Jetbeam        
Page 37 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2730313233343536373839404142434447 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1798

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

Chauncey,
    That was funny!

I don't remember seeing that episode.
    Kramer was probably the best actor on the set.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Regarding the possible origin of Covid-19 (mid-May 2020)

Animals at wildlife farms in China are one of the first places to look, says Peter Daszak, president of the non-profit EcoHealth Alliance in New York City. Farms stock many captive-bred animals, from civets to raccoon dogs and coypu, a large rodent, often living close to livestock such as pigs, chickens and ducks. “These farms are usually wide open to bats, which feed at night above the pens, and some of which roost in the buildings. They are also usually linked to people’s houses so that whole families are potentially exposed,” says Daszak, who has visited many villages, wildlife markets, bat caves and farms in southern China over the past 15 years.

“The opportunities for these viruses to spill over across a very active wildlife–livestock–human interface is clear and obvious,” he says.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01449-8

Thanks for the very informative link. Journals such as Nature are a wealth of accurate and trusted information in this age of mocking science and the media.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

I have been to China, and the first time I went to a meat market I was in shock! My wife was with me, and she grew up on a ranch in Mexico, so it was no big deal to her, however, I grew up in Beverly Hills, California, and any meat to our home came in butcher paper from the store.

At the the meat market I saw a man cutting the heads off what looked like cobra snakes, dogs penned up to be slaughtered, and the smell...it stunk to high hell. I could not wait to get out of there. Third world, man!

Other than that, I like it China, and the Chinese people are nice.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Things are starting to open up here in the desert. I went to In N' Out yesterday, and they are still drive thru only with a long line so I went to a local diner we like and got a bag full of cheeseburgers, and fries. I put a fifty in the tip jar, and the girl went crazy.

Red,
    She'll remember YOU next time you come through.

Other than a paper route, my first job was in a fast food burger place, burgers cooked on a grill, and chicken parts in deep fried oil.
    They paid us less than minimum wage, because they could get away with it stating that we might get tips. Never did I see a tip in the year that I worked there.
    Last edited by Poppy; 06-02-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Pop,

There are three groups of people you want to take care of:

1. People who make your food.

2. People that cut your hair.

3. The Dr. who takes care of you and writes your Rx.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    Pop,

Red,
    Years ago, my best friend's friend, was a hair cutter, but in NJ, the state combined the barber's license, and beautician's license into one, and he had to do a number of straight edge shaves to get the combined license. My friend, my Dad, and I, went to the school for him, to do us up, and get the credits he needed.

Little did I know, that he had virtually NO experience. He was so nervous shaving my peach fuzz, that he was literally dripping sweat off his nose, onto my face. He asked for help from the female instructor, and as she stood over me, I could look up and see a three inch scar, just under her jaw line, (just about the length of the razor being held to my throat!)

I imagine that her's was a surgical scar, perhaps.

So YES... take care of those who cut your hair, and hold a razor to your face!
    Last edited by Poppy; 06-02-2020 at 02:01 PM.

I have had the same girl cut my hair for years, I was her first customer. Today she has become big time, and my wife thinks I tip her too much but I think it is just because she is cute.

ADD: Really, she is HOT!
    Last edited by RedLED; 06-02-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Pop,

I worked with a guy who said that. A time later he said "also remember if you marry a divorce attorny's aide don't get caught cheating on her."

Poppy, I have a scar on my jaw from a common ailment where a salivary gland gets clogged and if not caught in time has to be removed. Trouble is by the time you notice the lump it's too late usually. So the conventional way (back when mine was removed) was to take it out the old fashioned way. Cut you open, pluck out the "tumor" (they called it) and sew you back up. The doctor used very fine stitches so at a glance it looks like I had a partial "Columbian necktie" administered.
    She may have had that issue (hopefully) but I can imagine it was un nerving to you to see that at that moment.

My state slated to enter phase 2 at the end of the week if the trend continues. Not sure what restrictions will be lifted and to what degree. But am sure I will continue to live as if flu season has been extended a few more innings and carry around my little spray bottle of peroxide, stay 6' from non family and keep a face covering handy. To me, as long as their are cases rising as fast as they are it's still prudent to proceed with caution.

I have an intern starting with me tomorrow. First thing I'll do is aim my thermometer at him and make him show me his personal protective equipment is on hand and ready to deploy. Then I'm going to show him how to determine a 6' circle. I shook one guys hand today, then pulled out my spray bottle of peroxide and sprayed my hand. He reached out to shake. I said "hell I aint scared, but hope you aint offended that I disinfect" as we shook hands. He laughed and held out his hand after for a spritz his own self. I mean afterall life goes on, but with a more cautious approach to living it.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 06-02-2020 at 03:44 PM.
    John 3:16

I was recently asked - "If you can smell a man's fart from five feet away, a fart that had to travel through his underwear and jeans to reach your nose, how's a thin cotton mask supposed to keep you safe?"

I thought he made a valid point.

Thoughts
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I can only think of the next warning label “Warning: this mask is not impermeable to gaseous emissions from flatulent persons, pets or barnyard animals”.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I was recently asked - "If you can smell a man's fart from five feet away, a fart that had to travel through his underwear and jeans to reach your nose, how's a thin cotton mask supposed to keep you safe?"

Well, can you smell it through the mask?

Seriously though, when you smell an odor it's because there are tiny aerosolized particles of that substance that reach your nose. I remember hearing a famous radio host/doctor discuss this topic once and he wasn't sure whether this was significant (in terms of odors, not viruses).

