Jetbeam        
Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Coronavirus - II

This is a continuation of this thread. The topic is welcome here. Political discord isn't. For that use our Underground Board.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

I tried signing up for that weeks ago, and never received an activation E-Mail.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

So today the US may crack gold record status. The 1 million mark.

Scientists are ceaselessy searching for ways to stop it. Big pharma is searching for a pill to treat it and the wheels on the bus go round and round.

My community has been deemed an out break area. We were the last in the area and being surrounded by out breaks it was just a matter of time. Nothing on the scale of a Detroit or Philly, but still unsettling to see numbers double overnight 5 days in a row. Like many areas the first cases showed up in the community nursing home. The deaths are also in said nursing home. Shoot for that matter some 80% have been in nursing homes. Community spreads have largely been contained to families. Even in the inner city as folks are doing what is reccomended.

At the grocery store it looks like folks have grown tired of spagetti and frozen pizza. The canned soups too. The canned tuna, and typically other easy to find items were gone yesterday. Many are wearing masks but not the majority. What was a plethora of individualized masks are now generic light blue dental masks. The kind you can easily blow out a match through. Eh, if it makes folks more at ease I'm all for it.

There were zero frantic shoppers in the grocery store yesterday. The one guy with enough beer to last most the rest of the summer but looking at the guy he'll probably be buying more before the week is done. If beer stops corona he'll be fine. He mumbled something about "corona balona" when asked "why so much beer friend".ÖÖ

My governor announced he just got a large shipment of tests from China and will soon be partnering with private labs. Our state is one of those Dr Fauchi spoke of about under utilizing laboratory capacity. Not saying that to be critical, since they were behind the curve on acquiring tests, they did not need a bunch of labs. But the re-open plan hinges on tests, tests, tests. He indicated he hopes to be at 10k per day able by May1.

Prisons are being hit hard. I suppose that is the case everywhere. Hospital staff are being furloughed in the larger communities. What is called congregate settings is where the over whelming majority of cases are and not wide spread in communities thanks to folks self isolating early on. I'd like to see some places be allowed to reopen. Places like golf pro shops, dress shops and out door fruit stands. But to be honest I cannot say I would be inclined to shop at those places just yet. At least for another few weeks in my community.

The recovery numbers are exploding way faster than cases in some places. Other places father time has not had enough ticks to show that kind of progress. In my community for example, the cases are new so it'll be a few weeks for those numbers to even appear at all. But they will. Meanwhile allergy medicine continues to fly off store shelves as folks who normally power through pollen season want to ensure it's just allergies and not "uh oh"ÖÖÖ
    John 3:16

In more East Coast news, the USNS Comfort is offloading the last if it's patients and preparing to leave New York.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

I did my senior hour shopping this morning, in NE New Jersey.
    Fresh fruits and vegetables were a plenty, but no eggplant! I want to make some Eggplant Rollatini and some pickled eggplant in garlic and olive oil.

Pasta was back, but no three pound packages of skinless boneless chicken breasts, they'll be back.
    Frozen pizza was very limited. Maybe a dozen of them, where the cases would hold, I estimate 200.
    Unfortunately for me, that was my mission of the day, to get California Pizza Kitchen Pizza for my autistic grandson. There was none.
    Fortunately he is highly functional, but has some eating issues.

There was very little in the way of paper goods, a few small packages of TP (I left them because we are not desperate) I did take a 4 pack of paper towels.

There was a fair amount of beef, steaks, and roasts. There was some one pound packages of chopped beef, but there were more 5 and 10 pound vacuum sealed 80% chopped beef, packages. Probably packaged for the restaurant trade.

@ $3.99 a pound, at least they weren't price gouging.

Last edited by Poppy; 04-27-2020 at 08:36 AM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Senior hour is from 6:00 AM to 7:30 AM.
    So I was out early.
    I brought the food home, wiped down the cold stuff with disinfectant before putting it away, and then continued on my mission to Target, which online stated it had limited stock of the precious California Pizza Kitchen, pizza. I thought they opened at 7:00 AM and got there a few minutes early, only to find that they open at 8:00.

