combination outdoor area lighting & flood lights w/LED strips

AirWreck

Newly Enlightened
I've been pondering making custom flood lights for our home's back yard and driveway. Our backyard opens to a large common ground area, as well as a wooded area. I am figuring we'll have the occasional need to see what is going on out there at night. I was considering making my own pan/tilt motorized flood lights (using off the shelf video surveillance hardware or working with motorized marine type floodlights), but I have since switched to something that should be less less things to go wrong and will be more user friendly.

Here is a diagram of the concept. This is a side view. four or more rows of addressable LED strips on an angled or quarter round channel (hollow, for power injection wiring). For ambiance night lighting, only row 1 would be on. to light up an area, for example for a gathering on the patio below, light up rows 1-2 or 3, at a desired intensity. For flood-light mode, light them all up to the max. I guess this might be a good job for maybe two rows of quad strips.

I have yet to use LED strips, but as I learn more about them, I'm seeing more applications for them. I could see benefits in the ability to fine tune them in programming to focus on one spot or ease up on another (e.g. lights shining into a neighbors yard/windows).

uc