M951 flashlight upgrades

daniel17319

Newly Enlightened
I have two M951 flashlights, I have been looking at Malkov bulb uprgrade them to something more lumens . My questions are these, what are the advantages over the stock head in replacing the head. What other upgrades are worth considering for this light as well. Does anyone know of some other brands that are well made that perform, LED conversion heads, I have been doing some reading about people building and converting old lights, even costum building new lights. Does anyone make a IR and white light for them as well. Any other brand recommendations on these. Thanks

StagMoose

Enlightened
I have two M951 flashlights, I have been looking at Malkov bulb uprgrade them to something more lumens . My questions are these, what are the advantages over the stock head in replacing the head. What other upgrades are worth considering for this light as well. Does anyone know of some other brands that are well made that perform, LED conversion heads, I have been doing some reading about people building and converting old lights, even costum building new lights. Does anyone make a IR and white light for them as well. Any other brand recommendations on these. Thanks

I upgraded one of mine with a Malkoff E seriesHT scout head and the required adapter. It is substantially brighter and throws light farther. I would say that is the advantage. I have not found any other brand that offers IR/ standard white in the same head like SF does. Malkoff Scout heads are considerably smaller than the SF counterparts, so that is another plus.

Another idea is to sell your entire light assembly and use the proceeds to purchase an updated light from Arisaka, or piece on together with parts; head, body, tailcap. I found that some folks like the older IR/ white LED lights but tend to want them as they come. you may be able to get enough for the light that you can about buy a new one or assemble one. Impact Weapon components sells a scout body that could use any SF scout head or Malkoff E series/ scout head depending on what voltage you are running. They also accept any standard scout tail cap/ SF tape switch. This would also save you buying the malkoff adapter ($30 IIRC) to mount a scout head to the older series body.

Malkoff E-series HT heads are currently out of stock, but they are excellent. I have both the E1HT and the E2HT. They are very throwy, impressive for their size, and should be very durable. Ideal as a weapons light. They are also much lighter and a bit smaller/ slimmer than the older SF heads.

Not sure if that helps, but I just went through a similar situation recently.