Candles?

UVLaser

Enlightened
Hi,
You know how they have high intensity glow sticks and 360 extreme bright Krill lights. Well do they have high intensity candles? Or whiter flame color /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif? Or somthing like that? Because most people use candles when a black out happens, well my family sure dose.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't believe there are high intensity candles.. altho i have seen candles that burn different colors!

but a candle's a candle as far as i know.

you might wanna look into an Elektrolumens Blaster 3 as an alternative. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I know of, but they do have multi-wick ones for larger sizes. Kind of the same issues and solutions that one would get for 5mm leds: just add more of them.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. I guess if you need two candlepower you simply use two candles. That has a certain simplicity I find appealing.

I wonder if you can still get candles with marks along their length for keeping track of time. That would make run time tests unnecessary as you could just count the marks.

All my candles seem to be fully regulated. The light intensity seems to be constant right up to the end. No tailcap switch though.

P.S. I've heard that some people burn their candles at both ends. Anyone here tried that?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
eluminator,

#1--Yes, you can find them on line, I think I used a search like "time candles" a few months ago. (I needed them for a daughters school project if I remember right)

#2--Regulation may vary with airflow, candle chimney, size of candle (Gradually sloping sides vs. straight sides on a taper type candle), and other variables.

#3--Somewhere I have a stand to hold candles that grabs them in the middle and allows you to light both ends. I think it originally came out of those old style backpacking candle cook stoves. But I always find myself fully exhausted when I try to use it, especially if there is a chimney involved!

As far as the original topic-My wife has had some candles with very thick wicks which burn brighter than the average candle. Sort of like the difference between a regular candle and a birthday cake candle.

You can make a bigger flame by cutting some wax away to expose more wick, doubling it over and burying it in the wax and lighting it. But the length of time of the brighter burn is dependant on the wick size, wax, etc.

Bill

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
eluminator,

#3--...light both ends. ... But I always find myself fully exhausted ...

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I've heard that will happen.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a Boy Scout, hmmm, maybe I'm still a Boy Scout. I "Be Prepared" for loss of AC powered illumination anyway. Well back then, we used to make a homemade Stearno can. I'd use a Planters peanut can and fill it about halfway with melted paraffin. The paraffin was the same stuff my mother used to seal the top of jelly glasses, when she made jam or jelly. Then I'd take a piece of light cardboard, something like the back of a school tablet, maybe 3 inches square. I'd sort of roll it up and stand it up in the melted paraffin, so one end stuck out above the paraffin. The cardboard acted as a wick. I don't remember ever using one, but I'm wondering if it might be brighter than the average candle.

It should heat up a can of spaghetti-o's anyway, if you like your spaghetti-o's warm.

chumley

Enlightened
I have used a REI candle lantern during power outages. It has a runtime of many hours, and the candles are cheap. I think that they do pose a fire hazard, but are safe when used with care.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
My wife walks away when I show her my latest flashlight...

My wife snuggles up to me when I show her my latest candle...

Needles to say, we have a large supply of candles.

Tom

stockwiz

Enlightened
Sacrilegious. Do you know who you are talking to here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Get yourself a CMG Ultra-G or three and you'll have a flashlight that runs for 25 hours before it needs one new fresh AA battery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My wife walks away when I show her my latest flashlight...

My wife snuggles up to me when I show her my latest candle...

Needles to say, we have a large supply of candles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I guess I better get some candles after all. I doubt my latest flashlight splurge is going to get me any affection... http://elektrolumens.com/Tri-Star/Tri-Star.html

darkgear.com

Enlightened
There are high output candles. They are beeswax candles. Beeswax burns ~2x brighter than parafin. You have to learn how to burn them though. It is not as simple as parafin candles. Go to your local honey store and they will have all the info you ever need about beeswax cadles.

Oh yeah and get a flashlight too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best regards,
Randy

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just consider them to be analog lights, less guilt that way. I will alway keep candles around, as mentioned earlier Be Prepared!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
darkgear.com said:
There are high output candles. They are beeswax candles. Beeswax burns ~2x brighter than parafin. You have to learn how to burn them though. It is not as simple as parafin candles. Go to your local honey store and they will have all the info you ever need about beeswax cadles.

Oh yeah and get a flashlight too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best regards,
Randy

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! Beeswax is absolutely wonderful wonderful stuff. I love flashlights, but there is something magical about a pure beeswax candle. First, there is the lovely smell, sort of like honey but musty-er (in a good way). Then there is the feel of beeswax. It's softer than parafin and usually has what is called a "blush" on it, just like grapes sometimes have. It can be formed and worked with the hands. Did I mention that I just love the smell of beeswax?

And then of course, there is the flame. It is a thing of beauty. You can see why religions and magicians and pagans and druids and so many others insist on pure beeswax candles in their ceremonies and rituals. It burns brighter. It burns longer. You do need to occasionally trim the wick and keep an eye on the airflow around it, but overall, a good beeswax candle is more "drip-proof" than most parafin candles.

Plus, even if it does drip, beeswax has so many uses I can't even begin to list them here. I use it to lubricate wood screws in some of the piano rebuilding I do. Seamstresses use it to prevent their thread from twisting and binding. You can use it to make drawers slide better in their housings. It is used in many fine finishing and polishing products. And did I mention that it smells really really good?

Beeswax is precious, precious stuff. Today it is really priced cheaper than it should be, and we may see it go up if the current trends in beekeeping continue (problems with diseases and parasites and pests). Buy lots of beeswax candles to have on hand for every occasion. A flashlight may be more practical, but SilverFox has the right idea on this one. Right on, Tom. I know what you're talking about.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of us in colder climates, a candle will save your life in ways no flashlight could.

I can tell you more stories than anyone here has time for about people trapped in cars in snowstorms who survived because they had a small candle with them. Just one bottle candle will keep a normal car warm enough in anything but extreme below zero temps to allow someone with normal winter clothes to survive for a day or two if they are smart. It will let you melt snow or ice for water without lowering your body temp.

I, too, have found beeswax candles to be the best for these uses, but like them to be enclosed in a can/bottle so I can keep them in my car year round, with some strike anywhere mathches with them. Beeswax is soft enough that you can push the matches down into it non-strike end first and they will still stand up. If you then use/make a can candle you have a mini survival fire kit which is self contained. I like the can candles best since they don't break if you happen to drop them outside the car when you're cleaning/packing, but jar candles let you see how much wax is left.

Oh well, just my two cents again.

Bill