Streamlight Jr Led USB Type C & 14500 Mod w/ 3d Printing

emptypie

Newly Enlightened
I work in the automotive industry and carry a holster light every day. I normally carry a Stylus Pro but some colleagues had Jr Leds and I liked the body and the upgraded brightness. My Snap-on guy sells them but I got mine off of Amazon.
Fz3nTxb.jpg

So I decided I want to mod the Jr to USB-C because my other work lights are also type c. So I figured a 14500 could replace the 2xAA. Did some research into mini charging boards and ordered some. Also ordered some usb-c female breakout boards.
BgLCtL2.jpg

CTwGFMv.jpg

The idea was to have a module the same size as a AA that was easily removable. The female usb end is spring loaded to pop into the cutout I dremeled (wish I had a mill).
So I drew up the Jr in Autodesk Inventor and started thinking. I found some nice spring contacts in a junk Mastercraft with a 3xAAA caddy.
OU9V9sq.png

HRWQ38j.png

UsT8lxG.png

Lots of trial and error went into the final version of the part. After that was finalized I assembled everything and soldered it in a way that everything could be removed without desoldering. The charge board is held in with a spring in a pocket and the female type c board slides up and down and is held with a spring upwards and there are stops built in.

YVE0rTd.jpg

b7AAlvQ.jpg

cWZ0QP8.jpg

YuZHDO1.jpg

sFzfTXz.jpg

RxSGePc.jpg

I found a nifty dust plug on amazon that fit really nicely and the annodization matched perfectly. It even came with a little clip that holds the plug when charging.

7c8VYts.jpg

2oSpkDO.jpg

25Q05XL.jpg

uFPxKH7.jpg

Let me know what you think, new to this forum but not a complete noob. I eventually want to upgrade the led/driver but have no idea how to do that. I have a lot more pictures and protoypes. I use a TS100 soldering iron connected to wall power or a M12 battery. I will post updates if anything breaks haha. This is not a beauty flashlight it will be used and abused daily.

TJnYRTb.jpg

emptypie

Newly Enlightened
Update:
Turns out discharge protection is important. I thought the board I had was good but afterthought realized the main power does not run through the board, it's protection is just for charging.

As I used the cheapest 14500 I could find that was rechargeable it worked for a couple months but I would get power cut issues and would not get a full charge.

So instead of a complete redesign I picked up some protected Olight cells. So far working good, an even tighter fit with the charge wire but so far so good.
8aac79e7b7605d4dbf65feb849d28751.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk