Coronavirus - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So today the US may crack gold record status. The 1 million mark.

Scientists are ceaselessy searching for ways to stop it. Big pharma is searching for a pill to treat it and the wheels on the bus go round and round.

My community has been deemed an out break area. We were the last in the area and being surrounded by out breaks it was just a matter of time. Nothing on the scale of a Detroit or Philly, but still unsettling to see numbers double overnight 5 days in a row. Like many areas the first cases showed up in the community nursing home. The deaths are also in said nursing home. Shoot for that matter some 80% have been in nursing homes. Community spreads have largely been contained to families. Even in the inner city as folks are doing what is reccomended.

At the grocery store it looks like folks have grown tired of spagetti and frozen pizza. The canned soups too. The canned tuna, and typically other easy to find items were gone yesterday. Many are wearing masks but not the majority. What was a plethora of individualized masks are now generic light blue dental masks. The kind you can easily blow out a match through. Eh, if it makes folks more at ease I'm all for it.

There were zero frantic shoppers in the grocery store yesterday. The one guy with enough beer to last most the rest of the summer but looking at the guy he'll probably be buying more before the week is done. If beer stops corona he'll be fine. He mumbled something about "corona balona" when asked "why so much beer friend".……

My governor announced he just got a large shipment of tests from China and will soon be partnering with private labs. Our state is one of those Dr Fauchi spoke of about under utilizing laboratory capacity. Not saying that to be critical, since they were behind the curve on acquiring tests, they did not need a bunch of labs. But the re-open plan hinges on tests, tests, tests. He indicated he hopes to be at 10k per day able by May1.

Prisons are being hit hard. I suppose that is the case everywhere. Hospital staff are being furloughed in the larger communities. What is called congregate settings is where the over whelming majority of cases are and not wide spread in communities thanks to folks self isolating early on. I'd like to see some places be allowed to reopen. Places like golf pro shops, dress shops and out door fruit stands. But to be honest I cannot say I would be inclined to shop at those places just yet. At least for another few weeks in my community.

The recovery numbers are exploding way faster than cases in some places. Other places father time has not had enough ticks to show that kind of progress. In my community for example, the cases are new so it'll be a few weeks for those numbers to even appear at all. But they will. Meanwhile allergy medicine continues to fly off store shelves as folks who normally power through pollen season want to ensure it's just allergies and not "uh oh"………

scout24

Flashaholic
In more East Coast news, the USNS Comfort is offloading the last if it's patients and preparing to leave New York.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I did my senior hour shopping this morning, in NE New Jersey.
Fresh fruits and vegetables were a plenty, but no eggplant! I want to make some Eggplant Rollatini and some pickled eggplant in garlic and olive oil.

Pasta was back, but no three pound packages of skinless boneless chicken breasts, they'll be back.
Frozen pizza was very limited. Maybe a dozen of them, where the cases would hold, I estimate 200.
Unfortunately for me, that was my mission of the day, to get California Pizza Kitchen Pizza for my autistic grandson. There was none.
Fortunately he is highly functional, but has some eating issues.

There was very little in the way of paper goods, a few small packages of TP (I left them because we are not desperate) I did take a 4 pack of paper towels.

There was a fair amount of beef, steaks, and roasts. There was some one pound packages of chopped beef, but there were more 5 and 10 pound vacuum sealed 80% chopped beef, packages. Probably packaged for the restaurant trade.

@ $3.99 a pound, at least they weren't price gouging.

n4r6TnF3Lpms02pbsFYFGWzM62ZZWNd8t2qFVQKd2ErMSDccldjxsNraCRZ8XhZet9FF_d-YGawbgWCTA7HwSjImnTpjZqGKKsZJIOCXBmjJxyGUT-a4Q6iAJxB29hkpM9ja4MOCfGQKeM8b2YQEhVsaci2_nbilpws13_wAhr6bLuoRuXC0EwruV28V4fxW_82WDXoYeSKpvRut9IASuAueLrATtMN-6_NJTZLgF4eOvTDyqkG_guL3pgHF0N8Q0JILbtLXHHDJi_ZLHvC1vpktOnxe2l7SAmkrXfi_EUSEfjUXE0EsXyLBhZqd2S-4k6FrPNn5Iz_Lz0mWwYbhN57eFnt3vFH2tDx0ieMPSNRDNHovAW8mzpMSeJ3OCretlAFnPHsmcn6f3IwoiZ1zUugSncVKsxCKYv05KYwVO9QSlN3YE6H9gEdqeNMdz1A_8ScIWhvUwMnB2Cl8KBNeiwYo9bsPo6UJpODQ_wTfZB7Iy-5vHw-msa7ixXstO4mbcf88hKE-0qbGAWwH5CJ1XxkiIqaPrTKfL9ZTFZf67YO3E38Xz2HBQwdV5nrftbitGI3qQjbIJAtzhyDMVTQ3oAcFunEf3ktZ_osjEZbm2WK1z1_aOwompFhbQFs5E7QO5UQ5axFlTTww0hMLtriwZoC1xJeSujBMkP3KeMoAPhwytO1QxqyxjYE_vSkpAg=w568-h757-no

