LEDs - basic questions and light table use (replacing fluorescents)

jergs

Newly Enlightened
First post here - I'm an absolute beginner at understanding lighting and have a number of very basic questions for a work project. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For work, we use light tables for tracing and examining paper layers, and we want to replace the fluorescent tube bulbs they currently use with LEDs once the bulbs go out. None of us have experience with LEDs except for IKEA-style home kits. Currently, we're trying to price out potential costs and installation needs with the information we were able to get before our area went under shelter orders.

There are 2-4 bulbs per table. The only one we've been able to confidently identify online is rated at 2,250 lumens/bulb. They light 24x36" areas and sit from 2 to 5.25 inches below the diffuser panels we work on.

We'd like to keep at least the current brightness, add in a dimming option (with a non-wall-mounted switch), and have even light across the whole area. We've been looking at LED tubes, strips, bulbs, and sheets.

1. Basic calculation questions that have come up:
For finding a similar level of brightness, should the basis of measurement be foot-candles, using (sum of lumens)/(square feet being lit), or should it be the lump sum of lumens?

In our current set-up with tube lights - since one side faces away from us, should that potential light loss be factored into the measurement somehow? Should the distance that the tubes sit below the diffuser panels factor in, either?

Are there any similar factors when we're calculating what we need for the different LED options?

2. I'm seeing a range of prices for the components in these options - dimmer switches especially, maybe because I'm looking at the seemingly rarer remote and knob options rather than wall-mounted ones. Is there generally a strong correlation between cost and quality with LEDs and their accessories (as in, should I be skeptical about low or high price outliers - or both)?

3. I'm also getting a sense that LED strips may be the way to go - though I've been assigned to look at tubes and sheets, they come up on the same sites and on similar DIY projects, and just seem easier to source, customize, and adjust, and less risky to install than the rest. Is there an option that I might be overlooking or want to take a closer look at?

4. Any recommended reference sites, sellers, or product lines for this application? There's a lot out there that's geared towards home lighting, commercial use, or other much larger scale projects, so we haven't always had luck with applicable responses.

Thanks again for any help!