Imalent        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fenix TK30 LEP White Laser Flashlight

Flashaholic

Default New Fenix TK30 LEP White Laser Flashlight

Searched around a bit and didn't see this one mentioned anywhere. It appears to have similar performance to the Acebeam W10 Gen 2, except having a much, much needed (IMO) low mode.

Strange they decided to re-use the TK30 naming (I classic I completely forgot about until seeing this naming).

Olight has a new LEP on the way, though it's output will be far less, according to their own specifications. Acebeam apparenly also have a few new LEP's up their sleeve on the way.

The TK30 could be a good fit for those who didn't get a chance to pick up a W10.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk...er-flashlight/

Default Re: New Fenix TK30 LEP White Laser Flashlight

Does provide an amazing throw. Specially for the size. But the price.. wow!

Flashaholic

Well, on paper, the TK30 actually goes to show what a monster the Acebeam W30 is. Then again, we know Acebeam can be a bit optimistic on their output specs, whereas Fenix would tend to be more conservative, so the gap might not be as big as paper is suggesting.

Overall though, the TK30 looks promising. My only concern is with Acebeam having new models coming out, the fear of this being outclassed when their released does come to mind. We will have to see what they come up with.

I've got a copy of this light. It completely out throws all of my other Fenix flashlights, including the HT18. Attached to my AR10 is where it will live. I don't have a lot of other lights to compare it to but I hope to have a video of it up soon. In the meantime, if anyone has any questions about the light, I'll do my best to provide some feedback.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ICU812 View Post
    I've got a copy of this light. It completely out throws all of my other Fenix flashlights, including the HT18. Attached to my AR10 is where it will live. I don't have a lot of other lights to compare it to but I hope to have a video of it up soon. In the meantime, if anyone has any questions about the light, I'll do my best to provide some feedback.
    Sounds like the throw is legit on this light. The fact that Fenix advertises this light as being weapon mountable must mean they have high confidence in it's durability, whereas with previous LEP's, durability is a concern. A video of the beam would be useful indeed.

Previously not showing much interest in LEP's, this new light has certainly sparked my interest.

Where I do have confusion is some of the specifications on candela and throw distance measurements that some of these manufacturers are giving. For example, Jetbeam just released a new model, M2S LEP that is claiming over 800,000 candela at 480lumens. Unless there is something I'm not understanding correctly, I have a hard time grasping how Jetbeam has managed to produce an astronomical higher amount of throw from a light of the same size and output as the Fenix at 363,000 candela, which is about where the Acebeam W10 is.

I have no doubts about the reliability, durability, and excellent warranty and customer service of Fenix. Hopefully, some of these will fall into the hands of reviewers soon.

Moving this to the "LEP" forum ....and left a redirect in place, for the OP (and others)
    ... is the archimedes peak

Is their an ETA for this light?

If you are military or police/emt or fire department, you should be able to get one. Youíll have to go here. https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...er-flashlight/

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    Sounds like the throw is legit on this light. The fact that Fenix advertises this light as being weapon mountable must mean they have high confidence in it's durability, whereas with previous LEP's, durability is a concern. A video of the beam would be useful indeed.

Previously not showing much interest in LEP's, this new light has certainly sparked my interest.

Where I do have confusion is some of the specifications on candela and throw distance measurements that some of these manufacturers are giving. For example, Jetbeam just released a new model, M2S LEP that is claiming over 800,000 candela at 480lumens. Unless there is something I'm not understanding correctly, I have a hard time grasping how Jetbeam has managed to produce an astronomical higher amount of throw from a light of the same size and output as the Fenix at 363,000 candela, which is about where the Acebeam W10 is.

I have no doubts about the reliability, durability, and excellent warranty and customer service of Fenix. Hopefully, some of these will fall into the hands of reviewers soon.

This is my first LEP light. Iíve had a lot of other lights in LED that are throwers but Iíve never had a light with a beam as tight as this one. There literally is zero spill from what I can tell. For instance, I can shine the light down a long hallway and the hallway is still dark even though the beam is shinning through it. Once the beam hits a wall in the other room then light bounces around off that wall. But the beam has zero spill. Itís amazing.

Let me say this though. I wanted to buy two, one to keep on my rifle and the other to edc. After purchasing the first one and using it I wonít be buying a second to use as an edc. The beam is so tight that you canít see anything else in a room other than where the beam touches. If I use my PD36R I have a hotspot but also some spill that helps me to see everything else around me to some extent. Not so much with the TK30. Obviously that is not a con or knock on the light because Iím pretty sure it wasnít designed as an edc light. I had personally hoped I could use it for that. I may buy a second one for another rifle build but as it stands one is enough.

I did buy the fenix rifle mount and it works perfect for a 1913 picatinny rail.

Their website shows one mounted on an AR-15. That's pretty brave on their part, they must have faith in their construction.

If you are military or police/emt or fire department, you should be able to get one. Youíll have to go here. https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...er-flashlight/
    Thanks for the info. Big Brother...irritating to say the least.

Wow.... I saw this a week or two ago and have been wanting to see it in action. Pretty sweet tech. Fenix might not always make the details right (at least the way I want them haha) in their lights, but they have come out with some super innovative lights over the years.

Edit: That price though... just saw it lol. Ugh!! I should have imagined it would be so expensive for something overall pretty new and different.
    Last edited by martinaee; 04-23-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    Is their an ETA for this light?
    Already available at dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post

Edit: That price though... just saw it lol. Ugh!! I should have imagined it would be so expensive for something overall pretty new and different.
    There is quite a bit of tech in this light. I honestly thought it would come in at a higher price than what it did.

The 6061-T6 aluminum is a nice touch too IMO. I think Elzetta uses this same aluminum in their lights.

There is quite a bit of tech in this light. I honestly thought it would come in at a higher price than what it did.

The 6061-T6 aluminum is a nice touch too IMO. I think Elzetta uses this same aluminum in their lights.
    Fenix, and most others use 6061-T6.

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Fenix, and most others use 6061-T6.
    Fenix uses the T6 treatment in all of their lights? The description for the majority of their lights only state aircraft grade aluminum. Maybe you have more information or links?

I think this Technology is amazing, but then again I smile every time I use a microwave😁 I wouldnít mind getting one just to see how it is and to play with but think itís a very niche item. I think in one photo it shows a correctional officer using it to light up a cell. And thatís a perfect example of what itís designed for. Now if they come out with a hybrid one. LEP in the center and a ring of LEDís around it kinda like an A2 then I think there would be much more interest in it and you would have a led to light up and area and a LEP in the center to throw basically forever. Now that would be cool
    Last edited by thermal guy; 04-26-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Already available at dealers.
    Do not see it at any US Dealers

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I think this Technology is amazing, but then again I smile every time I use a microwave I wouldnít mind getting one just to see how it is and to play with but think itís a very niche item. I think in one photo it shows a correctional officer using it to light up a cell. And thatís a perfect example of what itís designed for. Now if they come out with a hybrid one. LEP in the center and a ring of LEDís around it kinda like an A2 then I think there would be much more interest in it and you would have a led to light up and area and a LEP in the center to throw basically forever. Now that would be cool
    Excellent idea!

How is the durability on LEP lights? It makes me nervous seeing as how they have little mirrors inside to reflect the light. I take care of my stuff but accidents happen.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by busseguy View Post
    How is the durability on LEP lights? It makes me nervous seeing as how they have little mirrors inside to reflect the light. I take care of my stuff but accidents happen.
    Less durable than a standard LED light, how much so? IDK, enough that I wouldn't count on one in a mission critical scenario. You'll notice Fenix has their's weapon mounted in their advertisement. Maybe they figured out a way to increase durability, hence the very high price.

Here's a video comparing all of the beams from most of the currently available LEP lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ggr...ature=youtu.be

As you can see, the jetbeam m2s does have a noticeably tighter beam, perhaps only 2/3 in diameter as the other similarly sized ones. It appears they maximized throw/form factor ratio, and as many people note, having a beam as tight and focused as that of the w30 is a downside in many scenarios. It seems the m2s is in between the larger models and the smaller models. I have one coming in soon, but it will be my only LEP light so I won't be able to compare it to the other smaller ones.

Flashaholic

Autumncrown, thanks for sharing that. I would like to see company's making LEP's that, instead of focusing on ultimate throw, rather instead focusing on making wider, larger, more useful beams.

Autumncrown, thanks for sharing that. I would like to see company's making LEP's that, instead of focusing on ultimate throw, rather instead focusing on making wider, larger, more useful beams.
    Yes - flashlights have always been designed with the assumption that there will be plenty of flood, and you have to work toward adding throw. LEPs flip the script, such that you have to engineer throw back into a coherent beam. This will probably take time, but I think LEP zoomies will be showing up before too long. LEPs are already more complicated than LED lights, so there is no ultra durable, simple design philosophy to be tainted by the addition of a zoom. That said, non-zooming lights, be they LED or LEP, will always have an advantage in durability, and I am not sure how much of an advantage LEPs offer over traditional LEDs such that there are that many use cases for a floody/throwy combo LEP.

I got my TK30 today, pretty impressive for how small it is. Out throws my big ol' Acebeam K70 and TK30 is the size of a 18650 light
    Not a very good picture, I was on a bike ride and only had my phone but I lit up this palm tree over 330 yards out and it wasn't even dark yet. I just went out in the dark and lit up a house thats 610 yards out and a tree 400 yards away measured on google maps.
    It's pretty light around here with all the streetlights but I could still tell it was lighting stuff up a long way out. I see no reason to lug around that Acebeam anymore. I'd rather carry two small lights, TK30 for distance and my HDS for everything else.

https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/...m1oDwY_QRXX_jH
    Last edited by blub; 05-24-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blub View Post
    I got my TK30 today, pretty impressive for how small it is. Out throws my big ol' Acebeam K70 and TK30 is the size of a 18650 light
    Not a very good picture, I was on a bike ride and only had my phone but I lit up this palm tree over 330 yards out and it wasn't even dark yet. I just went out in the dark and lit up a house thats 610 yards out and a tree 400 yards away measured on google maps.
    It's pretty light around here with all the streetlights but I could still tell it was lighting stuff up a long way out. I see no reason to lug around that Acebeam anymore. I'd rather carry two small lights, TK30 for distance and my HDS for everything else.

https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/...m1oDwY_QRXX_jH

Is the hotspot really as tiny as it looks on videos?

At about 35' it's about 3 1/2', it does have a bit of spill, not totally a round sharp spot like a theater spotlight or a zooming light.
    Once you get past a certain point say 60-70 yards the spot is about 18-20' and stays that way out to about 120 yards.

I like it because looking through trees and other obstacles it doesn't light everything in the foreground and blind me like some other searchlights with a lot of spill. You can aim it down the street without lighting up the whole neighborhood. The house I lit up at the end of the street at 610 yards lit up pretty much the whole house so it's not like it's a narrow laser beam, my laser puts a tiny dot on that same house.

I tried it against my Acebeam K70 and it does throw further than that and there is more spill on the K70 lighting up the foreground that you can't see as far also. It has high and low along with the strobe so it's a bit more useful than the others. I was going to make a diffuser for it and maybe tone it down a bit for closer work.
    Last edited by blub; 05-25-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blub View Post
    At about 35' it's about 3 1/2', it does have a bit of spill, not totally a round sharp spot like a theater spotlight or a zooming light.
    Once you get past a certain point say 20-30 yards the spot stays the same size at about 18-20'.

I like it because looking through trees and other obstacles it doesn't light everything in the foreground and blind me like some other searchlights with a lot of spill. You can aim it down the street without lighting up the whole neighborhood. The house I lit up at the end of the street at 610 yards lit up pretty much the whole house so it's not like it's a narrow laser beam, my laser puts a tiny dot on that same house.

I tried it against my Acebeam K70 and it does throw further than that and there is more spill on the K70 lighting up the foreground that you can't see as far also. It has high and low along with the strobe so it's a bit more useful than the others. I was going to make a diffuser for it and maybe tone it down a bit for closer work.

Thank you for the info :-)

Sure! Sorry, just google mapped the distance, that should read 60-70 yards where I wrote 20-30 yards

Enlightened

Hello. Is it normal to have a dark vertical line below the hotspot? It doesnít obscure the hotspot, but is noticeable when shining it pretty close. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I think this Technology is amazing, but then again I smile every time I use a microwave I wouldnít mind getting one just to see how it is and to play with but think itís a very niche item. I think in one photo it shows a correctional officer using it to light up a cell. And thatís a perfect example of what itís designed for. Now if they come out with a hybrid one. LEP in the center and a ring of LEDís around it kinda like an A2 then I think there would be much more interest in it and you would have a led to light up and area and a LEP in the center to throw basically forever. Now that would be cool
    That would be cool. Or something like a TK72, but instead of three reflectors it has one LEP, one traditional reflector LED, and one triple or quad optic. Now that would be one helluva versatile light.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast