Acebeam        
Page 40 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3033343536373839404142434445464750 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1791

Thread: Coronavirus - II

  1. #1171
    *Flashaholic* Poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    5,088

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    Yeah, not an enviable time to be a governor. Especially in hard hit states.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

  2. #1172

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Ha, the last thing I bought from a Penny's was a nice black suit sport coat for $80, that was like ~6 years ago.
    You can still find those there.... ironically right around the same price too.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  3. #1173
    Flashaholic* RedLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan
    Posts
    3,579

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Always unfortunate to see store closings from a Big Chain business. Especially one that sells good quality clothing at good prices for working stiffs. Shop there often.
    Please, please Don't tell my wife I bought her engagement ring at J.C. Penney's! PLease!
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

  4. #1174

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    Please, please Don't tell my wife I bought her engagement ring at J.C. Penney's! PLease!
    I got mine from biglots my wife not a ring
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

  5. #1175
    Flashaholic* RedLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan
    Posts
    3,579

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Looking at restaurants and other parking lots like gymnasiums and such in my area was pretty cool to see how many folks are taking advantage of the opportunities to resume a more normal life style. So much for picking up takeout and watching a sunset in an empty parking lot. Mrs Fixer was kinda tired of me dropping french fries in between the seats of her car, so she'll be happy about that part.
    It's like being in a carni town and the carni has returned. I'm so glad for business owners. But from what some folks are saying, with the capacity limits you almost need a reservation to McDonalds right now.
    First world problems I suppose.
    The new Maitre D': May we McSeat you, please?
    Last edited by RedLED; 06-05-2020 at 10:22 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

  6. #1176

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Serveral years ago Red on a construction project this one foreman who was particularly adept at placing f-bombs in a sentence and it (aside from being a dirty word) completed his sentences nicely. The record on the project was 7 times in one sentence until the day his boss slid it in 8 times in one sentence and the sentence made sense.
    Those guys used to brag that the f-bomb is the most versatile word in the English language.

    One day another guy said a two letter word is even more versatile. "Show me" one guy says." The other guy said "McWell, McYou, McCan McUse Mc in McFront of McNearly McEvery McWord"………

    McMeanMcwhile McBack to McTopic Mrs Fixer and I found that lines at drive throughs are much faster now that restaurants have dining in again. We stopped on the way home to buy some milk and in the grocery was that one guy with no face covering who was all glaring at everybody like "I dare you to say something". I did. "psst, c'mere fella", he said "what" all defensive like. I said "pissed at the government right now about the mask rule?" He says "dam right". I said quietly "well think about it this way, you have the chance to walk around anywhere you want to and nobody, not even the government camera knows who you are, enjoy the freedom" and started walking away. He hollers back "thanks bro I had not thought of that".
    Last edited by bykfixer; 06-06-2020 at 05:50 AM.
    John 3:16

  7. #1177

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Serveral years ago Red on a construction project this one foreman who was particularly adept at placing f-bombs in a sentence and it (aside from being a dirty word) completed his sentences nicely. The record on the project was 7 times in one sentence until the day his boss slid it in 8 times in one sentence and the sentence made sense.
    Those guys used to brag that the f-bomb is the most versatile word in the English language.

    One day another guy said a two letter word is even more versatile. "Show me" one guy says." The other guy said "McWell, McYou, McCan McUse Mc in McFront of McNearly McEvery McWord"………

    McMeanMcwhile McBack to McTopic Mrs Fixer and I found that lines at drive throughs are much faster now that restaurants have dining in again. We stopped on the way home to buy some milk and in the grocery was that one guy with no face covering who was all glaring at everybody like "I dare you to say something". I did. "psst, c'mere fella", he said "what" all defensive like. I said "pissed at the government right now about the mask rule?" He says "dam right". I said quietly "well think about it this way, you have the chance to walk around anywhere you want to and nobody, not even the government camera knows who you are, enjoy the freedom" and started walking away. He hollers back "thanks bro I had not thought of that".
    Except facial recognition software can see through masks.

  8. #1178
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitelight1 View Post
    Except facial recognition software can see through masks.

