Jetbeam        
Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 444474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1906

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    I asked this about 1376 posts ago, granted I may be the last man in southwest Virginia/northeast tennessee/eastern Kentucky that wears one and people look at me like Iím an alien.
    As long as you have a "reason" to wear one I've got absolutely no problem with that unless I'm deaf and you are don't know sign language.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    Los Angeles County just closed the beaches for the 4th in response to the wave of new infections.

"L.A. County reports 2,903 new COVID-19 cases, highest number ever since the pandemic hit. Health officials said 1 in 140 people infected with the virus are ďwalking around not knowing they are infected,Ē a threefold increase from the 1 in 400 projection given just last week."

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a...hit-officials/
    They canceled the 4th of July fireworks display here and Octoberfest also due to virus concerns...... there will be more shutdowns and cancellations to keep those numbers looking good for the guys in charge.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

If thereís one thing Iíve learned during this pandemic, itís that the USA appears to be extraordinarily hard to govern. I canít imagine trying to preside over a large population that wants a government that provides all the protections and safeguards and quick sweeping action of a large authoritarian government while still maintaining a high level of personal freedom. Look around; thatís not how it works. High personal autonomy = high personal responsibility. High govt. control/safety/protection/intervention = low personal autonomy. Itís not necessarily that one is always better than the other, but you have to pick. You canít really have both. If you want someone to take care of you and solve your problems, they will ask something back.

ďIf youíre good at something, never do it for free.Ē - The Joker

John 3:16

Flashaholic*

Default Coronavirus - II

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    As long as you have a "reason" to wear one I've got absolutely no problem with that unless I'm deaf and you are don't know sign language.
    My dad as well as most of the older men in my community has black lung and my wife is a FNP that sees at least 20 patients a day. I hope that meets your standards.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    If thereís one thing Iíve learned during this pandemic, itís that the USA appears to be extraordinarily hard to govern. I canít imagine trying to preside over a large population that wants a government that provides all the protections and safeguards and quick sweeping action of a large authoritarian government while still maintaining a high level of personal freedom. Look around; thatís not how it works. High personal autonomy = high personal responsibility. High govt. control/safety/protection/intervention = low personal autonomy. Itís not necessarily that one is always better than the other, but you have to pick. You canít really have both. If you want someone to take care of you and solve your problems, they will ask something back.

ďIf youíre good at something, never do it for free.Ē - The Joker

People forget that the USA is the united STATES of america. That's 50 governors, state governments, state boards of health, etc.

In addition, there's a huge movement to not trust experts, and not just in the US. I'm reading 'the death of expertise' currently... fascinating and unsettling.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

The great experiment called America was once largely made up of self sufficient people who just wanted to have the chance to prosper in their own way and be left alone to do so. I call it the pre Tom Horne era. A time when 3 meals a day was a blessing for a majority. Post Tom Horne things changed due to the Industrial age. The cross country rail system played a big role. So did imigration to cities instead of farms.

After the Great Depression came government assistance. And that's where the we now face began to really change things. The Spanish flu hit shortly after the Tom Horne era and big cities were hit hard, just like with this pandemic. But during the Spanish flu word of mouth was the communication channel. That and newspapers. When radio came along that increased communication amongst the people. And much like today, face coverings was a contreversial subject. Only back then a huge percentage of the so called smart people were against them. Doctors, lawyers, judges etc were aligned against the use of face coverings. Especially in enlightened communities like San Fransico where freedom was paramount. East Coasters wore them faithfully so the populice there were largely spared round 3 of the Spanish flu while San Fransisco was hit like an atomic bomb due to a large influx of imigrants escaping oppressive governments and a general sense that masks were stupid.

Today we know better. But freedom is still much on the minds of plenty of Americans. Many of who refuse to be corraled by government leaders. Especially the "do as I say not as I do" type. I'm in that camp. But I also know the practical applications regarding face coverings so I wear mine at times to (voluntarily) play a part in reducing the spread knowing it's like trying to grab wind. If someone gives me the stink eye at a check out counter for wearing one, so be it. If someone gives me the stink for not wearing one when I'm 25' from others, again so be it.

