Costco Halogen Spotlight 548284 - Is it worth messing with? Cheap upgrades?

Baconaman

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight people,

This is my first post to the forum. A friend of mine has one of those places that your wife hopes she never has to contend with - you know, looks like a junk yard. Well, I was over there the other day and it's always fun to explore at his place and see what you can find lurking in the blackberry bushes. Well, I found one of these big Costco spotlights apparently from the early 2000's. Even though the compartment door was open and cords were going all directions, I was able to extract it from the thorns seemingly intact. Car cord and wall wart still connected. Door still closes and latches however the battery and battery cover were gone (though the screws for the cover were still there). I need to take it apart because it sounds like it has sand or something inside that rattles around when moved. I did hook up the battery terminals to a 12volt power supply and believe it or not, when switched on, it lilt up. I couldn't really tell if there was much difference between the hi and low setting but anyhow, is it worth spending any time whatsoever cleaning this up and finding and buying a battery? Are there any cheap upgrades for the battery or the bulb? I wanted to check here first before investing any more time or money into it - so far no money invested and maybe 30 minutes of time.

Thanks!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to tell. If it uses a common size lead acid battery you might be able to find a suitable replacement from someplace like Interstate battery. Not sure what you mean by "battery cover", since you say the door to the battery compartment closes. Sounds like it could be a nicely functional light with a new battery, maybe a nice beater at least that you don't have to worry too much about. The lamps are generally common replacement sizes as well like H4 style and easy to find if you need a new one someday.