  9. #1179
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,903

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Faces aren't the only identifier ....

    https://apnews.com/bf75dd1c26c947b7826d270a16e2658a
    ... is the archimedes peak

  10. #1180
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,601

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Yeah they can still pick up faces but at greatly reduced accuracy. They're not really seeing through the mask - they're discarding those data points and focusing on what's left, which isn't much. A high resolution thermal imager can pick up a little bit of detail from under the mask, but it's noisy, blurry and not anywhere near good enough to aid with facial recognition.

    Apple recently modified their facial recognition system for unlocking phones to "give up" earlier and default to other means of authentication when the user is wearing a mask.

  11. #1181
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,903

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    .... Apple recently modified their facial recognition system for unlocking phones to "give up" earlier and default to other means of authentication when the user is wearing a mask.
    Yes, not sure which is more disturbing ... unlocking your phone with a "faceprint" or that it is programmed to know when you are wearing a mask
    ... is the archimedes peak

  12. #1182

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Yes, not sure which is more disturbing ... unlocking your phone with a "faceprint" or that it is programmed to know when you are wearing a mask
    What could be worse is if you cannot disable the mask override bit and someone who isn't you wearing a mask to defeat facial recognition so they can use a password or whatever else.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  13. #1183
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Apple recently modified their facial recognition system for unlocking phones to "give up" earlier and default to other means of authentication when the user is wearing a mask.
    And as someone who has to unlock an iPhone with a mask on all day every workday, I can confirm that not only does the mask make it impossible, but a pair of Ray-Bans works just as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    What could be worse is if you cannot disable the mask override bit and someone who isn't you wearing a mask to defeat facial recognition so they can use a password or whatever else.
    It wouldn't work - the phone is measuring the height/depth of your facial features, so a mask would have to replicate that as well.

  14. #1184
    Flashaholic* KITROBASKIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    3,154

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    I got mine from biglots my wife not a ring
    Good one raggie, almost as funny as your comment in the 'learned the hard way' thread. Tell us more about your wife; How is she handling the whole Covid scene?

  15. #1185

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    The tellers at my local bank can recognize me even when I'm wearing a mask, and my usual black baseball cap pulled low over my head. Then again, I can easily recognize each one of them. Even with masks, you just get used to who all the regulars are. Works both ways.

    RedLED - "Please, please Don't tell my wife I bought her engagement ring at J.C. Penney's! PLease!"
    No worries. Your secret is safe with me. I'm sure you took precautions and made sure she has no clue what your log-in is on CPF. Right?
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  16. #1186

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Good one raggie, almost as funny as your comment in the 'learned the hard way' thread. Tell us more about your wife; How is she handling the whole Covid scene?
    Just was trying to give laughs. I’m not married won’t get married unless lady Gaga ask me lol
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

  17. #1187

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post



    No worries. Your secret is safe with me. I'm sure you took precautions and made sure she has no clue what your log-in is on CPF. Right?
    I wonder how much it is worth to ole Red to make sure Mrs Red does not find out her ring came from JC Penney……
    Gold is gold. If it came from Wal Mart or a jewelry store. These days with the price of gold Mrs Fixer and I stashed our real rings and wear stainless steel.

    We went out driving and found the WalMart closed at sundown. There were about 15 porta-john's in the parking lot. We saw that and thought "hmmm, do they know something we should know" and went to a Target. Again it was the only store that did not close at sundown. They had a variety of mask styles available so I bought a few. Nobody but us and employees had masks on. No patrons at all. So when I went to check out, the check out lady thanked us. I kept my nose uncovered until we got in line simply because once I get near people I cover up out of respect even though the numbers in my community are flat. Out of respect for the front line employee I'll cover up. She chuckled at my "covid 19 sucks" mask.
    John 3:16

  18. #1188
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,601

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    The WHO has updated their guidance regarding masks and they're now saying that a single layer fabric mask is not enough for protection. Masks should have at least three layers, and possibly more depending on the fabric used and how the materials are laid together. The article goes into quite a bit of detail in terms of the actual air pressure differential on both sides of the mask.

  19. #1189
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,024

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    iPhones with facial recognition still require you to have a password. For example after you update your iphone you still have to enter your password to initiate use. So the “mask update” doesn’t change the ability for someone with your password to still unlock your phone. You don’t need your face.

    My iPhone 11 can FaceID me with a hat and sunglasses on no problem. It will not recognize me with a mask on. So I have to use a password when I am with customers and have a mask on.

  20. #1190
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    iPhones with facial recognition still require you to have a password. For example after you update your iphone you still have to enter your password to initiate use. So the “mask update” doesn’t change the ability for someone with your password to still unlock your phone. You don’t need your face.
    But your fifth amendment right covers only the password and not the face ID; a police officer who pulls you over and feels it'd be nice to look through your phone can order you to do it via face ID, but a double-click on the power button to disable it and require the password means your phone is now off the table.

  21. #1191
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,024

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    I thought we were talking about unlocking phones with masks, what are you even talking about?

  22. #1192

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    The WHO has updated their guidance regarding masks and they're now saying that a single layer fabric mask is not enough for protection. Masks should have at least three layers, and possibly more depending on the fabric used and how the materials are laid together. The article goes into quite a bit of detail in terms of the actual air pressure differential on both sides of the mask.
    I thought they reccomended "filtering" via face covering all along. I did not know this was something new. Perhaps it was the cdc back then?
    My wife made a slew using two layers and a hepa sandwiched between a while back. We used a BiC lighter and (lack of) sunshine getting through to determine the cloth.
    John 3:16

  23. #1193

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    We went out driving and found the WalMart closed at sundown. There were about 15 porta-john's in the parking lot. We saw that and thought "hmmm, do they know something we should know" and went to a Target. Again it was the only store that did not close at sundown. They had a variety of mask styles available so I bought a few. Nobody but us and employees had masks on. No patrons at all. So when I went to check out, the check out lady thanked us. I kept my nose uncovered until we got in line simply because once I get near people I cover up out of respect even though the numbers in my community are flat. Out of respect for the front line employee I'll cover up. She chuckled at my "covid 19 sucks" mask.
    I've seen the type of masks Target sells. Better than nothing, but not really impressed by them. I've got a collection of masks of all kinds from Etsy. One seller straight up cheated me out of my money. One sent me masks clearly made from ridiculously thin fabric from T-shirt sleeves (though ironically the shipping, presentation, and customer service was the best from all the sellers). One order took nearly 2 months to get here. But the dozen or so other sellers really came through for me.

    I bought 1 to 3 masks from a variety of sellers because I figured the probability of getting cheated, one way or another, would be much higher than it actually turned out to be. I mean it is Etsy after all. They let literally anyone start up a store on their website with zero vetting involved. They'll even let children start up a store.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  24. #1194
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I thought we were talking about unlocking phones with masks, what are you even talking about?
    The most likely scenario for someone wanting to unlock your phone without your permission is during a traffic stop/detainment, not someone wearing a mask.

  25. #1195
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,219

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    The most likely scenario for someone wanting to unlock your phone without your permission is during a traffic stop/detainment, not someone wearing a mask.
    Police can’t search your phone without a court order. What are you on about now?
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

  26. #1196
    Flashaholic* RedLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan
    Posts
    3,579

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    The tellers at my local bank can recognize me even when I'm wearing a mask, and my usual black baseball cap pulled low over my head. Then again, I can easily recognize each one of them. Even with masks, you just get used to who all the regulars are. Works both ways.



    No worries. Your secret is safe with me. I'm sure you took precautions and made sure she has no clue what your log-in is on CPF. Right?
    No, she knows my pass code. You see, if something happens to me, I told her to get on here, and find someone to help find out what all this stuff is worth. Some I have files and paperwork on but not everything. Otherwise, there would be a pile of custom flashlights at the thrift store.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

  27. #1197
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    Police can’t search your phone without a court order. What are you on about now?
    You can be compelled to produce face ID, but not your password. If the phone will not accept face ID, then it's out of the equation.

  28. #1198

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    The WHO has updated their guidance regarding masks and they're now saying that a single layer fabric mask is not enough for protection. Masks should have at least three layers, and possibly more depending on the fabric used and how the materials are laid together. The article goes into quite a bit of detail in terms of the actual air pressure differential on both sides of the mask.
    Looks like most of the seamstresses on Etsy figured out what took the WHO all this time to do so. That one layer isn't going to cut it. Takes just a bit of searching on that site, but you'll find hand-sewn washable/reusable masks on there from a variety of different sellers who got it right. Here's what's best to look for....

    1- Made in USA (or whichever country you live in).
    Not about Patriotism, all about making sure the masks get to you in a timely manner.

    2- Nose Wire or Dart.
    Ensures a snug fit on your face. Helps with creating a good seal. A Dart is simply a bit of stitching on the outside layer of the mask that takes the place of a nose wire. Not quite as good, but gets the job done.

    3- Two layers of material with a filter pocket.
    Pop in the filter, and that's your 3rd layer of protection that the WHO now advocates. As far as more layers go, the absolute vast majority of masks being sold on Etsy for slightly higher prices are going to be two layers with a filter pocket. Usually no filter included though.

    4- Filter material.
    You can find PM2.5 filters online, and on that site itself.
    These are the best commercially made ones out there for masks. Though they don't work too well in surgical style homemade masks. They're much better in Olson style masks. Some sellers are offering washable/reusable filters that you can reuse a few times. I've ordered a few and am looking into those. For disposable filters you want non-woven polypropylene fabric. Best one out there. Though there are other types of filters. Coffee filters or panty liner is not going to be effective though. Some of the poly filters are incredibly thin though. So you could double-up on those and have a mask that offers 4 layers of protection.

    5- Mask material.
    100% cotton is best. But a cotton and polyester blend can work too.

    I have a 100% white, cotton mask that I carry in a plastic baggie whenever I head to work. Two cotton layers, one filter pocket, with a PM2.5 filter in the pocket. Extra PM2.5 filter outside of the mask. It folds flat, has a nose wire for a good fit. I do have a very small supply of properly-made KN95 masks I bought early on. I use one as my main mask at work. And another KN95 at my other full-time Essential job. But in case anything happens to the KN95s I'm wearing, I'm good to go.

    Truth is, even an N95 is no guarantee. Just the best commercially out there that one can find. Depending on if you're willing to pay the prices. Literally just found a 20-count supply of N95 masks (certified and all that other stuff) from a legitimate medical supply online shop. So not some sleazy ghoul who horded a bunch and is selling them off. Cost from the legit source? = $160 for 20. Which ironically seems to be the going rate from medical supply sources if they have any to sell. Before the pandemic, about $1 each. Now, $8 each. Even when the pandemic finally ends, I doubt we'll see N95s for $1 ever again.

    Been buying up masks on Etsy for a review project for my viewers on my YouTube channel. Was going to cancel that project since it started to seem as though the virus might run its course and be at least down to more manageable levels by the time I collected every piece of data I needed. But then the protests started. Plenty of people in large cities where the infection rate is high already. Should-to-shoulder, with a significant number of them not wearing masks.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 06-07-2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Typo.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  29. #1199

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I thought they reccomended "filtering" via face covering all along. I did not know this was something new. Perhaps it was the cdc back then?
    My wife made a slew using two layers and a hepa sandwiched between a while back. We used a BiC lighter and (lack of) sunshine getting through to determine the cloth.
    I genuinely hate being the bearer of bad news.... I had considered getting some vacuum bags and making my own filters. But then the company that makes hepa filters came out and said that many of their filters use fiberglass. And they didn't bother labeling their filters as to which ones use fiberglass, and which ones don't because in fairness; they had no clue people would be cutting up and stitching the filters into masks soon after 2020 rolled around. Fiberglass is definitely not something you want to be breathing in. They can not even pinpoint which ones have fiberglass in them, and which ones don't.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 06-07-2020 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  30. #1200

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    StarHalo ~
    You can be compelled to produce face ID, but not your password. If the phone will not accept face ID, then it's out of the equation.

    Thankfully the battery life on my phone is so crappy, I keep it switched off until I need to actually use it, or until I get to work. Not a great solution for protecting your privacy, but it would work.

    RedLED ~
    Otherwise, there would be a pile of custom flashlights at the thrift store.
    If most of your collection is in NYC, I wouldn't mind encountering a bunch of those at the thrift store.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 06-07-2020 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Page 40 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3033343536373839404142434445464750 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •