Malkoff        
Page 60 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1050535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 2055

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

In my experience, the best use for portable AC units is supplementary cooling; my use has been supplementing the primary AC which has never cooled my home office well.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Last year we bought a 14000 btu dual hose Friedrich portable unit with an EER of 9.5

The compressor is really quiet. Three fan speeds, and on high, it is a little loud, but low, fairly quiet.
    I'll consider looking at that model if I need to replace the horrific LG I got for next to nothing, I can't revive the old Whynter dual-hose I used for years, and I can't improve the insulation to the point that the central AC can handle things. A window unit would be ideal, but this is the front of the house, I've got monolithic solar screens over a compound window, and accessing the second floor from the ground is cumbersome, thus the solution has been the loathed portable AC.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Perhaps a "ductless mini-split air conditioner" would work for you.
    I've never done one, but they appear easy enough for a DIY install and come pre-charged with refrigerant.

They are very quiet, or can be.You might be able to install the condenser coil on the side of the house, and place the evaporator unit anywhere you have wall space within 25' of the condenser coil.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Has anyone else noticed the signs in stores saying there is a coin and small dollar bill shortage? Apparently, the treasury isn't making as much as usual and with so many places closed, there is less in circulation due to the virus. Stores are asking for exact change. Some store lines aren't accepting cash. Hope nobody has to do their laundry at a laundrymat anytime soon.

As for the hospitals being full, yes, I've heard that few beds are taken up from corona virus patients. The majority are from a backlog of "elective" surgery patients. To me, elective means not essential like cosmetic surgeries or liposuction. The "elective" surgeries that have been postponed include ones that are essential such as ones to keep cancer from spreading, eye surgeries, etc. These are often the types of surgeries that if you postpone, you have an increased risk of fatality or postpone the patient from being able to work to support themselves. I consider those essential. My dad was finally able to get surgery to fix his foot and is waiting for approval for eye surgery. The hospitals not being allowed to perform these surgeries has brought the industry near to bankruptcy and some hospitals have already closed or laid off workers because of it. If they cancel these "elective" surgeries again, it won't help anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post

As for the hospitals being full, yes, I've heard that few beds are taken up from corona virus patients. The majority are from a backlog of "elective" surgery patients. To me, elective means not essential like cosmetic surgeries or liposuction. The "elective" surgeries that have been postponed include ones that are essential such as ones to keep cancer from spreading, eye surgeries, etc. These are often the types of surgeries that if you postpone, you have an increased risk of fatality or postpone the patient from being able to work to support themselves. I consider those essential. My dad was finally able to get surgery to fix his foot and is waiting for approval for eye surgery. The hospitals not being allowed to perform these surgeries has brought the industry near to bankruptcy and some hospitals have already closed or laid off workers because of it. If they cancel these "elective" surgeries again, it won't help anyone.
    Elective is non-life threatening. It would include knee/hip replacements, etc.

MS shutdown elective 2 days ago. https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/resources/8718.pdf

This is for procedures when OVERNIGHT stay(s) are expected. Same day is not affected (yet).
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Has anyone else noticed the signs in stores saying there is a coin and small dollar bill shortage? Apparently, the treasury isn't making as much as usual and with so many places closed, there is less in circulation due to the virus. Stores are asking for exact change. Some store lines aren't accepting cash. Hope nobody has to do their laundry at a laundrymat anytime soon.
    Thankfully no, that's not the case here in New York city. Stores still accept cash, and can still give out proper change without any issue. As for laundry, I'm thankful to live in a building with a dedicated laundry room. Machines use Laundry Card readers which residents can purchase and refill from a small machine located in the room itself. Makes things very convenient. Refill the card with singles, a fiver, ten, or twenty dollar bill; and you're good. You'll find the same set-up in many college residents Halls around the city as well.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I was in a WM a few days ago that all their self serve registers were card only (no cash) and I had to buy $6 of groceries on a card which I typically don't like to do often. As far as elective surgery you have to remember that doctors who are surgeons have been also shut down due to the virus and not have had their normal income which one of their bills probably includes a large student loan etc.
    I think the media is capitalizing on the idea that Covid is overrunning the ICU and I've seen forums/threads elsewhere where people are failing to mention that 85% of the beds in Texas hospitals are filled with NON covid patients (only 15% Covid) trying to freak people out that with the idea the virus has the 85% and the "death" cases are going to skyrocket.
    Waiting 3 months in discomfort is not a good thing sometimes the stress can cause problems for some people who an elective surgery can make the quality of their life increase tremendously.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Yes, but when an ICU fills up, regardless of what patients are in there, it's full. This is a problem for c-19 and normal patients also.

