Dodge Ramcharger lighting project

MMFED01

Newly Enlightened
Sadly, I hit my first deer the other night with my restored 1993 Dodge Ramcharger. I'm in the process of upgrading the headlights to H4 fixtures with lighting harness through Daniel Stern. Given I have a long front bumper, I would like to explore the option
of mounting some combination of auxiliary lighting to give me range and also flood to cover my sides. I've read good things about Cibie but am more familiar with Hella, Lightforce, Vision X and Frylyt from another project. Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
The Hella 470 or Hella 350 driving light bar manufactured by JW Speaker has been the most recent favorite of those on this forum that are more in the know than I am. It should be mounted as close to the same height as your high-beams as possible.

If you're looking for something more aesthetically period correct, they may have a suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you scroll down to post #2240 in this thread. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ogen-h11-projector-headlights.589465/page-112

You'll see a comparison between one of my LED Cibie Super Oscars and a KC HiLites gravity Pro6. Both are road legal as auxilisry highbeams. The cibie is the "super" version of the led oscar, and is 9" in approximate diameter (there is an Ocar at 7" and a mini-Oscar at 4.5" as well), draws just over 14watts and has a very balanced beam. They come in two intensity levels, mine are the lower output (75kcd iirc?) But this thread also has some later posts about diode dynamics "Sport" and "Pro" pods, which offer an sae compliant driving beam (at lower maximum intensity than my cibies, around 65kcd).

As Mr. Merk posted, the JW Speaker TS1000/Hella 350/470 are also popular mentions here.

-Virgil- , Hilldweller and several others have more experience with other auxiliary options as well.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Hard to go wrong with the Hella 350 and 470 bars. If you want two separate lamps, there are plenty of good ones on the market (and, unfortunately, "plenty" of junk) so while a major, reputable brand doesn't necessarily guarantee a high-quality, reliable, durable, high-performance lamp, and non-major brands don't necessarily guarantee a waste of money, your odds are still better with a major brand. Also, the characteristics of the headlamps you choose should factor into your decision on what auxiliary lamps to get.

drexter

Newly Enlightened
Any update, OP? What did you get? I saw the Rigid Industries light bars at 4wheelonline and they look nice also and the reviews about them are pretty good, although they are not cheapest.