Malkoff        
Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13535657585960616263646566676869 LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 2062

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    It's airborne, so they also need to wear goggles.
    tell the health professionals that... nobody is recommending goggles that I've heard in the media. I wear reading glasses when I shop but no mask but I distance and have a very strong immune system
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    In just the fast few days I've seen posts from two different thirtysomethings who said "Hell no, I'm not wearing a mask, it's a hoax, my freedom, etc)... and now they're both dead from Covid. These are preventable tragedies.
    That's the demographic that's driving the surge all across my state. I can understand the frustration but you're not just hurting yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    tell the health professionals that... nobody is recommending goggles that I've heard in the media. I wear reading glasses when I shop but no mask but I distance and have a very strong immune system
    A lot of them are wearing face-shields.

Many may also believe that they have a super immune system from being exposed to all sorts of stuff for years.

I think in part they have been under-reporting it being airborne, they still need PPE's for themselves.

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, Dr Campbell was commenting on a couple who sent a photo in of them wearing face masks. He not only approved of the fact that they were wearing a face mask, but that they were also wearing glasses!
    Last edited by Poppy; 07-12-2020 at 05:35 PM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    Camus is never depressing in my opinion. His empathy towards the human condition is unflinching during fascism or a plague.
    So it's an interpretation of what would occur.

Might make for a truly fascinating read in that case.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

In just the fast few days I've seen posts from two different thirtysomethings who said "Hell no, I'm not wearing a mask, it's a hoax, my freedom, etc)... and now they're both dead from Covid. These are preventable tragedies.
    Exactly! Especially since early on we had a bunch of Spring-breakers who didn't take it seriously. Went on the news stating so.... Then they all got infected.

And yet, you still have people refusing to be actually open-minded. They made up their minds based on their own prejudices early on before all the information was out there, and now doggedly stick to them. Regardless of the facts. Simply trying to convince others. In any way they can.

They don't get it, they never will. It's all about layers of protection in areas where infection is a real possibility. Perfect example: When Nuclear missiles are transported across America. Decades earlier, there were some incidents. South Carolina in 1958. North Carolina in 1961. Just two examples. One that accidentally fell to Earth, and was recovered, turned out that the numerous safe-guards put into place; all failed except the very last one.

That last layer of protection made all the difference in the world. Same thing with this virus. Masks, social distancing, going out only when necessary, proper and frequent hand-washing, using hand-sanitizer, using gloves.... All layers. Ironically, strictly adhered to, a person doesn't become infected. Will never know if they came close, and avoided inflection due to one of those layers. But good luck convincing people with the same mentality as those 30-somethings of that concept of layers.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Many may also believe that they have a super immune system from being exposed to all sorts of stuff for years.

I think this is an overlooked topic. The immune system being too strong is precisely some of the problem. The lungs get flooded with the consequences of immune response and you drown. Apparently, your immune response is in 2 phases. This bugger bypasses phase 1, then phase 2 goes off the rails.

Maybe the folks driving the recent surges will get their head on straight when deaths start spiking.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I think this is an overlooked topic. The immune system being too strong is precisely some of the problem. The lungs get flooded with the consequences of immune response and you drown. Apparently, your immune response is in 2 phases. This bugger bypasses phase 1, then phase 2 goes off the rails.

Maybe the folks driving the recent surges will get their head on straight when deaths start spiking.
    This is the cytokine storm I've read about, correct?

i hope in reducing my risk. before i get to store a block away i put on mask and use alchol based cleaner to clean hands i get my grocerys leave store clean hands again then take mask off a block or so away i figure i want to kill anything on hands before i touch mask and face. ps am i the only one who is always on the wrong end ofbthe aisle?
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

A lot of them are wearing face-shields.

I think in part they have been under-reporting it being airborne, they still need PPE's for themselves.

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, Dr Campbell was commenting on a couple who sent a photo in of them wearing face masks. He not only approved of the fact that they were wearing a face mask, but that they were also wearing glasses!
    Well nobody I've watched or read about other than a few people posting online have said anything about glasses. In fact our mayor is trying to put in place mandatory masking in place here. If you can get it through the eyes then without glasses the masks are possibly a waste of time as IMO some masks actually push any incoming air into your eyes thus increasing the chance of them being used to be infected. I sort of don't overly understand the gloves bit for the virus as washing your hands is effective enough if you get the virus on the gloves you can touch things just as easy as your hands and I don't think the odds of getting the virus through cuts on your hands is high enough to be concerned with.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    i hope in reducing my risk. before i get to store a block away i put on mask and use alchol based cleaner to clean hands i get my grocerys leave store clean hands again then take mask off a block or so away i figure i want to kill anything on hands before i touch mask and face. ps am i the only one who is always on the wrong end ofbthe aisle?
    If you can resist touching your face especially your eyes and mouth and nose areas then you don't really need to sanitize your hands all the time in public just wash them good when you get home after you put your groceries and other things away as it is possible the virus could be on the containers and bags you are carrying although they say it is considerably harder to get it off of surfaces than through the air.

If you can resist touching your face especially your eyes and mouth and nose areas then you don't really need to sanitize your hands all the time in public just wash them good when you get home after you put your groceries and other things away as it is possible the virus could be on the containers and bags you are carrying although they say it is considerably harder to get it off of surfaces than through the air.
    my mind tricks me that my face is itchy or im adjusting my glasses.
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

I"m not sure I would say the immune systems of people who get such responses are due to strength but rather inexperience as the response is to attack the wrong thing not attack the virus with overwhelming amount of white blood cells. Typically people with weak immune systems get swollen lymph nodes when they are infected while those with strong ones don't have to pump out a massive amount of white blood cells to fight something off and in the end attacking everything in sight. It is sort of like having a strong man with martial arts mastery taking on the bad guy vs a wimpy accountant who is clueless as to how to fight and screams for a dozen more accountants who then go nuts destroying everything in sight hoping to kill the bad guys while the Bruce Lee white cells go.... BONK and are done with it.
    Last edited by Lynx_Arc; 07-12-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Well nobody I've watched or read about other than a few people posting online have said anything about glasses. In fact our mayor is trying to put in place mandatory masking in place here. If you can get it through the eyes then without glasses the masks are possibly a waste of time as IMO some masks actually push any incoming air into your eyes thus increasing the chance of them being used to be infected. I sort of don't overly understand the gloves bit for the virus as washing your hands is effective enough if you get the virus on the gloves you can touch things just as easy as your hands and I don't think the odds of getting the virus through cuts on your hands is high enough to be concerned with.
    What part of "wear a mask to protect others" and "they wear a mask to protect you" don't you understand?

If you want to protect you, follow the instructions in this CDC video.
    Put on face shield or goggles is at 3:05

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...using-ppe.html

Updated on June 9, 2020 to add a statement about the importance of the selected respirator and eye protection not interfering with the correct fit or function of the other,
    Last edited by Poppy; 07-13-2020 at 05:47 AM.

I see nobody using gloves properly. You put gloves on, touch contaminated surface, remove gloves (properly), and throw them away. A set of gloves is usually for extremely short use.

This is the cytokine storm I've read about, correct?
    Yes.

I did some light reading on it. Immune response is 2 stage. Something about stage 1 not being triggered is causing a 'flood' of stage 2... which chokes up the lung tissue. Been a month or so since I read up on it, but that's the short version.

I"m not sure I would say the immune systems of people who get such responses are due to strength but rather inexperience as the response is to attack the wrong thing not attack the virus with overwhelming amount of white blood cells. Typically people with weak immune systems get swollen lymph nodes when they are infected while those with strong ones don't have to pump out a massive amount of white blood cells to fight something off and in the end attacking everything in sight. It is sort of like having a strong man with martial arts mastery taking on the bad guy vs a wimpy accountant who is clueless as to how to fight and screams for a dozen more accountants who then go nuts destroying everything in sight hoping to kill the bad guys while the Bruce Lee white cells go.... BONK and are done with it.
    Sorry, but so far there's no research to go with that, or none that I've seen so far.

Here's a decent article on immune decline as we age:

https://www.buckinstitute.org/blog/c...immune-system/

Here's a longer article on why the young are not nearly as affected:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...9-kids/611728/

I see nobody using gloves properly. You put gloves on, touch contaminated surface, remove gloves (properly), and throw them away. A set of gloves is usually for extremely short use.
    Same. Early on people were wearing gloves and doing the exact same things they would without them as if they were some magical ward.

The average person does OK with protective gloves when the hazard is A) obvious, and B) limited in scope/geography - i.e. washing dishes, painting, working on a car, handling pool chemicals, etc: the hazard(s) are apparent and well-defined. Suspect that folks with a food service background might do better with gloves in public than randoms since they have an understanding of cross-contamination, but the previous points still apply.

But really, gloves are a silly thing to be wearing in public where the exposure is decidedly non-occupational and just avoiding touching your face in public then washing your hands afterwards with ordinary soap is effective.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    ....ps am i the only one who is always on the wrong end of the aisle?
    Sometimes it's best not to move along with the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    But really, gloves are a silly thing to be wearing in public where the exposure is decidedly non-occupational and just avoiding touching your face in public then washing your hands afterwards with ordinary soap is effective.
    Used to think the same thing, up until last week. Picked up some raw pork at the supermarket that was supposed to be properly wrapped and sealed. It wasn't. Thankfully had disposable gloves on. Local grocery store won't let you in without both a mask and a pair of gloves on. They'll just kick you right out. They don't care who you are. The owner of that place is not screwing around. And quite frankly, I don't blame him!

Usually hit the supermarket without gloves. Relying on hand-sanitizer or hand washing after I get home. Nothing like fingers covered in raw pork juices to make me re-think the usefulness of gloves. Took off the contaminated glove. Threw it away. Put on a new glove. (I carry two pairs with me in case I run into a neighbor outside who might need a pair. I keep them in a Zip-lock baggie.) One thing I NEVER touch when out and about, is my smartphone. Far too easy for cross contamination to occur.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-13-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Clarification.

FULL DISCLOSURE AND WARNING: I DID NOT WRITE THIS - I FOUND IT ON FACEBOOK AND HAD A GREAT LAUGH! THERE IS SOME "INAPPROPRIATE" LANGUAGE. OVERALL - JUST ENJOY!

I laughed way too hard. Is it delirium?

OMG, this sums it up for all of us. So many rapid-fire events happening this year that ya just gotta laugh (or cry). SMH ...you can’t make this stuff up!!

Dear Diary 2020 Edition,

In January, Australia caught on fire. I don’t even know if that fire was put out, because we straight up almost went to war with Iran. We might actually still be almost at war with them. I don’t know, because Jen Aniston and Brad Pitt spoke to one another at an awards show and everyone flipped the f--- out, but then there was thing happening in China, then Prince Harry and Megan peaced out of the Royal family, and there was the whole impeachment trial, and then corona virus showed up in the US “officially,” but then Kobe died and UK peaced out of the European Union.

In February, Iowa crapped itself with the caucus results and the president was acquitted and the Speaker of the House took ten years to rip up a speech, but then WHO decided to give this virus a name COVID-19, which confused some really important people in charge of, like, our lives, into thinking there were 18 other versions before it, but then Harvey Weinstein was found guilty, and Americans started asking if Corona beer was safe to drink, and everyone on Facebook became a doctor who just knew the flu like killed way more people than COVID 1 through 18.

In March, shit hit the fan. Warren dropped out of the presidential race and Sanders was like Bernie or bust, but then Italy shut its whole ass down, and then COVID Not 1 through 18 officially become what everyone already realized, a pandemic and then a nationwide state of emergency was declared in US, but it didn’t really change anything, so everyone was confused or thought it was still just a flu, but then COVID Not 18 was like ya’ll not taking me seriously? I’m gonna infect the one celebrity everyone loves and totally infected Tom Hanks, but then the DOW took a shit on itself, and most of us still don’t understand why the stock market is so important or even a thing (I still don’t), but then we were all introduced to Tiger King. (Carol totally killed her husband), and Netflix was like you’re welcome, and we all realized there was no way we were washing our hands enough in the first place because all of our hands are now dry and gross.

In April, Bernie finally busted himself out of the presidential race, but then NYC became the set of The Walking Dead and we learned that no one has face masks, ventilators, or toilet paper, or THE FREAKING SWIFFER WET JET LIQUID, but then Kim Jong-Un died, but then he came back to life… or did he? Who knows, because then the Pentagon released videos of UFOs and nobody cared, and we were like man, it’s only April….

In May, the biblical end times kicked off historical locust swarms and then we learned of murder hornets and realized that 2020 was the start of the Hunger Games but people forgot to let us know, but then people legit protested lockdown measures with AR-15s, and then sports events were cancelled everywhere. But then people all over America finally reached a breaking point with race issues and violence. There were protests in every city, but then people forgot about the pandemic called COVID Not One Through 18. Media struggled with how to focus on two important things at once, but then people in general struggle to focus on more than one important thing, and a dead whale was found in the middle of the Amazon rain forest after monkeys stole COVID 1 Through 19 from a lab and ran off with them, and either in May or April (no one is keeping track of time now) that a giant asteroid narrowly missed Earth.

In June, science and common sense just got thrown straight out the window and somehow wearing masks became a political thing, but then a whole lot of people realized the south was actually the most unpatriotic thing ever and actually lost the civil war, and there are a large amount of people who feel that statues they don’t even know the name of are needed for … history reasons..... but then everyone sort of remembered there was a pandemic, but then decided that not wearing a mask was somehow a God given right (still haven't found that part in the bible or even in the constitution), but then scientists announced they found a mysterious undiscovered mass at the center of the earth, and everyone was like DON’T YOU DARE TOUCH IT, but then everyone took a pause to realize that people actually believed Gone With The Wind was like non-fiction, but then it was also announced that there is a strange radio signal coming from somewhere in the universe that repeats itself every so many days, and everyone was like DON’T YOU DARE ATTEMPT TO COMMUNICATE WITH IT, but then America reopened from the shut down that actually wasn’t even a shut down, and so far, things have gone spectacularly not that great, but everyone is on Facebook arguing that masks kill because no one knows how breathing works, but then Florida was like hold my beer and let me show you how we’re number one in all things, including new Not Corona Beer Corona Virus. Trump decides now is a good time to ask the Supreme Court to shut down Obama Care because what better time to do so than in the middle of a pandemic, but then we learned there was a massive dust cloud coming straight at us from the Sahara Desert, which is totally normal, but this is 2020, so the ghost mummy thing is most likely in that dust cloud, but then I learned of meth-gators, and I'm like that is so not on my f-ing 2020 Bingo card, but then we learned that the Congo's worst ever Ebola outbreak is over, and we were all like, there was an Ebola outbreak that was the worst ever?

In July…. Aliens? Zeus? Asteroids? Artificial Intelligence becomes self aware?

Thanks to whoever started this for the copy and paste.
    I have no idea who wrote this; and damn it, I want to know.
    Also, why didn't I know about the whale in the Amazon?

I copied and pasted this so it will show up on my notifications next year to remind me of what happened before July 1, 2020 - Not that I could ever forget.

On another note - just saw this in my FB feed also:

SAFE SPACE Technology has come to Lake Havasu!
    For those of you who have been wondering if it's safe to dine in our local restaurants, Tim Shugrue has now installed Vollara's Air & Surface Air Purifiers in all 7 of our restaurants.

These machines are not filtration systems. Instead they use ActivePure technology (Super Oxidizers) which work 24/7 to kill all air and surface contaminants and pathogens. Too good to be true? Well, it was created 25 years ago by NASA for the space station and tested in FDA-certified labs and found to be effective against RNA and DNA viruses like Coronaviruses, Swine Flu (H1N1), Noro Virus, Avian Bird Flu, Hepatitis A, bacteria, molds, fungus and a host of allergens. Within 15 minutes all trace of these contaminants have been 99.999% removed.

These machines are currently being used in the Ground Zero Museum, thousands of homes and businesses, Care centers, Athletic Facilities, Doctor/dentist Offices, Vet Clinics, and approved for use in all Canadian Hospitals.

For more info visit https://www.vollara.com

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Here is a product of theirs I think and the company used to be called Ecoquest I think.
    https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00021703C
    I would guess that they are peddling ozoneators or however you spell that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    On another note - just saw this in my FB feed also:

SAFE SPACE Technology has come to Lake Havasu!
    For those of you who have been wondering if it's safe to dine in our local restaurants, Tim Shugrue has now installed Vollara's Air & Surface Air Purifiers in all 7 of our restaurants.

These machines are not filtration systems. Instead they use ActivePure technology (Super Oxidizers) which work 24/7 to kill all air and surface contaminants and pathogens. Too good to be true? Well, it was created 25 years ago by NASA for the space station and tested in FDA-certified labs and found to be effective against RNA and DNA viruses like Coronaviruses, Swine Flu (H1N1), Noro Virus, Avian Bird Flu, Hepatitis A, bacteria, molds, fungus and a host of allergens. Within 15 minutes all trace of these contaminants have been 99.999% removed.
    These machines are currently being used in the Ground Zero Museum, thousands of homes and businesses, Care centers, Athletic Facilities, Doctor/dentist Offices, Vet Clinics, and approved for use in all Canadian Hospitals.

For more info visit https://www.vollara.com

Just one. How long does it take a sneeze or cough to make its way across the room, or across just a few tables?
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Link doesn't go to a specific product, however that vendor sells an Air & Surface Pro and Air & Surface Pro+ products that look like standalone air ionizers. They may well do what they claim, but something inline with the HVAC system seems like it would be far more effective.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Link doesn't go to a specific product, however that vendor sells an Air & Surface Pro and Air & Surface Pro+ products that look like standalone air ionizers. They may well do what they claim, but something inline with the HVAC system seems like it would be far more effective.
    I wouldn't bet my life on it.
    They claim:
    Covers a range of 500 sq. ft. | (42 m2) to 3000 sq. ft. (279 m2)*

To evaluate it you'd need to know how many cubic feet per period of time.

A quick search returned this from the EPA.
    https://www.epa.gov/coronavirus/will...amily-covid-19

Will an Ozone Generator protect me and my family from COVID-19?

No, do not use ozone generators in occupied spaces. When used at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone applied to indoor air does not effectively remove viruses, bacteria, mold, or other biological pollutants. Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's website for best practices to protect yourself and your family.

Return to Frequent Questions about Indoor Air and Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).

Handy tip... if you are considering an ozone generator, don't.

If you get it concentrated enough to kill bugs it will 1) possibly damage your lung tissue and 2) 'run you out' of the room WAY before then.

I bought a small, light duty commercial unit to try and save my butt after the kids microwaved a single server macaroni WITHOUT the water. The smell soaked into the kitchen cabinet plywood/etc. We literally though we were going to have to throw away: kitchen cabinets, couch, loveseat, recliner, lot of clothes, bedspreads, etc.

It worked and removed ALL smoke odor. Took DAYS of ventilation before you could re-enter the house.

Here are some examples of irony this year:
    Tanning salons (with virus killing u.v. lights) and bars serving alcohol being shut down to prevent people getting corona virus. Alcohol being repurposed from liquor companies to make hand sanitizer to kill corona virus.
    People protesting the police calling the police for help.
    People holding signs saying they want over 100,000 black people to lose their jobs and saying you're racist if you don't agree with them.
    Churches, funerals, and weddings being shut down while thousands march in the streets because the government wants people to be able to express their first amendment rights.
    Criminals being released while law abididing citizens are confined to their homes.
    People complaining of vandalism for others painting over their message in the street while they tear down historical statues across the country.
    Getting a college degree to get a high paying job only to find out that all government jobs will now be hiring based on skills, not degrees.
    Corona beer is no longer being made due to the spread of corona virus.
    People making more than they would working on unemployment causes high unemployment.

Looked at the difference between ozone generator and ion generator.

Ozone: makes ozone (O3) which oxidizes stuff it contacts (particles AND gases/odors) and permanently combines with it, neutralizing it.

Ion: puts an electrical charge on particles passing through it. particles then are attracted to surfaces and stick to them via static electricity.

Problem with BOTH is that it takes a LONG time to filter the air, when you are mixing the 'clean' air back in with your 'dirty' air.

There's one thing I don't understand about this product. It contains electrodes for ionizing the air (which produces ozone) and the UVC lamp makes... more ozone? I'm assuming the intention of the UVC lamp is to kill germs. Older UVC lamps made of fused quartz produce a lot of ozone, to the point that they were called "ozone bulbs." Modern UVC germicidal lamps are built using a specially formulated glass envelope to allow the 254nm germicidal wavelength through, but block the shorter wavelengths that produce ozone.

Ozone is good in the upper atmosphere but is a pollutant at ground level and a lung irritant.

I wouldn't bet my life on it.
    They claim:
    Covers a range of 500 sq. ft. | (42 m2) to 3000 sq. ft. (279 m2)*

To evaluate it you'd need to know how many cubic feet per period of time.

A quick search returned this from the EPA.
    https://www.epa.gov/coronavirus/will...amily-covid-19

Will an Ozone Generator protect me and my family from COVID-19?

No, do not use ozone generators in occupied spaces. When used at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone applied to indoor air does not effectively remove viruses, bacteria, mold, or other biological pollutants. Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's website for best practices to protect yourself and your family.

Return to Frequent Questions about Indoor Air and Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).
    Looked at the difference between ozone generator and ion generator.

Ozone: makes ozone (O3) which oxidizes stuff it contacts (particles AND gases/odors) and permanently combines with it, neutralizing it.

Ion: puts an electrical charge on particles passing through it. particles then are attracted to surfaces and stick to them via static electricity.

Problem with BOTH is that it takes a LONG time to filter the air, when you are mixing the 'clean' air back in with your 'dirty' air.
    There's one thing I don't understand about this product. It contains electrodes for ionizing the air (which produces ozone) and the UVC lamp makes... more ozone? I'm assuming the intention of the UVC lamp is to kill germs. Older UVC lamps made of fused quartz produce a lot of ozone, to the point that they were called "ozone bulbs." Modern UVC germicidal lamps are built using a specially formulated glass envelope to allow the 254nm germicidal wavelength through, but block the shorter wavelengths that produce ozone.

Ozone is good in the upper atmosphere but is a pollutant at ground level and a lung irritant.
    My main thought was that a tabletop unit strikes me as being a poor substitute for something that filters / treats / sterilizes the entirety of recirculating HVAC throughput which is known to be a vector for the COVID-19 virus.
    Last edited by idleprocess; 07-13-2020 at 05:27 PM.

Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13535657585960616263646566676869 LastLast