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Senior hour is from 6:00 AM to 7:30 AM.
So I was out early.
I brought the food home, wiped down the cold stuff with disinfectant before putting it away, and then continued on my mission to Target, which online stated it had limited stock of the precious California Pizza Kitchen, pizza. I thought they opened at 7:00 AM and got there a few minutes early, only to find that they open at 8:00.

I went to the Home Depot and picked up some copper fittings and 1/2 pipe to teach my grandson how to sweat fittings for a plumbing merit badge he is working on.

When I came back this is what I saw.

upjWRRrSVw3nMoEwIJvmj3D5tN3eG87osCu_bsC8vy0J9aJS6BLPgN86FvpHiwsiOPgi-eVUH3BgrtJMh5MdkpKlAzSAJI1se8aTYmMIGFBwRSHa7hEk5PmgbNq9c4wDFdfgbeoM4xqQ-tRF0N65rDXCpSoDwVn6nXXYKskDKdmM801IXR66508-pImBMxtWEVE96wboOeEIojwF8P-XvLmRCv9bbJnuTlANWqeux9NbHoO28l3L06N9t5bqpiduMS9_da1grsLUObcknZud72l3SljD7CwVU-3Xw041LL-Wzs5YXNWvyvZdihCpzRuIUvPK8wtK92C5O8a-FBI-YY3JtVsg5aiF7Z_V1rSg_e_SmJQibhhvOh9xG8N3TZxBF0hDhHE-BxKvodUaz8WtpoW-J1HK9gUkOU9ObkZ0a0SCxU75qqHqqJZ4CKsGjRgp1fLWk3BxuuWLaqzKkq5N9y-uheayiTZ57vJSjIQ2laVg2OvAl582I6ZkWiEIJC5a1y_rt_6R4lVcOQYF3S5in_ZJw_pfQKX-1IbY4HvYQfT787csJYA2qvcRIrD527dlFt2V4-Zona3nPfwfAz-whZLWOLnvhlTnYXFdYz8GmNIR4s2qp1A-s2R05wskYulV_CvmXHet5o3CjrRWqdinPQfFvioobRx_FGKO-6cHh-KdPnJmBtJedSEDfaA8Aw=w1600-h620-no

There was still 30 minutes to go, and they were standing in the rain!

Tomorrow is another day, and the weather will be DRY!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good news on the comfort. Woohoo!!

Yeah, the restaraunt and cruise ship suppliers had to pivot greatly. I suppose some of the bulk packaging shows up in grocery stores by now. I heard they had gone to home delivery in some places but had not seen it where I am.

Good news for our community is no new cases in 48 hours. Unfortunatly one more was plucked in the big lottery in the sky though. All who've perished were in the same nursing home. I really feel bad for the families because they are not even allowed to visit those facilities, much less bid a farewell.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Good news on the comfort. Woohoo!!

Yeah, the restaraunt and cruise ship suppliers had to pivot greatly. I suppose some of the bulk packaging shows up in grocery stores by now. I heard they had gone to home delivery in some places but had not seen it where I am.

Good news for our community is no new cases in 48 hours. Unfortunatly one more was plucked in the big lottery in the sky though. All who've perished were in the same nursing home. I really feel bad for the families because they are not even allowed to visit those facilities, much less bid a farewell.
Was there anything said about using the comfort in VA?
I'm just wondering if those beds will be needed. I hope not.

On my way back from Target this morning, I passed by a Senior Village that is large enough that it has assisted living, and nursing home accommodations. There was a line of cars at the front gate. I have never seen that before. I wonder if it is concerned family members pulling their parents out of there before its too late. I haven't been following the news too closely, but I think that the curves are generally headed downward, but the nursing home deaths are on the rise, if not actually on the rise, just too high a percentage.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Poppy, I do not anticipate a call for the Comfort here since the capacity of hospitals far exceed cases. Perhaps if it is called upon it would be in a location where MD DC and VA could share it.

2-D4-FC0-CF-53-CD-4-AF3-A2-CA-87-CFD3269-EA5.jpg

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
John H. Tyson of Tyson Foods issued a warning in an open letter published in a full page ad in the New York Times, Washington Post, and Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. The warning was "The food supply chain is breaking". Apparently, enough food processing plants are closed due to corona virus that the animals are getting killed off or depopulated because they are running out of places to sell them off. This could be a real problem coming up. It's one thing to have a backlog of animals to slaughter once things get back to normal. It's a much worse situation if we have a shortage of meat animals longer term. Will this require another bailout to pay for animal feed and other running costs for farmers to keep them from killing off these animals in order to keep them in business?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Perhaps a bit of a stretch to call meat production, the 'food supply chain' ? I keep very close track of my diet & food purchases; over the past few years, I've been eating no more than one pound of meat per month; my food supply chain is based on my ample staples of beans, rice, nuts, dried fruit, and many other bulk foods that store (edit: and transport) exceedingly well.

As far as my vegetables go, I have been buying much more cabbage, since I have had a more difficult time getting one my two favorite vegetables, kale.
Have been doing quite well with apples, potatoes, and onions though - they store very well indeed. :)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If there is a bailout it would go to the farmers who have seen demand for their supply drop in some areas. But the overall (meat) supply chain in America is so diverse it won't likely lead to shortages.

Price spikes? Perhaps.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just taken a snapshot of aircraft in the air over the USA!

I was shocked at the number, this may explain why the death rate etc is so high in the USA, I'd assumed that you'd locked down you aviation industry.

49826451546_41a7273305_c.jpg

Taken at 1913 hrs (Central European Time) Monday 27th April 2020.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dave, USA is buying online and air mail has exploded as airlines have gone from people to packages.

Where my wife works their sales have increased like 5x. In other words when they were a store who sold to walk ins they were struggling to make a profit. Once folks started staying at home they have hired extra folks just to assemble "to go" packages that end up on a UPS truck 3 loads a day versus formerly 2x per week.

Some 6 million people unemployed is a huge number. Yet 150 million people are still working. Many from home so they have got spare time galore. That and a bunch of folks are spending those stimulous checks.

However domestic travel is still available here. There just aren't that many people travelling. My company for example has squashed all out of state business regardless of how you get there. My boss lives in one state that butts up to mine. She is not allowed to travel 3 hours to our office right now because she originates out of state.

But where she lives there are zero cases. Where I am we're approaching 1000 so she aint real anxious to come see us right now.

Meanwhile Dr Byrx type scarves are selling faster than face masks and toilet paper here.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've just taken a snapshot of aircraft in the air over the USA!

I was shocked at the number, this may explain why the death rate etc is so high in the USA, I'd assumed that you'd locked down you aviation industry.
Taken at 1913 hrs (Central European Time) Monday 27th April 2020.

I believe that's a fraction of the usual traffic; living rather near one of the major airports in the United States and working from home for going on 8 weeks I've noticed drastically fewer aircraft in the pattern.

While cabin cargo is indeed becoming a thing for airlines starved for revenue, it's not really a substitute for the passengers that airlines are built around. Forbes has a more detailed article on the legalities and specifics of how airlines are approaching the matter.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good read idle.

I suppose one could easily "over weight" an aircraft if not careful. Books, foods and other items have a lot of weight per area ratio. So I wonder how they ensure they evenly distribute weight.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Good read idle.

I suppose one could easily "over weight" an aircraft if not careful. Books, foods and other items have a lot of weight per area ratio. So I wonder how they ensure they evenly distribute weight.

I gather that the job of an aircraft loadmaster involves a great deal more calculations than one imagines of ground crew. Passengers tend to fall within a predictable weight range and distribution thus aren't so much a challenge unlike cargo where one likely cannot arbitrarily pack one end of the aircraft with feather pillows and the other with barbells.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Has anyone seen the two Dr.s from Bakersfield, CA on YouTube? What these Dr.s are saying is shocking about how the response to COVID-19 has been.

Must see.
If you can't post a link, it didn't happen.

Sorry just a thing from the past. L Ron Hubbard... "If it isn't written, it isn't real."

Actually, in response to your post... I did not see what they said.

Status
Not open for further replies.