Florida spiked (and has continued). Their ICU lags infection by a couple of weeks. Then deaths will lag that by a couple more. It's coming...

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Yes, but when an ICU fills up, regardless of what patients are in there, it's full. This is a problem for c-19 and normal patients also.

Florida spiked (and has continued). Their ICU lags infection by a couple of weeks. Then deaths will lag that by a couple more. It's coming...
    I agree, and many hospitals have methods to deal with their ICU filling up they can relegate other parts of the hospital as ICU units with some work that will function well enough. I read a web site by Texas Medical Center where they have 3 phases of expansion of the hospital to handle increasing ICU loads already planned but that won't stop the media from trying to instill the idea that ICU unit beds are a static amount and if there aren't any left (because they say so) then people will die and that isn't true. Hospitals cannot stop operating just to make sure potential Covid victims have beds for them and when beds are empty in the hospital their operating costs are split among the beds that are full too many empty beds can put a hospital in the red and cause more unemployment so there is a balancing act that can be done no need to freak out and shut down everyone because of the virus just adjust and move on.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I said some of this in a recent post. ICU being full is not end of world... maybe a precursor. Watch for hospitals going into bypass mode. I know there are a growing # of these in FL and AL. Central MS is hitting critical levels as well.

I said some of this in a recent post. ICU being full is not end of world... maybe a precursor. Watch for hospitals going into bypass mode. I know there are a growing # of these in FL and AL. Central MS is hitting critical levels as well.
    Probably those hospitals ICU's are mostly full of non Covid patients too.

One I have seen are required to maintain 25% free ICU capacity in order to perform elective surgery.

One I have seen are required to maintain 25% free ICU capacity in order to perform elective surgery.
    I'm sure in time of crisis that rule is bendable.

so do we still have cpfers who wont wear a mask? i love you all in a way youll love ya brother or sister or a freind
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Iíd love to take in a jar of change to the bank but the lobby is still closed. Iím pretty sure thatís whatís causing the change shortage. Canít cash in change when all the banks are drive through only.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    so do we still have cpfers who wont wear a mask? i love you all in a way youll love ya brother or sister or a freind
    Can I breathe on you? :P

lol on the the good things about being socaily phobic no one gets close enough to breath on me. but if its lady gaga id break my rule or hallie berry lol
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Iíd love to take in a jar of change to the bank but the lobby is still closed. Iím pretty sure thatís whatís causing the change shortage. Canít cash in change when all the banks are drive through only.
    You've got the coinmaster machines in grocery stores, but they charge a percentage for redemption. Bank is free. Put it in a bag and drop it in the night drop with your info in the bag.

Flashaholic*

You've got the coinmaster machines in grocery stores, but they charge a percentage for redemption. Bank is free. Put it in a bag and drop it in the night drop with your info in the bag.
    Iíve lived in three states and banked with several. Never seen such a thing haha
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Go to a grocery store and I bet they will buy all you have gladly.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Make sure you have the coins rolled, banks Won't roll them for you. And if you drop them, write your name on each roll. You just cannot take a bunch of coins in unwrapped, so go to the bank first and get the rolls.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    Make sure you have the coins rolled, banks Won't roll them for you. And if you drop them, write your name on each roll. You just cannot take a bunch of coins in unwrapped, so go to the bank first and get the rolls.
    Coinstar machines take loose coins.

https://www.coinstar.com/findakiosk

All the local banks take loose coins also. They bag them, tag them, send downtown for processing. Deposit shows up next day. Bank does not change anything for customers.

I donít need the cash at the moment. Iím just saying itís likely one of the causes of the coin shortage. My bank dumps the coins in a counter, they tell me how much, and I can deposit or get cash.

