I think the total price I paid was $188.97 with free shipping to boot. Just thought I would share if anyone was interested in acquiring one. I will try to take some video and pictures with it once it comes in and share them on here. I tried searching on youtube and I think there is only one video of the TK30 in action and it's pretty brief.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by busseguy View Post
    I just read a post somewhere that said the Fenix only has like a 1,200 meter beam while the Acebeam W30 has almost double that. Anyone know why that would be? Pretty disappointing.
    This is not clear cut. The Fenix is just as powerful, and outputs just as much light, but the hotspot is much, much larger than the W30's. The W30 has a very small tiny intense spot, so it is able to achieve those high candela numbers and longer range. I believe the Jetbeam's spot is even smaller still. The focusing of everything plays a big role too, one brands focusing could be tighter due to better design.

Then again, the purpose of LEP is ultimate range, so yeah it only makes sense to shoot for highest throw/candela. But a light like the Fenix is probably more useful in close medium range situatiions.

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    This is not clear cut. The Fenix is just as powerful, and outputs just as much light, but the hotspot is much, much larger than the W30's. The W30 has a very small tiny intense spot, so it is able to achieve those high candela numbers and longer range. I believe the Jetbeam's spot is even smaller still. The focusing of everything plays a big role too, one brands focusing could be tighter due to better design.

Then again, the purpose of LEP is ultimate range, so yeah it only makes sense to shoot for highest throw/candela. But a light like the Fenix is probably more useful in close medium range situatiions.

I donít know why I didnít think of that. Thank you for the info :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post

I forgot to mention that I had an Acebeam T27 and I was pretty disappointed in it. It claims around 1180 meters throw but definitely didnít seem like it to me. Plus it had way to much spill for my liking. Do you think the Fenix LEP will have a much brighter hot spot than the Acebeam?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by busseguy View Post
    I forgot to mention that I had an Acebeam T27 and I was pretty disappointed in it. It claims around 1180 meters throw but definitely didnít seem like it to me. Plus it had way to much spill for my liking. Do you think the Fenix LEP will have a much brighter hot spot than the Acebeam?
    I would expect them to be similar to be honest. Except the Fenix can fit in your pocket though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12