Wuben        
Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 54548495051525354555657585960616265 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2055

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

It's _all_ a problem, just take your pick. They don't think it's ok. We are in the 'whack a mole' phase, or soon will be. Cross your fingers for a treatment protocol, mutation that lessens the deadliness, some sort of cheap self-administered test, or a vaccine.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

watching agt there is no humans in the seats at all
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

The honest problem here is that we are the United States of America; because there is no leadership on this situation nationally, we have 50 states plus territories that are doing their own thing. I liken it to trying to register a vehicle in Michigan versus trying to register the same vehicle in Georgia; two states dictating their own “This is how we do it” rules rather than a national “this is how it’s done” rule. Chaos. The Coronavirus is no different. Direct, from the top leadership on this virus is nowhere to be found, so, you get what we’ve got now, which, of course, and as expected, is a significant rise in cases amongst those that thought themselves “immune” or in places with the mentality of “we’re in decline so we can go back to the way it was before.” All of this was not unexpected, and rather, predicted.

So, here we are.

Sorry about your nails Greta. Had the people in your state heeded the many prior warnings and earlier taken the “us” road instead of the “me and mine” road, you might have had a place to go to show off your new nails.
    The beauty of Science hugely outranks the charms of superstition

LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

From watching states reopen, followed by the rise in cases it looks like casual mask usage combined with physical distancing and no stupid indoor gatherings keep the rate low enough for healthcare to absorb.

We had seen mask usage go from 95% down to 20% with no significant rise in cases. But then our state saw some parties, some memorial day stuff, and then cases rose.

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post

Sorry about your nails Greta. Had the people in your state heeded the many prior warnings and earlier taken the “us” road instead of the “me and mine” road, you might have had a place to go to show off your new nails.
    We've been doing just fine in my county. Even with every weekend seeing thousands (no exaggeration) flocking in from out of state and other hot-spot parts of the state. Arizona is getting a bad rap but in truth it is only ONE county that is out of control right now - and that is over 200 miles from me. Everyone here feels our mayor should close down the launch ramps and the lake but he has no authority to do that considering half of it is controlled by California. Things are not as cut and dry as everyone would like to think. Some things are indeed VERY complicated! It's easy to point a finger and say there is no direction or control from the top but the truth of the matter is, in this instance, the "top" is the governor of each individual state. And your analogy of registering a vehicle is spot on. There is no standardization and honestly I am glad. There is no reason for my county to be treated the same as New York City. And there is no reason for my county to be treated like Phoenix either. Again... my county is the 6th largest county in the United States... and we still only have 1071 confirmed positive cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    We've been doing just fine in my county. Even with every weekend seeing thousands (no exaggeration) flocking in from out of state and other hot-spot parts of the state. Arizona is getting a bad rap but in truth it is only ONE county that is out of control right now - and that is over 200 miles from me. Everyone here feels our mayor should close down the launch ramps and the lake but he has no authority to do that considering half of it is controlled by California. Things are not as cut and dry as everyone would like to think. Some things are indeed VERY complicated! It's easy to point a finger and say there is no direction or control from the top but the truth of the matter is, in this instance, the "top" is the governor of each individual state. And your analogy of registering a vehicle is spot on. There is no standardization and honestly I am glad. There is no reason for my county to be treated the same as New York City. And there is no reason for my county to be treated like Phoenix either. Again... my county is the 6th largest county in the United States... and we still only have 1071 confirmed positive cases.

ill trade my lake for yours sasha. they call are lake death lake most belive in haunted

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    ill trade my lake for yours sasha. they call are lake death lake most belive in haunted
    My lake is actually a section of the Colorado River. A part of the river was diverted to flow through a channel under the reconstructed London Bridge - the same one Jack the Ripper committed some of his murders under!!

My lake is actually a section of the Colorado River. A part of the river was diverted to flow through a channel under the reconstructed London Bridge - the same one Jack the Ripper committed some of his murders under!!
    dang sounds as scary as my lake. it will be insane on the 4th

Direct, from the top down leadership has existed from January on. Dr. Faucci, who's been with the CDC since the late 1960's, and Dr. Birx, have issued guidelines to be followed based on best thinking and what was known at the time. Greta's point re: no standardization is spot on- the good people in Fargo, North Dakota don't need to follow the same precautions as the good people in NYC. Local leadership based on conditions on the ground should, and have been, adapted to the guidance given. If one's not a fan of that guidance, and wants to do more to protect themselves based on their beliefs, nobody is stopping them.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

South Korea reaction to a pandemic was kinda like "let's look out for our elders".
    America reaction is "where's my free vaccine, hurry up".

In my state we begin phase 3 today (whatever that means). To a closed business owner it's probably a great day. To a UPS driver it's just July 1st. So today could mean a whole lot different to some.