I donít need the cash at the moment. Iím just saying itís likely one of the causes of the coin shortage. My bank dumps the coins in a counter, they tell me how much, and I can deposit or get cash.
    More of a general FYI. I see tons of people paying surcharge at coinstar machines. Most don't know banks count loose coins for free.
    Of of my bank branches actually had a self-serve machine in the bank... corner of lobby. Didn't last though. they took it out.

More of a general FYI. I see tons of people paying surcharge at coinstar machines. Most don't know banks count loose coins for free.
    Of of my bank branches actually had a self-serve machine in the bank... corner of lobby. Didn't last though. they took it out.
    Some banks do it for free other charge even their own patrons. Like I said I would bet money almost any retail establishment would love to have more change as Another place I shopped at with self service didn't have a machine that would take cash due to no change.

Haven't seen banks here that take loose change.
    Years ago I got rid of a huge jar of change by pocketing the nickels/dimes/etc, and running the pennies through the CoinStar machine for $7 or so.
    Figured it was the best use of my time vs. minimizing fees.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Well, we do not have any coins so I cannot test the system.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

I just started the habit of spending my change about 20 years ago or so. I rarely have more than $3 worth of pocket change on me usually about $1.50 as I used to keep a few quarters for pay phones but you can't find them any more and I have a smart phone now and most food vending machines take $1 bills.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    I've held off for a long time. Just recently started wearing one after looking around and seeing 9/10 people wearing them. And this is in a place where the virus doesn't seem to be taken very seriously.

I wasn't on board with making a political statement or exercising my rights; I just didn't really care. But regardless whether or not it helps...it certainly doesn't hurt. Just wear it to avoid dirty looks and make people feel better. Everyone is off balance lately anyway. I feel bad for employees that have to wear it all day. But for me, 15 minutes of shopping, no big deal.

From the beginning, I couldn't really care less if I got this thing. Then I start hearing about some long-term effects. Ehh, not so sure now.

Regarding coins, I just walked past the change sorter/counter (I work at a bank) and saw the last readout on the screen "$1,032.90". That guy must have pushed in a wheelbarrow!
    GOOD TINT!

For those curious about the latest national and state statistics, NY1 News (Biggest news channel here in New York State that mainly focuses on local and state news stories); has just announced 400,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 infection in the state.

Also.... While looking to organize the items in my apartment and store them away, stumbled across two giant packs of fake masks. These are one-layer, ridiculously thin synthetic fabric that feels like the very thin material used in making Ladies silk nightgowns. (Though obviously it's not silk.) Olson style mask pattern, with the nose section not nearly as pronounced as it should be. And integrated ear-loops cut out of the material itself. So literally a one-piece mask in that regard. But sewn down the middle to keep it from being completely flat.

Now, I don't remember even getting these. Then again, with all the mask deliveries I've gotten over the last 3 or 4 months (quite a few for donation purposes); I guess that's not surprising. Seriously, you could take one of these, fold it in half, easily put it in a standard business-length envelope, mail it off to someone; and no one at the post office would even notice anything unusual about the envelope.

To clarify, these aren't sold like the Outlaw T68-SP "helmet." Which is literally just a skull-cap intentionally sold so some bikers can be compliant with mandatory helmet laws, when they don't want to wear helmets. Meeting the strict letter of such laws, they protect nothing! Might as well be wearing a paper-hat folded up from a newspaper as head protection.

No, these "masks" are sold as being the real thing. To many people in desperate need of masks who think these will be good to get. Just disgusting all the various ways some folks are profiteering off of this planetary pandemic. Sitting here with these things though, it occurs to me that quite a few folks would happily buy them. The same ones who would buy an Outlaw T68-SP "helmet." Same ones who know full well they're buying something designed to only look like the real thing, just to comply with the strict letter of the law.

I could re-sell these as such. Or even offer to give them away. They're so ridiculously flimsy and thin. Tried one on. Ironically it stays on the face, as long as you don't talk or move your mouth at all. Oh well, I've never been much of a businessman at all in Life. And, no way in hell is my conscience going to allow me to give these away. Looks like my EDC Ontario RAT-2 is going to get to chew through some integrated ear-loops before I chuck these disgusting things in the trash where they belong.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Page 60 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1050535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast