HDS Rotary Pocket Clip

Stoneking

Enlightened
Well, I've tried to get some interest on an idea I had. However, my emails to different companies in the hopes they could produce this idea, have gone unanswered or uninterested.
I feel this is the best solution for an HDS Rotary Pocket Clip.
Credit goes to McBrat for his skill, precision work and all around great member to work with.
These are his pictures as well....

http://i.imgur.com/KneapD5.jpeg
http://i.imgur.com/RUuulH2.jpeg
http://i.imgur.com/SzwtziY.jpeg
http://i.imgur.com/Hr0iUNh.jpeg

For a more practical solution the HDS Bezel needs to be about 3mm taller. For strength and so the clip doesn't sit higher than the bezel.
Although this bezel holds the clip quite securely as is, I'm truly impressed!
The light is comfortable to use. The clip doesn't interfere with functionality in any way.

If anyone is interested let's bring some attention to this. If anyone can machine an HDS Bezel taller we should make this happen.

What do you guys think?

Robe

Enlightened
I like this.

Always wondered that this would look like on the tail end.

Not much material left on that

Stoneking

Enlightened
Cool, but there are so many degrees between the screws? I once measured, I always get 29 degrees.

I don't know the degrees between screws...
The distance and set up appears to be the same as McGizmo Haiku, Oveready Boss, etc.

Stoneking

Enlightened
What's the advantage of this over putting a ring type clip between the bezel and head please?
P

I feel as thought the clip sits a little lower in the pocket and more secure.
You're also not messing with opening the light up and changing or removing o-rings so the water resistance isn't being effected, aside from initial installation. Essentially, you would just change the bezel rather than alter it to fit a clip in between the reflector and body.
I appears to me to be better aesthetically, but that's subjective. Also, this is just a prototype, the final design would fit the bezel better due to the height increase.
Also, this would open up so many options for customization. Many different pocket clips fit this format.
As far as comfort goes, this is without a doubt a much more comfortable options. The clip sits closer to the light and feels like it belongs there. No interference with operation or battery change in any way.
Hope that answers your question, although, a lot of this is just my opinion.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, but there are so many degrees between the screws? I once measured, I always get 29 degrees.

this one is done at 25 degrees. my lights I do at 26 degrees. I think Okluma might be 26 as well. Sigma's are done at 27 degrees which I think is same as McGizmo. Notta Beams are 27 I think too. maybe 28.

due to material, I had to go down to 25. maybe could have gone to 24.... but I did not have to modify the OR clip to fit with the 25.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
here's the text I had in my FB group regarding this...

there is actually a forward groove for the o-ring in front of the window (as well as one on the top of the reflector for the back of the window).
so... on the biggest part of the bezel between crenelations, there is room to have 0.75mm on either side of the #43 drill hole needed for tapping for 4-40.
so 0.75mm to the bottom of the front bezel (slightly less to the o-ring groove!!) and 0.75mm to the front edge of the bezel.
also, 26 or 27 degrees is too much separation for the bezel due to the crenelations, but 25 degrees will work.
and the slightly shorter BOSS clip fits perfect for where the clip sits on the head, so battery changes won't cause any rubbing.
con is that the top of the clip will stick up above the bezel. just no way around it.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
this one is done at 25 degrees. my lights I do at 26 degrees. I think Okluma might be 26 as well. Sigma's are done at 27 degrees which I think is same as McGizmo. Notta Beams are 27 I think too. maybe 28.

due to material, I had to go down to 25. maybe could have gone to 24.... but I did not have to modify the OR clip to fit with the 25.

Thank you! When we run out of quarantine, then we will try to do. Now all the turners and milling workers are sitting at home without work :(

Stoneking

Enlightened
Thank you! When we run out of quarantine, then we will try to do. Now all the turners and milling workers are sitting at home without work :(

Henry's suggestion:
"Going to 0-80 screws will provide better clearances in the existing bezel - the major outer diameter decreases from 0.112 for the 4-40 to 0.060 for the 0-80 - adding 0.030 of clearance to bezel features."

However, 0-80 screws would require the clip to be either designed different or a completely different clip utilized altogether.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea. Thanks for sharing. Think deep enough holes could be drilled without poking through the inside of the bezel? So from the lens side, the SS bezel doesn't look any different?

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea. Thanks for sharing. Think deep enough holes could be drilled without poking through the inside of the bezel? So from the lens side, the SS bezel doesn't look any different?
Yes, with the right equipment (not what I have) . But you'd be limited to the length of screw, and for a clip attachment, I like to have more threads available.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Candlepowerforums mobile app