I went to the Home Depot and picked up some copper fittings and 1/2 pipe to teach my grandson how to sweat fittings for a plumbing merit badge he is working on.

When I came back this is what I saw.

There was still 30 minutes to go, and they were standing in the rain!

Tomorrow is another day, and the weather will be DRY!

Good news on the comfort. Woohoo!!

Yeah, the restaraunt and cruise ship suppliers had to pivot greatly. I suppose some of the bulk packaging shows up in grocery stores by now. I heard they had gone to home delivery in some places but had not seen it where I am.

Good news for our community is no new cases in 48 hours. Unfortunatly one more was plucked in the big lottery in the sky though. All who've perished were in the same nursing home. I really feel bad for the families because they are not even allowed to visit those facilities, much less bid a farewell.

Unfortunately the majority who go on a ventilator do not survive, so if you get to that point, itís almost irrelevant whether you get one or not. So give them to whoever you want, but recognize that many are for lack of a better term, ďwastedĒ. This does not mean I donít care about those people or want them to die, itís just the sucky truth.

Here is something I would like to research as I donít know a ton about vaccines... if it turns out that recovery from this disease does not impart immunity (so far no hard evidence that it does), how does a vaccine even work for it? Or does it even work? Isnít the point of the vaccine to give you weakened forms of the virus so your body can develop antibodies to fight the real thing? If you donít develop an effective immune response from having the disease and successfully fighting it off, does a vaccine work any different?

If a vaccine will not prove to be effective, then we are waiting around for nothing. If recovering from the disease does not impart immunity then after all this mess we will come out of it in a situation where everyone could just get it again and where the only people now safe from COVID19 are the ones who died from it. That would really be the cherry on top.

So, I need to do some reading to understand that better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Unfortunately the majority who go on a ventilator do not survive, so if you get to that point, itís almost irrelevant whether you get one or not. So give them to whoever you want, but recognize that many are for lack of a better term, ďwastedĒ. This does not mean I donít care about those people or want them to die, itís just the sucky truth.
    Correct, so you would tell the doctor, "Well the ventilator is just a death sentence anyway, so don't bother"? You would want your children to tell the doctor that regarding you?

if it turns out that recovery from this disease does not impart immunity (so far no hard evidence that it does), how does a vaccine even work for it?
    I would wager it's a viral load problem, so that once you're exposed, you are in fact immune to a limited quantity of the virus, but not a strong influx of it, as experienced by doctors and police. Which would mean the shot should work for you, but it won't completely work for the people who would have to try to heal or protect you..

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Correct, so you would tell the doctor, "Well the ventilator is just a death sentence anyway, so don't bother"? You would want your children to tell the doctor that regarding you?

I would wager it's a viral load problem, so that once you're exposed, you are in fact immune to a limited quantity of the virus, but not a strong influx of it, as experienced by doctors and police. Which would mean the shot should work for you, but it won't completely work for the people who would have to try to heal or protect you..
    Bro, I didnít just make that up, Iím just stating what many doctors have stated in interviews. That having unlimited ventilators isnít a panacea. It only saves those who are strong enough to survive, and many are not. Iím not saying they shouldnít ventilate the sick. But early on all the news was that we need warehouses full of ventilators to save lives, and ultimately that isnít the case.

Some say making decisions about healthcare resources is ďplaying GodĒ. But thatís not true. Every time doctors administer medicications or procedures to save lives they are ďplaying GodĒ, and they are saving people from things that would have killed them if they were left to ďnatureĒ. Whether it is appendicitis or a bypass surgery or chemo they are stepping in and saving people that ďnatureĒ would have killed. Maybe we should be thankful for all the thousands of lives they do save instead of tearing them apart for not being able to save everyone. People die; it sucks, man.

