Initial impressions of my first HDS!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been checking the specs over the years of the different HDS models and have never been inclined to pull the trigger.

I recently saw an HDS EDC Tactical 325 in the WTS section so decided to give it a go, worse case scenario if I didn't like it I could relist it in the WTS section and recover most of my investment.

Initial response was that it's lighter than I expected, I don't know why but I had a preconceived idea that it was going to be a heavyweight.

The rotary action is slightly stiff, so it holds its position well, and is very smooth in action.

The output levels from moonlight to 325 lumens are fine and very usable, low is great for night adjusted eyes and high will provide enough light for most situations. I think that I was expecting a smooth ramping up like a Sunwayman V11R but the HDS has noticeable steps. This is the tactical version so it also has the strobe effect and it functions as it's supposed to.

Build quality is nice, in fact it's very nice! Some of the lights that I have, like Malkoff for instance, you can tell that they've been made by an engineer but the HDS has the feeling that it's been made by a watchmaker.

So far I like it, it would be nice to try an EDC Rotary with a flush button switch for comparison, especially to see if it tail stands happily.

I am coming to the conclusion though that it needs a clip, I'll probably go down the under the bezel route, however I'll have to find a source of the correct sized 'O' ring, $1.04 for 13 but $18.78 for postage to Europe!!

So far so good, no regrets and I'm glad to have finally joined the HDS clan!

:twothumbs

ven

Flashaholic
Congrats Dave, awesome EDC light, defo imo ,in the top 5 ever edc lights . Flush tail stands with ease, for candle mode it's awesome.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention the Tactical side of it, it's very clever they way the switch works as a clicky for the first half of its rotation and as a momentary for the rest!

It would have benefitted from the strobe being activated by a fast double press instead of having to try rotating the switch when covering a perp on high mode.

I had read a review somewhere that this was an ideal duty light for LEO's, in my opinion no single CR123 light is an idea duty light, however it is an ideal back up light or for carrying off duty with CCW etc.

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
Glad you are enjoying your HDS. I debate on getting an HDS for about a year before purchasing one. I love mine and have carried an HDS everyday since.

As far as clip, another option that I use is Streamlight ProTac 1L 1AA Pocket Clip held on using a paracord double constrictor knot
06439186501aaf6dbc749062bd89a7dc.plist

Robe

Enlightened
It's an unreal light. I miss mine. I sold my 2700k to find a bike to ride with my 9yo. No regrets. I mean, some regrets. But I'll own an HDS again.

I do wish they were a bit brighter, and I'd love a 18350 but hey, still. My favorite light. Nothing comes close, and there are some amazing lights!

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
You could always get one of the clicky versions with a clip if you don't like the one that is sold for the rotary. Get a holster for the rotary and then you could carry the rotary when you feel like using the holster and the clicky when you feel like using the clip.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my HDS EDC Tactical 325 five months now and it's my go to EDC light!

I've added a modified Oveready TiALN Spring Stainless Steel clip.

I've been using a Surefire CR123 primary and I think I'll stick with primaries.

Most of my use in with the lower modes but outdoors the 325 max is bright enough for most EDC tasks.

I'm very pleased with my purchase and would recommend anyone that is on the fence about whether or not to buy their first HDS to go ahead, in a worst case scenario that you don't like it then you'll lose a few bucks selling it on the CPF Market, the danger is that you may want more than one!

50321778818_fac19b91b7_c.jpg

:twothumbs

wayben

Newly Enlightened
Great pic!! For me the problem is deciding which version to choose. Actually, probably be more like which version to start with, lol.
Wayne

scout24

Flashaholic
DaveD- I have about 10 extra of the proper o-rings to do the proper bezel up clip modification. I can send you one or two, slow boat from the U.S. if you want...

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
DaveD- I have about 10 extra of the proper o-rings to do the proper bezel up clip modification. I can send you one or two, slow boat from the U.S. if you want...

Thank you very much for the offer but I managed to source a couple, so it's watertight!

Sos24

Enlightened
Is that the bare naked or Ti? Also, love those case knives, that's a beauty...

I'm sorry it has been so long. But thanks for the compliment on the knife. I love the case Navy ones.

The HDS is a bare naked aluminum.

As an addition since writing this, I discovered that 1 or 2 small ziptie(s) (depending on size) hold the ProTac clip real well.