Am I going to wear one from my house to my car? Nope. Am I going to when I'm near people not in my small circle? Yup.

BTW, Tom Horne was a cowboy who played a large role in taming the west for wealthy city dwellers to hang him later for doing the job they hired him to do. One of Steve McQueens last movies was called Tom Horne. A great story of a time when America began to change to what it is today.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 06-30-2020 at 06:44 AM.

My dad as well as most of the older men in my community has black lung and my wife is a FNP that sees at least 20 patients a day. I hope that meets your standards.
    My standards are very low, and include things like "I'm afraid of getting it" or "I think it is a good idea". The only excuse that kind of fails for me is "everybody is doing it" as I don't think we should play lemmings on anything blindly if you do anything do it because you "think" first not because of peer pressure.

Flashaholic*

Caught wind today that another swine type flu is spreading in Asia.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Caught wind today that another swine type flu is spreading in Asia.
    So if that's breaking news, can we just say you 'broke wind' today?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    So if that's breaking news, can we just say you 'broke wind' today?
    Sure. Just google new swine flu in Asia has pandemic possibility and choose whichever fake news outlet you enjoy the most. Thatís what I just did and apparently itís been going on for a few days.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Sure. Just google new swine flu in Asia has pandemic possibility and choose whichever fake news outlet you enjoy the most. Thatís what I just did and apparently itís been going on for a few days.
    Sooner or later it will sneak over here and go on a second rampage. Hopefully it won't be as contagious and deadly as this Covid 19 thing.

Taiwan has had the most amazing response by far.
    Another nation doing a great job. Sadly, those nations that are; clearly the exception to the rule. I love Taiwan's national mask policy. Each citizen gets an allotment of 3 surgical masks per week. Some citizens buy one cotton face mask cover for inserting a surgical mask into it. Thus ever so slightly increasing the longevity of each surgical mask. And, the government keeps very strict tabs on the allotment. Has worked exceptionally well. Too bad the WHO is busy not recognizing Taiwan as an independent nation, due to political reasons.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Another nation doing a great job. Sadly, those nations that are; clearly the exception to the rule. I love Taiwan's national mask policy. Each citizen gets an allotment of 3 surgical masks per week. Some citizens buy one cotton face mask cover for inserting a surgical mask into it. Thus ever so slightly increasing the longevity of each surgical mask. And, the government keeps very strict tabs on the allotment. Has worked exceptionally well. Too bad the WHO is busy not recognizing Taiwan as an independent nation, due to political reasons.
    If the mask thing has worked so well what happened to China? They wore masks before this pandemic started. Iíve not heard anyone mention that.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Personally I think the distancing may do a better job than masks do that is probably why countries that shut down completely quarantining people to their homes have a better record than those who don't and mask up with large populations in small areas.
    Also there is not enough surgical (N95?) masks to accommodate our population here almost all of them are allocated to medical personnel.
    I think there is too much opinion and not enough factual and statistical info on the effectiveness of masks with and without social distancing that can be trusted. It may be masks are better than nothing especially when closer than 6' but when you get farther from 6' masks become statistically unneeded for all but people who do have symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    yeah im jokeing i have a cheap dispoable mask i just reuse it. i assume long as im the only one wearing it i should be fine. only draw back of my mask is if i breath hard from walking or running the mask moves with my breathing
    A whole heck of a lot of trial and error on my part (and wasted money) has caused me to realize that the best non-commercially made masks have two features which are a MUST.

1 - Nose-wire (or Nose-bridge). You can adjust it to keep a mask from sliding around on your face. Great for when you're active or just talking to someone. Really helps to get that proper fit on a person's individual face. Also, without it, every time a person exhales through their nose; that carbon dioxide hits them right in the eyes because there's no nose-wire to block the flow. That's why glasses fog up all the time. Not an issue for me. But a good friend of mine is legally blind without his glasses. Can't be having them fogging up on him all the time.