Iíve had 15 more years with my grandpa because a great cardiologist fixed his heart, and he has done so well. But 20 years ago grandma had a massive heart attack leaving her without oxygen too long to come back from and she had to be taken off life support when there was no hope left. My dad and his siblings and grandpa made that decision based on the fact that she wasnít coming back. The docs knew what the situation was and they gave the honest truth. Her death wasnít the fault of the paramedics or the ER docs or the ICU staff. They did their best. People die. Pretending everyone can be saved from everything isnít realistic or helpful.

I will try to do some vaccine reading and share anything I find that is relevant or helpful.

<snip>

I will try to do some vaccine reading and share anything I find that is relevant or helpful.
    Please do.

I have always believed that a naturally acquired immunity was better than an artificially acquired immunity (vaccination). I might have been wrong all the while, IDK.

With that said, and the fact that the experts do not know if those with naturally acquired antibodies are immune, I'd like an explanation of how vaccination would do a better job. Is it that they are banking on/hoping that a certain level of immunity exists?, and that they can reproduce it with a vaccine?

Having loved ones know your wishes is invaluable. Having an on-paper health care proxy so there's no misunderstanding of your wishes is priceless. No fighting. No discussion. Maybe some hurt feelings, but it's spelled out so it's minimized. My Mother-in-law went from fully functioning and fine to in a coma and unresponsive within the space of a week, and 13 days after being taken to hospice she was gone. The week of testing showed nothing, she had just lost her mental faculties and "gone to sleep." She never wanted to live like that, didn't want extrordinary measures, just wanted to go. It was tough as hell to watch, some wanted other steps taken, but it was in black and white. It's never too early to get your house in order. My brother-in-law is six months into stage 4 lung cancer as we speak, and won't do the paperwork even after watching what his mother went through. I pray it's quick when it happens or it's going to be ugly.

BigBurly- The solution to minimize deaths was given- Stay the hell at home. Very few people are prepared for that emotionally, financially, or from a logistical standpoint. The number of people ignoring the directives and wandering the grocery stores or the Big Orange improvement store "just to get out of the house" is laughable.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

They won't know until they know Poppy. Remember, this is a new virus. So in labs they can make some things happen in a predictive manner sure. But each human has it's own set of rules going on called DNA so perhaps something everyone has in common can be discovered and that be what is the catalyst for an effective inoculation.

Now for a flu shot to work, it would seem logical that if in order for a person to have a positive impact there already be antibodies there would be a check for those anti bodies done before the shot is administered. But if I'm not mistaken a flu shot is given if you hand them $X without any prior tests for anything. Swab arm with alcohol soaked cotton ball, stab in needle, push plunger, done. Does that process just suppose the person has antibodies? Is there a Kinder/gentler shot for those with none and a deluxe model for those with antibodies? I dunno. Not trying to be snarky. Just curious.

I work with folks who speak of a time when the US government required adults to be vacinated for flu. They said it was Ford was in the White House. They told of how it killed a whole bunch of people, like as many as non vacinated folks. There is not much written about that as I look around. I just presume Uncle Sam deems that as not one of his finer moments so like crazy uncle Fred lets just not talk about that. I was able to read it was a version of the Spanish flu that comes back around every few decades in a form that wipes out a lot of people.

So as long as mother nature allows viruses to change enough to get past human immunity (ie keep finding new hosts) the world will always be caught flat footed from time to time. This is just another one of those times only this one is the worst one in a century.

That having unlimited ventilators isnít a panacea. It only saves those who are strong enough to survive, and many are not. Iím not saying they shouldnít ventilate the sick.
    Ventilators arenít working nearly as well as experts predicted. Growing number of medical opinions suggest COVID-19 patients should avoid ventilation for increased survival rates. That a CPAP machine or simple breathing mask is better. Perhaps we were oversold on ventilators. Not suggesting it was purposeful Or avoidable. You learn by doing.
    ďExpertsĒ are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

My county was on the national news as a covid 19 hot spot. These rednecks down here are going to kill us all there all playing some kind of lotto machine shoulder to shouder no mask. I ran out of food today and im afraid to go to store to get more
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    My county was on the national news as a covid 19 hot spot. These rednecks down here are going to kill us all there all playing some kind of lotto machine shoulder to shouder no mask. I ran out of food today and im afraid to go to store to get more
    Don't forget grocery delivery/ Instacart, and ordering groceries through the mail from the box stores and online places. There are no lines for the prepared; I went to the grocery store once this month to get my kid a birthday cake..

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    Some stores have curbside pickup you can call and tell them everything you want and they will deliver it to you near your car. Not sure about how you pay for it probably credit card or something have to check that part out.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Well put KB. Exactly my point. By the 1:30 mark I thought I had a fever.

My boss Lynx is on a giant bridge project with hundreds of workers outdoors welding, pouring concrete etc was shut down because an office dweller who never went out to the site tested positive. Three days of investigation led them to reopen the project after it was determined the guy had not come in contact with workers in the field. Now my boss goes in and out of the same office as covid-boy so she was sent home for 14 days.

Apparently covid-boy showed up 3 days in a row with a fever. It seems once he is over the illness he may lose his job for continuing to work knowing he was sick. We fill out a form everyday stating we are fit for duty and required to stay home and get tested if we have the top 3 symptoms of fever, unusual cough and trouble breathing. It seems he had all three and was so ill someone told him to "gethehell outta here". Knucklehead.

Substantial evidence exists for the effectiveness of humor as a coping mechanism. Studies involving combat veterans (Hendin & Haas, 1984), cancer patients (Carver, 1993), and surgical patients (Culver et al., 2002) have found that when humor is used to reduce the threatening nature of stressful situations, it is associated with resilience and the capacity to tolerate stress (Martin, 2003).

From: How To Be Resilient: 5 Secrets To Mental Toughness (Pandemic Edition)

https://www.bakadesuyo.com/2020/04/be-resilient/

Also from the fellow who puts out "Barking Up The Wrong Tree" (OVER 300,000 people are on his email list) {attempt at humor}

A Special Forces Officer Teaches You 5 Secrets To Overcoming Adversity

https://www.bakadesuyo.com/2015/03/o...ing-adversity/
    Last edited by KITROBASKIN; 05-13-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Well put KB. Exactly my point. By the 1:30 mark I thought I had a fever.

My boss Lynx is on a giant bridge project with hundreds of workers outdoors welding, pouring concrete etc was shut down because an office dweller who never went out to the site tested positive. Three days of investigation led them to reopen the project after it was determined the guy had not come in contact with workers in the field. Now my boss goes in and out of the same office as covid-boy so she was sent home for 14 days.

Apparently covid-boy showed up 3 days in a row with a fever. It seems once he is over the illness he may lose his job for continuing to work knowing he was sick. We fill out a form everyday stating we are fit for duty and required to stay home and get tested if we have the top 3 symptoms of fever, unusual cough and trouble breathing. It seems he had all three and was so ill someone told him to "gethehell outta here". Knucklehead.
    I was told about a job site where someone lied about having the virus and it was shut down for 2 weeks. I had to tell people I didn't have the virus when we got the jobsite "speech" and I was dealing with allergies having me cough some but a large supply of hard candy and cough drops fixed that for the most part. I'm still taking my temp every day and it hasn't been but normal since this all started.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Ultimately though, weíre just nerds on a flashlight forum, so despite all our chattering and speculation and ideas and questions, we can only really affect a fairly small bubble. And the government, and hospitals and doctors will make decisions, and we will just have to work with it.

Like Forrest Gump says, ďAnd thatís all I have to say about that.Ē He was pretty wise, that Forrest. Not much for book learniní, but pretty wise.

Banned

Her death wasnít the fault of the paramedics or the ER docs or the ICU staff. They did their best. People die. Pretending everyone can be saved from everything isnít realistic or helpful.

hospitals and doctors will make decisions, and we will just have to work with it.
    That's not what we're talking about though, what's on the table is maintaining the vitality of the people via passive extermination for the benefit of business interests. Specifically enabling hospital staff to not do their best, to accept a projected number of casualties of lesser peoples as inevitable and forge ahead to open the way for the strong.

Of course no one here is volunteering. "Weak" in this instance means "those other weak people," we're positing from an exalted position where our kind comes out on top and the losses occur to nearly-alien extraneous groups who just going by the numbers would have soon died anyway. No early adopters here for recommended experimental drugs or therapies, but of course it's crucial that there should be many other people who try these things, very important..

I can only go from my experience with my dad who was placed on a ventalator for an issue unrelated. It was in about 2009 or so. But the folks in ICU said most do not usually survive because the machine is so dam good at what it does that the body of the person using it forgets how to. They slowly took it away from him, whatever that means. All I know is at 10am they told Mrs Fixer and I to leave the room and come back at 2:30. That they would know one way or the other by then.

At 10am that day a machine was keeping him alive. The doctor said it was a 50/50 chance. At supper time he was out of his coma and asking how long he had been asleep. It had been about a week. Prior to them putting him on the ventalator one night he was gasping for air and and telling me to go home, get his 357, come back and as he put it "put me down". As he was being knocked out via IV he was doing the pistol to the temple motion with his hand. He was pissed off that nobody would "put him down". Thank the stars he did not remember that when he woke because otherwise I might not be around to type this. lol.

He had been medivac'd to a hospital. Mrs Fixer drove my dad's van there and I followed the chopper as it flew along the interstate. That was pretty cool, but not because my pop was in dire straights from a bonk on the melon. Later on when he was settled in a room in ICU I sent Mrs Fixer home for the evening. What happened next forever changed me. My pop was bleeding on the brain and his blood thinner was causing it not to stop. He was on a fixed amount of liquid regiment due to a heart condition. They had to exceed that by several fold to thicken his blood. I asked what does that entail. The young doctor in training said "we have to drown him, to save him". Oh that's all. I will never forget what happened during the next few hours.

So for me, if I were in the situation my dad was in I cannot honestly say I would not want to be "put down" like he did. I never talked to him about it, just in case he would have shot me for not respecting his wishes. I do not believe Mrs Fixer would have me put out of my misery. But then again one never really knows. Afterall there were all those years I forgot our anniverssary and that one year I forgot her birthday.

Dam this corona virus is sure stirring up some old ghosts.

He passed away in his sleep one Sunday mid morning during his 10 o'clock nap. Complications resulting from "the sniffles" brought on by a head cold.

When we had to unplug my mom she was already gone. Her brain was moosh so she never knew. She just fell asleep after a surgery issue. Like NBP's grandma, lack of O2.
    But my pop knew up until the coma med knocked him out and if that is what it's like with some covid-19 patients, it's a terrible thing. Yet there was no way I was going to "put him down". That's murder in the place called USA regardless of mine or his wishes. Some places allow it. All I could say is it would be up to the individual doing the suffering. Not me, nor some doctor.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-27-2020 at 11:56 PM.

Iím not sure what you are looking for? You want people to come up here on a public hobbyist forum of strangers and say Heck yeah Iíll pull the plug on grandma if it could save someone else! Come on, no one talks like that. But they may in their heart know that if grandma gets sick her odds are not good. I have grandparents in that situation. They are doing fairly well, but I am realistic in my understanding that a serious case of pneumonia could take them.

And I ask again, how are people supposed to die? Iíve watched plenty of older friends die slowly, painfully, expensively over the course of years of cancer, ALS, the complications of heart disease, diabetes, strokes, etc. No one can reasonably argue that that is a better way to go than a quick bout of pneumonia. Itís just that quick ends seem more tragic while slow painful deaths allow people time to say goodbye and when they do finally die you are perhaps even relieved as they are no longer in pain. Doctors face a very real challenge in the face of limited resources: expend huge resources to try save the old and sick so they can go back to dying of all they things already wrong with them or expend the resources on those they think have the best odds of a long healthy life. Is there a right answer? NO!!! Thatís why hospitals have entire ethics boards to sit around and come up procedures for that and they are constantly changing. You can easily argue either side of it and if youíre reasonable you can see valid points on both sides. I donít have the answers but I can see and understand both sides.

In any case, I guess we donít really know how anyone here would respond in a given situation until they are in it. You and I donít know exactly how we will react to a certain circumstance until we are in it either. We think we know, but we often donít know what we are really made of until the rubber hits the road.

Banned

Iím not sure what you are looking for?
    I'm looking for someone to say "I would do anything for the survival of my loved ones, I would want others to help my loved ones survive, so I would not harbor a position where others' loved ones were sacrificed."

Is there a right answer? NO!!! Thatís why hospitals have entire ethics boards to sit around and come up procedures for that and they are constantly changing. You can easily argue either side of it and if youíre reasonable you can see valid points on both sides. I donít have the answers but I can see and understand both sides.
    Okay, so maybe I'm out of place. This might be another "many fine people on both sides" issue and I'm just not worldly enough to understand the modern approach to eugenics. I'd like to hear others' opinions on this.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    I'm looking for someone to say "I would do anything for the survival of my loved ones, I would want others to help my loved ones survive, so I would not harbor a position where others' loved ones were sacrificed."

Okay, so maybe I'm out of place. This might be another "many fine people on both sides" issue and I'm just not worldly enough to understand the modern approach to eugenics. I'd like to hear others' opinions on this.
    Ok... my opinion. What you're looking for is very selfish. You want YOUR needs filled before anyone else's so YOU do not feel guilty. Plain and simple.

Does this mean I don't love my loved ones as much as you do? Nope. Just means that I am more realistic as far as "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". And I know my loved ones and what they would want. It's quite interesting how few people actually take the time to talk to their loved ones about these kind of things or really even to get to KNOW them. My parents, my kids, my husband... I know exactly what they want and what they would want me to do. And they know what I want too. And I'm very proud to say that none of us are selfish. Quality over quantity.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Does this mean I don't love my loved ones as much as you do? Nope. Just means that I am more realistic as far as "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". And I know my loved ones and what they would want. It's quite interesting how few people actually take the time to talk to their loved ones about these kind of things or really even to get to KNOW them. My parents, my kids, my husband... I know exactly what they want and what they would want me to do. And they know what I want too. And I'm very proud to say that none of us are selfish. Quality over quantity.
    I do support having your house in order, that's very important to know the wishes of your loved ones if it came to that grim situation. But what Poppy is proposing in post #22 is that it's in question if we should protect others' loved ones; that the criteria for not helping the ill should be if they are ill, so that the well can flourish. Herd immunity to improve the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Shall we do all we can to protect the populace and minimize the deaths?

Let this virus run its course... let the weak die, only the strong survive, we'll have a stronger, more vibrant, population... and we can get back to business.
    Again, he is posing this as a question and not his concrete position, I am echoing that question and asking others to voice their opinion. Should we minimize the deaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    And I know my loved ones and what they would want. It's quite interesting how few people actually take the time to talk to their loved ones about these kind of things or really even to get to KNOW them. My parents, my kids, my husband... I know exactly what they want and what they would want me to do. And they know what I want too. And I'm very proud to say that none of us are selfish. Quality over quantity.
    Well said. I went through this exact process several years ago. When the time came, and my parents were on ventilators there was no doubt in my mind what their wishes were and the hospice care they received was a blessing.

We may soon have a better picture on how the "herd immunity" argument plays out...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/3031536001/

Good grief. Iím so over this. Iíll see you in the Radio thread.

Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast