Suggest a throwy weaponlight

ThrowBreadOnMe

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a weapon light for mounting on rifles/shotguns. In terms of performance, my priority is throw (although I still want some flood) and that leaves me struggling because most purpose-built weapon lights do not seem particularly throwy. Runtime is not very important. Ideally it would have the following features:

• Integral rail mount
  • Integral weapon-appropriate controls i.e. a flip switch (e.g. Streamlight TLR-1), an angled button (e.g. Inforce WML) or a button that lies flat on the rail (e.g. Cloud Defensive OWL) - not a conventional tailswitch or a pressure pad that I have to mount separately
  • Momentary / constant on
  • Instant access to strobe
  • Integral charging (magnetic even better)

Size-wise, overall length is not too important per se, it's more about the length of the mount + any overhang at the back. That should be <6 inches. Diameter is not too much of an issue either, so long as I don't have to put my hand around it.

The Streamlight TLR-3 HPL model (which is meant to be a thrower) and the Cloud Defensive OWL mentioned above both have max 50,000 candela, and I can't find numbers for the Inforce. This does not seem at all impressive compared to handheld pocket throwers, so I'm looking for a better alternative.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Elzetta makes great weapon lights. If you want more throw, Malkoff has some pretty throwy lights. I would imagine Surefire has some too. Arisaka has these lights and more on their site. There are different ways of mounting and different size lights. Some people want E series size. I have a couple, but have some bigger too. The Elzetta shotgun mount is solid and will hold different sizes with their adapters I believe.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Nitecore New P30. I had the original P30, and really loved it. It had a nice center beam that really reached out, while the spill was just bright enough to let you see around you without messing with your vision to the point you couldn't see out to the end of the center beam. The only difference with the New P30 is the change from a single 18650 to a single 21700. And Nitecore has a hunting package around it that includes the rifle mount, a pressure switch, and a nice carry/storage case.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi mate what rifle setup(s) is it for? How important is reliability and water resistance? An absolute throw monster is the Olight Javelot Pro but it is not tiny and it needs a ring mount (endless options available including Olight kit).

As you said purpose built ones are not great throwers, balancing between throw, spill and runtime. The ultimate milspec weapon light thrower would be the SureFire Hellfighter 4 but that is another beast entirely [emoji16].

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How important are the integrated mount and controls? That's likely going to severely limit your choices, as well as having instant strobe access, and especially internal charging.

djotten2002

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest looking at a Modlite OKW with the Modbutton mount/switch. Has amazing throw and with the modbutton you get Owl like function but obviously more modular.

StagMoose

Enlightened
Your criteria really is limiting and leaves out a number of excellent options.

If the controls are integral then you are pretty much stuck with inforce, cloud defensive or one of the mountable Surefire or streamlight that tend to be used on pistols.

Of those if you want strobe, I don't even know because I don't see the advantage of strobe on a WML.

Internal charging is severely limiting. Most folks want to be able to swap new batteries into their WML and be able to keep using it, not have to stop and charge it.

What is the plan for this thing? Maybe that would help folks give some ideas that haven't been considered.

The throwiest lights I'm aware of are the Cloud Defensive, arisaka (Malkoff heads on their own Surefire e-series style bodies) and whatever throwy light you want to put into a ring mount. Of those only the Cloud defensive has other features you want. My concern with them is only allowing use of an 18650. I prefer primary cells for WMLs.

The Malkoff E1/2HT, E2XT, and E2XTD are very throwy heads for e-series bodies but you don't want their other features.