What makes this more complicated is that they've found that virus particles can be present in an infected person's, uh, emissions, although the speculation was that the clothing provides enough filtering to catch a lot of it. But probably not all of it. I've also read that the viral load affects whether you're likely to get infected; a very small number of virus particles would be taken out by the immune system fast enough to avoid a full blown infection, but a brief exposure to a large amount of the virus particles would be more likely to take hold and overwhelm the immune system at the outset.

Too bad we can't smell the virus.

Thoughts
    Hopefully Dr. Fauci will "get wind" of this and offer his expert opinion...

The present tangent may not be off-topic, but it does stink.

I know you guys think this beer sucks, but I had one hell of a Tuesday at work and the quickest, best way that I could get home and put it all behind me was with some Gansett and some brats...

For the senders of the PM’s, I promise I’m going to answer them. I’ve just been having my ass kicked so hard at work because of....dummies....that I just want to come home and go right to bed. Patience. I will answer, because there needs to be an answer to them.
    The beauty of Science hugely outranks the charms of superstition

For real yesterday i go to check mail and i saw a red thing in mail box i assume is trash or something i go to knock it out it moved it was the scariest looking wasp i have ever seen. Insect love my mail box
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Thoughts
    They smell due to gases, not particles. Corona relies on particle transmission.

Apples to Oranges.

https://kidshealth.org/en/kids/fart.html
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

how's a thin cotton mask supposed to keep you safe?
    when you wear a mask, it helps to keep you from touching your nose and mouth, infecting your self. wearing glasses helps keep you from touching your eyes. washing your hands with soap after your trip outdoors takes care of the rest.

Does the virus not need to be suspended in a liquid in order to leave the person?
    Some filters allow gases to pass through that do not allow liquids to easily pass through. A coffee filter for example would probably not be an adequate virus blocking mask. At least for incoming virus, yet would do a pretty decent job at drastically reducing the velocity of an outgoing virus of a persons droplets when speaking, coughing or sneezing. I would surmize most of the outgoing liquid would remain attached to the inside of the face covering (called the dirty side by some).

It's that or everybody move about wearing gas warfare face coverings.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 06-03-2020 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Of not if

Ive been trying to save money by useing a walmart shoping bag it works great but i get so dizzy wearing it
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Pop,

I agree with that list but since I shave my own head, number 2 is out for me.

When I was younger I went to the bar everyday after work with buddies. We would stay for 8 hours most of the time. I decided one night to wait for the entire place to get packed then I bought everyone in the Applebees a lemon drop, then I did another. My bill was $382 that night. About $320 more than normal. I ended up tipping her $500. Yes, I was a big tipper and not wise. However, every watering hole I went to I got the best service, and they all knew what I drank and had it ready sometimes before I even walked in the door. Those were the good old days.

To the current topic, What exactly is this mask thing again? I saw some people in Target yesterday with strange things over their mouths. I guess they think they are getting off this earth alive or something crazy like that. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Too bad we can't smell the virus.
    In a Finnish study, dogs learned to recognize the distinctive odor of a coronavirus infection. In the future, dogs might be able to detect infected people in nursing homes or at airports.

This, from a website in Germany previously unknown to me but the information they have from Finland is not found in known sites considered somewhat reliable.

https://www.dw.com/en/dogs-can-sniff...-19/a-53582252

Last edited by KITROBASKIN; 06-03-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: removed off topic attempt at humor

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    In a Finnish study, dogs learned to recognize the distinctive odor of a coronavirus infection. In the future, dogs might be able to detect infected people in nursing homes or at airports.

This, from a website in Germany previously unknown to me but the information they have from Finland is not found in known sites considered somewhat reliable.

https://www.dw.com/en/dogs-can-sniff...-19/a-53582252

Murder Hornets look diabolical, you ask me. Hyenas creep me out too. Am I starting to sound like Raggie The Kind Hearted? Are his words contagious? Will we all start talking like Raggie? Can a murder hornet read my mind? Can I get a random remarks thread?

Can we please bring this back around to the topic in the thread title?

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Can you find some Ramen Noodles for *ME*? Please? I don't care what flavor. I just want the noodles so I can make an Asian chicken coleslaw salad! I only need two packages!!

Heck of a lot more relevant than whatever the hell that was you posted.

.... and my post didn't get reported by another member. Yours did.

Just thinking, if NYC does not suffer a second wave of Corona virus cases/ deaths after the throngs of protesters intermingling, won’t this throw the whole social distancing stuff into serious doubt?
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    Just thinking, if NYC does not suffer a second wave of Corona virus cases/ deaths after the throngs of protesters intermingling, won’t this throw the whole social distancing stuff into serious doubt?
    I've been thinking about this too - Not just NYC either. Will we see an uptick in numbers in certain parts of the country? I'm not so sure social distancing was/is a bad idea. But perhaps it's not as GOOD an idea as first thought? I suppose it could be argued "better safe than sorry" because, honestly, no one really knew anything about this particular virus. They still don't. Time will tell. It will be interesting, for sure!

"May you live in interesting times" - contrary to popular belief, it is a curse not a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Will we see an uptick in numbers in certain parts of the country? I'm not so sure social distancing was/is a bad idea. But perhaps it's not as GOOD an idea as first thought?
    You were better off with it than without (Arizona, new cases per day) :

Page 37 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2730313233343536373839404142434447 ... LastLast