Some feel the US government should have treated the pandemic like an invasion from Mars. Others say it was best left to states while Uncle Sam provides extra supplies when and where needed.

Some say being required to wear a mask is going too far. Others say "about time they did it".

Some say let herd immunity accelarate. Some say stop the spread until there's a cure.

Thing is, in America we get to do that.

Wash your hands, stay 6 feet apart, don't touch your face, cover your face when not 6' apart and we will all get through this.
    Oh, and turn off the dab-blame news for a week and see how much better you feel.
    John 3:16

Just learned that our governor here in New York, along with several others governors in America, has been actively petitioning the President to make mandatory mask wearing a nationwide thing. Guess we'll see if they make any headway in that endeavor.

Edit:
    Honestly not sure if the main reason they're doing so is because they believe it will help to save lives. Or, come re-election time, they can all pass the buck (and the blame) to someone else if such a measure ultimately proves to be unpopular with most voters in the long run.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-01-2020 at 06:20 AM. Reason: See Above.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Just learned that our governor here in New York, along with several others governors in America, has been actively petitioning the President to make mandatory mask wearing a nationwide thing. Guess we'll see if they make any headway in that endeavor.

Edit:
    Honestly not sure if the main reason they're doing so is because they believe it will help to save lives. Or, come re-election time, they can all pass the buck (and the blame) to someone else if such a measure ultimately proves to be unpopular with most voters in the long run.
    Governor Cuomo is the governor of New York.
    During one of his daily briefings a couple of days ago said:
    Governor Cuomo: "The President can do two things. First, sign an executive order directing everyone to wear a mask. How we're at this point as a nation and we still haven't done the simple, easy, minimal step of saying you must wear a mask when you're in public? The President doesn't have to pass a piece of legislation, doesn't have to call the Congress, just sign an executive order saying wear a mask."
    Cuomo: "Then let the President lead by example and let the President put a mask on it because we know it works. We've proven that it works in the State of New York."
    https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/vid...nd-put-mask-it

But back in the middle of April, when Trump stated he would tell the governors when to open their states, Cuomo's response was in part, there would be a Constitutional challenge:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...en-we-n1183341

Cuomo said Trump’s statement was "wrong," according to the Constitution. The authority to require businesses to close in a public health crisis is a "police power," and it is reserved by the Constitution for the states, not the federal government, experts told NBC News.
    "We don't have a king — we have a president, and that was a big decision," Cuomo said. "We ran away from having a king, and George Washington was president, not King Washington so the president doesn't have total authority. The Constitution is there, the 10th Amendment is there. ... It's very clear states have power by the 10th amendment."

So in my opinion, Cuomo is being a little cute. On one hand promoting local rule, and the other pushing for an unpopular Nation-wide Executive order. Especially when within his own state, he has different levels of restrictions.
    Last edited by Poppy; 07-01-2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added links to sources
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Comparing smoke to water droplets is like comparing apples to basketballs. Smoke is a gas, right? Droplets a liquid? Add a virus particle and perhaps call that a solid?

In my line of work we pressure test waterlines with water at 150psi. We test sewer lines with air (a gas) at 4 psi because air escapes much easier than water (a liquid).

Now the point was made in that article though that a face covering, even basic cloth like a hanky or t-shirt definitely reduces distance travelled by items expelled from our mouth and nose. Point well taken.

Now this mask or no mask debate also occured during the Spanish flu period. And it was just as heated back then and largely for the same reason. Many back then did not want to be told by elected people to wear a face covering. Only back then there was no instantanious mass media bullying people (on either side of the debate) like there is today.

Here's some historical stuff from circa 1916 to 1920
    https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/pho...-flu-pandemic/
    John 3:16

herman cain sadly will pass away from covid 19 . at his age it will be very hard to survive . im bummed i liked him i would of voted for him for potus

Flashaholic*

herman cain sadly will pass away from covid 19 . at his age it will be very hard to survive . im bummed i liked him i would of voted for him for potus
    What? He’s not even on a ventilator is he? He beat stage 4 cancer he’s a tough old bird.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    ... the good people in Fargo, North Dakota don't need to follow the same precautions as the good people in NYC. Local leadership based on conditions on the ground should, and have been, adapted to the guidance given. ...
    I think it's important to point out that ND and NY need to follow the same precautions, NY just needs them first. As we see, eventually this thing 'blows up', even in the states that thought they were immune due to heat, humidity, rural population, etc.

Florida has reached the limit, or close to it, of its testing capacity. I just heard from my cousin, a MD in AL, that all his clinics and hospitals he is responsible for are almost at their testing limits either due to scarcity of reagents or not enough machines to run tests.

One of the very few politicians I respect. Hoping you are wrong about him not surviving.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    What if your local hospital is up to their elbows in Covid cases, and you get hit by a drunk driver. Things are looking bad for you because guess what? Medical personnel are so overwhelmed you bled out. Oh well, you were going to die anyway? Do you have family members counting on you? Oh well, they are going to die anyway?
    Yes the stronger will survive but no need to hurry things along to prove manhood or act out a death wish. Advocating an accelerated infection rate makes you look unappealing to a lot of people for sure. This is not the kind of forum where anonymity allows ugliness.
    I am not worried about Covid-19 sir. I am not advocating an accelerated infection rate, as this is not a stoppable disease no matter the restrictions or mandates.

We do not wear a masks in the office, and this is in an attorney's office none the less. The other attorney is in his 50's who spent his life in the Air Force, retired and became an attorney. Some of our clients do wear masks, some do not. Yesterday we literally had a man who was scared to die, and voiced that to us in a closed door meeting yet he wore no mask and just said sneeze the other way if the need was to arise.

As a side note, no I do not have anyone who depends on me and my head is on straight, I can almost promise you that. Thank you for your concern. I will move on from this thread, as everyone has strong differing opinions about this issue and I certainly do not belong in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    Sorry about your nails Greta.
    Why? She got her nails done fine if I read correctly. Besides: if getting one's nails done is on the "to do" list, things are pretty much fine right?

Last night I was watching the BBC news, and they were complaining about the unfair practices of the US in that it was buying up all the remdesivir.

On one hand I thought... good for us, on the other hand, we complained that China bought up all of the PPE before they released info about the virus.

Here is a link that I found that speaks to the subject.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53254487

I think you are getting confused with the David Hasselhoff movie 'Bridge Across Time'!

There were no murders attributed to Jack the Ripper under London Bridge, but such a myth probably helps to generate visitors!

The 4th of July weekend is upon us.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend at home or nearby, and keeps their distance, to stay safe, from the virus.

No drinking and driving. :
    Last edited by Poppy; 07-03-2020 at 05:05 AM.

That post #1640 from Whitelight1 was certainly articulate. Still thinking it is appropriate/considerate to mask-up for the sake of others. Unfortunately, the curve in USA is not doing what was hoped so we can provide a more effective learning environment for our elementary students this upcoming school year, as opposed to the online stuff that was not so good during the lockdown. Right now state guidance is mandating a hybrid online/in person split shift version with some families choosing total online experience. If things go well, a more tried and true setup will be phased in but still no mass lunchtime or recess.

Meanwhile, this: Science finds that being kind pays off

https://apnews.com/f487b63befb2f4c31...o%20be%20kind.

"And she said in upcoming studies, she’s found more antiviral genes in people who performed acts of kindness."

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    That post #1640 from Whitelight1 was certainly articulate. Still thinking it is appropriate/considerate to mask-up for the sake of others. Unfortunately, the curve in USA is not doing what was hoped so we can provide a more effective learning environment for our elementary students this upcoming school year, as opposed to the online stuff that was not so good during the lockdown. Right now state guidance is mandating a hybrid online/in person split shift version with some families choosing total online experience. If things go well, a more tried and true setup will be phased in but still no mass lunchtime or recess.

Meanwhile, this: Science finds that being kind pays off

https://apnews.com/f487b63befb2f4c31...o%20be%20kind.

"And she said in upcoming studies, she’s found more antiviral genes in people who performed acts of kindness."

Yes. Mask, physical distancing, and no crowded indoor stuff.

I dread when the schools reopen. On one hand it will push numbers higher. On the other we can't keep kids out long enough for this thing to pass.

If you want to cut through the 'hope' look at the numbers. This virus is a math problem at the core of it. If an infected person contacts A people for B time doing C activity with D level of protection then you've got E chance of spreading. I have not seen a curve that has gone down... just ones that didn't go up as fast. I am talking about the US here... but even foreign countries are not done with this yet.

I feel like we are the blind men examining an elephant (myself included). Some see personal liberty, some see death, some see exhaustion, some see elderly family they can't visit, and some are truly blind and deny the elephant exists.
    Last edited by turbodog; 07-03-2020 at 02:02 PM.

another big name got it Kimberly Guilfoyle

another big name got it Kimberly Guilfoyle
    yup

the circle gets smaller

bet trump will get it before this is all over

https://apnews.com/ab95adeb3a6102c88...source=Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    yup

the circle gets smaller

im pretty sure his son has it i hope not but i have a weird feeling

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    yup

the circle gets smaller

A lot of people will get it before it is over with.... way way too many people to infect and I don't think masks are nearly a protective as people think they are. Personally I think distancing works but there are too many people with lousy masks not wearing them right etc that are infecting and being infected. What we haven't heard of at all is the percentage of people infected with and without masks on.... I wonder why no study has been brought forth on this at all? Curious eh?
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 54548495051525354555657585960616265 ... LastLast