a visible improvement from a 2000 L / 53,000 cd Nitecore ea81

Sarratt

Enlightened
As title suggests I'm looking for a light that would be visibly brighter than my oldish EA81. (2,000 lumen)

I seem to recall that for a light to be visibly brighter it has to be x times more lumen (?)

I've also not been able to find the peak beam intensity listed for many lights which I thought was an indicator of throw.

How much more than 53,000 cd would I need to see a big difference?

Thanks for any advice.

edit to clarify .. would I need at least 4,000 lumen and 100,000 cd ?

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You need at least A 10% difference in lumens to notice any difference at all; double the lumens looks maybe ~25-33% brighter [unless your eyes are very adjusted/accustomed to the previous beam in the comparison.]

Differences in CD are immediately apparent because it's a measure of how much light is hitting a distant thing, but a higher number is often a result of a tighter beam, so you are putting more light on the far away target, but it's because there's less light available elsewhere.

Sarratt

Enlightened
Thanks StarHalo ..... my search will continue. I'm not wedded to the AA form factor (EA81) but I think my Nitecore is still the ''brightest'' AA light out there.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Define the application and then find the light to fit it, don't limit yourself to any one parameter; you'll enjoy the hobby more that way.

Latest posts