2 - Filter pocket. And have plenty of good filters on hand. Such as a PM2.5 disposable filter. Easiest way to make a pocket, two layers of fabric with an opening at one or both ends of the mask. Fabric doesn't even need to be thick. I have a few masks where each layer is literally see-through! Sandwich a good filter in between them, and you get a surprisingly comfortable mask to wear during the Summer months. An incredibly thin mask is fine, just as long as there's a filter in there.

I'm done buying masks that don't have those two features.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

1 - Nose-wire (or Nose-bridge). You can adjust it to keep a mask from sliding around on your face. Great for when you're active or just talking to someone. Really helps to get that proper fit on a person's individual face. Also, without it, every time a person exhales through their nose; that carbon dioxide hits them right in the eyes because there's no nose-wire to block the flow. That's why glasses fog up all the time. Not an issue for me. But a good friend of mine is legally blind without his glasses. Can't be having them fogging up on him all the time.
    How I wish this were the case. Alas, nose bridge or no all the masks I've tried fog glasses like that's their design purpose and all the workarounds I've come across are seem like they're devised by people that don't actually wear glasses, are unnaturally fastidious, or have all the time in the world to endlessly futz with things.

I just need something that's don-and-go that doesn't fog glasses. If my employer ends WFH and I've got to wear a mask all day, the solution is probably going to be one of those soft half-face respirators with those dreaded exhale valves because I am not going to subject myself to ineffectual burdensome workarounds for 9-10 hours a day.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

If the mask thing has worked so well what happened to China? They wore masks before this pandemic started. Iíve not heard anyone mention that.
    I'll mention it. You're right. The problem is, you can't just wear masks and ignore other measures. You've got to put them all together. For example, you can forget about social distancing in China's highly populated and very cramped cities where most of the jobs are. Apartment space is at a premium. Many landlords convert rooms meant for one person into those that house as many as four or more. Thus charging what is considered by many of those workers in the cities, to be; well.... not too obscene rent rates. When you have people packed in literally like sardines in a can, one infected person can easily infect an entire building's worth of residents.

Hong Kong by far being the absolute worst example of this type of housing. Here's a video that illustrates exactly what I mean:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr9XRmWNpfw
    Last edited by Monocrom; 06-30-2020 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Typo.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I think there is too much opinion and not enough factual and statistical info
    You win the internet for the day sir.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    How I wish this were the case. Alas, nose bridge or no all the masks I've tried fog glasses like that's their design purpose and all the workarounds I've come across are seem like they're devised by people that don't actually wear glasses, are unnaturally fastidious, or have all the time in the world to endlessly futz with things.

I just need something that's don-and-go that doesn't fog glasses. If my employer ends WFH and I've got to wear a mask all day, the solution is probably going to be one of those soft half-face respirators with those dreaded exhale valves because I am not going to subject myself to ineffectual burdensome workarounds for 9-10 hours a day.

Sorry, should have mentioned that there's different types of nose-wires. Unfortunately, you usually find out which one was built into a mask after buying it. Some are actual, thin little copper or brass wires that need a long time to adjust and sometimes even then you get fogging. Some seamstresses though use thicker and wider wires. The kind you get on an N95 or KN95 mask. Those work much better. Takes about literally 2 seconds to adjust. Instead of 30 seconds to a minute. But there's also everything in between those two extremes.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 06-30-2020 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Clarification.

Sorry, should have mentioned that there's different types of nose-wires. Unfortunately, you usually find out which one was built into a mask after buying it. Some are actual, thin little wires copper or brass wires that need a long time to adjust and sometimes even then you get fogging. Some seamstresses though use thicker and wider wires. The kind you get on an N95 or KN95 mask. Those work much better. Take about literally 2 seconds to adjust. instead of 30 seconds to a minute. But there's also everything in between those two extremes.
    Got some mass-produced KN95s with the metal strip - doesn't do jack for me.
    Last edited by idleprocess; 06-30-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    Got some mass-produced K95s with the metal strip - doesn't do jack for me.
    Sorry to hear that. I used to have one N95 when the virus hit here. Nose-wire on it worked well to keep my sunglasses from fogging up. Recently got in a handful of FFP2 masks from Europe. (94% effective compared to 95% for N95s.) The ones I got in look like N95 clones. Also good at preventing fogging. Unfortunately that seller seems to be currently out of stock. And yes, those FFP2s were obscenely expensive.

this is pretty scary if you ask me https://www.wbtv.com/2020/06/29/demo...iveness-masks/
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Tired of the ordinary mask

Here's some ideasÖ
    https://www.demilked.com/funny-coronavirus-diy-masks/

Finally broke down and went to get my nails done today. I made the appt. last week so had no idea what yesterday was going to bring to our world. Well... as of last night, 8PM, all of our bars that are not 60/40 food/alcohol had to shut down. So... out of the cigar bar AGAIN for a minimum of 30 days. Mind you my city had ZERO new covid cases the day before. But because a city 200 miles away is exploding, well... here we are. So back to my nail appt... I have a couple of those stocking type masks for when we go out cruising in the slingshot in dusty or inclement weather so grabbed one just in case. It wasn't needed. The salon had been completely outfitted with Plexiglas at all stations and the employees all wore masks. I was told if I didn't feel comfortable wearing one, it was perfectly ok. Got my nails did, chatted with the nail tech, a pleasant time was had by all. Then I went to the grocery store next door. Still didn't pull up my mask from around my neck... probably 75/25 in the store NOT wearing masks. Everyone was pleasant, seemed content, loved seeing smiles instead of desperate eyes above uncomfortable, ill-fitting, incorrectly-worn masks. Then I came across a table in an aisle full of all kinds of masks - 10 packs of surgical masks, cloth masks for adults and children - all in sterile sealed packets. I grabbed a couple just because. When I got home, I discovered online that two of the major cities in my county will be going to mandatory masks for all customers and employees starting at 1AM tomorrow morning. I'm waiting now for the announcement to come out for my town. I'm glad I picked up those masks... but honestly doubt I will be using them. I'm just going to stay home... and be very very sad that this is where we are... and me with a brand new set of beautiful nails...

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Tired of the ordinary mask

Here's some ideasÖ
    https://www.demilked.com/funny-coronavirus-diy-masks/
    14 is the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    ...When I got home, I discovered online that two of the major cities in my county will be going to mandatory masks for all customers and employees starting at 1AM tomorrow morning. I'm waiting now for the announcement to come out for my town. I'm glad I picked up those masks...
    Good thing you got some. I think masks are going to become mandatory nationwide eventually. Reminder that we are _maybe_ 25% through this thing, and then schools start back in ~5 weeks.

I took some of the 100k masks that my customer got and am dying/coloring them this evening so it won't look like I'm wearing underwear on my head. They are the best fitting, most comfortable ones I've seen. Guess if hanes can make clothing that fits bulges, nooks, and crannies then a simple facemask is easy for them.

I guess my thing is that wearing a mask is to make those around you feel better... while you feel worse - sweating like a pig, breathing in your own CO2... more like gasping it!, anxiety going through the roof, glasses fogging up - but hey! If it makes everyone else FEEL better... suck it up, right? Sorry... not sorry. I'm just not into sadomasochism.

edited my post just in case it is not allowed
    Last edited by raggie33; 06-30-2020 at 04:10 PM.
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Good thing you got some. I think masks are going to become mandatory nationwide eventually. Reminder that we are _maybe_ 25% through this thing, and then schools start back in ~5 weeks.

I took some of the 100k masks that my customer got and am dying/coloring them this evening so it won't look like I'm wearing underwear on my head. They are the best fitting, most comfortable ones I've seen. Guess if hanes can make clothing that fits bulges, nooks, and crannies then a simple facemask is easy for them.
    I don't get it how they think opening schools is going to be ok.

50 people at a party starts the spread, 50-100 people at a bar and there are alarms going off.

Many High Schools have over 1,000 students.

Grammar schools, 400 to 1000 students, in a single building.

Anyone who thinks that is not going to be a problem is kidding himself.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 444474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast