NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Correct, so you would tell the doctor, "Well the ventilator is just a death sentence anyway, so don't bother"? You would want your children to tell the doctor that regarding you?

I would wager it's a viral load problem, so that once you're exposed, you are in fact immune to a limited quantity of the virus, but not a strong influx of it, as experienced by doctors and police. Which would mean the shot should work for you, but it won't completely work for the people who would have to try to heal or protect you..
    Bro, I didnít just make that up, Iím just stating what many doctors have stated in interviews. That having unlimited ventilators isnít a panacea. It only saves those who are strong enough to survive, and many are not. Iím not saying they shouldnít ventilate the sick. But early on all the news was that we need warehouses full of ventilators to save lives, and ultimately that isnít the case.

Some say making decisions about healthcare resources is ďplaying GodĒ. But thatís not true. Every time doctors administer medicications or procedures to save lives they are ďplaying GodĒ, and they are saving people from things that would have killed them if they were left to ďnatureĒ. Whether it is appendicitis or a bypass surgery or chemo they are stepping in and saving people that ďnatureĒ would have killed. Maybe we should be thankful for all the thousands of lives they do save instead of tearing them apart for not being able to save everyone. People die; it sucks, man.

Iíve had 15 more years with my grandpa because a great cardiologist fixed his heart, and he has done so well. But 20 years ago grandma had a massive heart attack leaving her without oxygen too long to come back from and she had to be taken off life support when there was no hope left. My dad and his siblings and grandpa made that decision based on the fact that she wasnít coming back. The docs knew what the situation was and they gave the honest truth. Her death wasnít the fault of the paramedics or the ER docs or the ICU staff. They did their best. People die. Pretending everyone can be saved from everything isnít realistic or helpful.

I will try to do some vaccine reading and share anything I find that is relevant or helpful.

Ultimately though, weíre just nerds on a flashlight forum, so despite all our chattering and speculation and ideas and questions, we can only really affect a fairly small bubble. And the government, and hospitals and doctors will make decisions, and we will just have to work with it.

Like Forrest Gump says, ďAnd thatís all I have to say about that.Ē He was pretty wise, that Forrest. Not much for book learniní, but pretty wise.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Her death wasnít the fault of the paramedics or the ER docs or the ICU staff. They did their best. People die. Pretending everyone can be saved from everything isnít realistic or helpful.

hospitals and doctors will make decisions, and we will just have to work with it.
    That's not what we're talking about though, what's on the table is maintaining the vitality of the people via passive extermination for the benefit of business interests. Specifically enabling hospital staff to not do their best, to accept a projected number of casualties of lesser peoples as inevitable and forge ahead to open the way for the strong.

Of course no one here is volunteering. "Weak" in this instance means "those other weak people," we're positing from an exalted position where our kind comes out on top and the losses occur to nearly-alien extraneous groups who just going by the numbers would have soon died anyway. No early adopters here for recommended experimental drugs or therapies, but of course it's crucial that there should be many other people who try these things, very important..

Iím not sure what you are looking for? You want people to come up here on a public hobbyist forum of strangers and say Heck yeah Iíll pull the plug on grandma if it could save someone else! Come on, no one talks like that. But they may in their heart know that if grandma gets sick her odds are not good. I have grandparents in that situation. They are doing fairly well, but I am realistic in my understanding that a serious case of pneumonia could take them.

And I ask again, how are people supposed to die? Iíve watched plenty of older friends die slowly, painfully, expensively over the course of years of cancer, ALS, the complications of heart disease, diabetes, strokes, etc. No one can reasonably argue that that is a better way to go than a quick bout of pneumonia. Itís just that quick ends seem more tragic while slow painful deaths allow people time to say goodbye and when they do finally die you are perhaps even relieved as they are no longer in pain. Doctors face a very real challenge in the face of limited resources: expend huge resources to try save the old and sick so they can go back to dying of all they things already wrong with them or expend the resources on those they think have the best odds of a long healthy life. Is there a right answer? NO!!! Thatís why hospitals have entire ethics boards to sit around and come up procedures for that and they are constantly changing. You can easily argue either side of it and if youíre reasonable you can see valid points on both sides. I donít have the answers but I can see and understand both sides.

In any case, I guess we donít really know how anyone here would respond in a given situation until they are in it. You and I donít know exactly how we will react to a certain circumstance until we are in it either. We think we know, but we often donít know what we are really made of until the rubber hits the road.

I can only go from my experience with my dad who was placed on a ventalator for an issue unrelated. It was in about 2009 or so. But the folks in ICU said most do not usually survive because the machine is so dam good at what it does that the body of the person using it forgets how to. They slowly took it away from him, whatever that means. All I know is at 10am they told Mrs Fixer and I to leave the room and come back at 2:30. That they would know one way or the other by then.

At 10am that day a machine was keeping him alive. The doctor said it was a 50/50 chance. At supper time he was out of his coma and asking how long he had been asleep. It had been about a week. Prior to them putting him on the ventalator one night he was gasping for air and and telling me to go home, get his 357, come back and as he put it "put me down". As he was being knocked out via IV he was doing the pistol to the temple motion with his hand. He was pissed off that nobody would "put him down". Thank the stars he did not remember that when he woke because otherwise I might not be around to type this. lol.

He had been medivac'd to a hospital. Mrs Fixer drove my dad's van there and I followed the chopper as it flew along the interstate. That was pretty cool, but not because my pop was in dire straights from a bonk on the melon. Later on when he was settled in a room in ICU I sent Mrs Fixer home for the evening. What happened next forever changed me. My pop was bleeding on the brain and his blood thinner was causing it not to stop. He was on a fixed amount of liquid regiment due to a heart condition. They had to exceed that by several fold to thicken his blood. I asked what does that entail. The young doctor in training said "we have to drown him, to save him". Oh that's all. I will never forget what happened during the next few hours.

So for me, if I were in the situation my dad was in I cannot honestly say I would not want to be "put down" like he did. I never talked to him about it, just in case he would have shot me for not respecting his wishes. I do not believe Mrs Fixer would have me put out of my misery. But then again one never really knows. Afterall there were all those years I forgot our anniverssary and that one year I forgot her birthday.

Dam this corona virus is sure stirring up some old ghosts.

He passed away in his sleep one Sunday mid morning during his 10 o'clock nap. Complications resulting from "the sniffles" brought on by a head cold.

When we had to unplug my mom she was already gone. Her brain was moosh so she never knew. She just fell asleep after a surgery issue. Like NBP's grandma, lack of O2.
    But my pop knew up until the coma med knocked him out and if that is what it's like with some covid-19 patients, it's a terrible thing. Yet there was no way I was going to "put him down". That's murder in the place called USA regardless of mine or his wishes. Some places allow it. All I could say is it would be up to the individual doing the suffering. Not me, nor some doctor.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-27-2020 at 11:56 PM.
    John 3:16

Iím not sure what you are looking for?
    I'm looking for someone to say "I would do anything for the survival of my loved ones, I would want others to help my loved ones survive, so I would not harbor a position where others' loved ones were sacrificed."

Is there a right answer? NO!!! Thatís why hospitals have entire ethics boards to sit around and come up procedures for that and they are constantly changing. You can easily argue either side of it and if youíre reasonable you can see valid points on both sides. I donít have the answers but I can see and understand both sides.
    Okay, so maybe I'm out of place. This might be another "many fine people on both sides" issue and I'm just not worldly enough to understand the modern approach to eugenics. I'd like to hear others' opinions on this.

Good grief. Iím so over this. Iíll see you in the Radio thread.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    I'm looking for someone to say "I would do anything for the survival of my loved ones, I would want others to help my loved ones survive, so I would not harbor a position where others' loved ones were sacrificed."

Okay, so maybe I'm out of place. This might be another "many fine people on both sides" issue and I'm just not worldly enough to understand the modern approach to eugenics. I'd like to hear others' opinions on this.
    Ok... my opinion. What you're looking for is very selfish. You want YOUR needs filled before anyone else's so YOU do not feel guilty. Plain and simple.

Does this mean I don't love my loved ones as much as you do? Nope. Just means that I am more realistic as far as "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". And I know my loved ones and what they would want. It's quite interesting how few people actually take the time to talk to their loved ones about these kind of things or really even to get to KNOW them. My parents, my kids, my husband... I know exactly what they want and what they would want me to do. And they know what I want too. And I'm very proud to say that none of us are selfish. Quality over quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Does this mean I don't love my loved ones as much as you do? Nope. Just means that I am more realistic as far as "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". And I know my loved ones and what they would want. It's quite interesting how few people actually take the time to talk to their loved ones about these kind of things or really even to get to KNOW them. My parents, my kids, my husband... I know exactly what they want and what they would want me to do. And they know what I want too. And I'm very proud to say that none of us are selfish. Quality over quantity.
    I do support having your house in order, that's very important to know the wishes of your loved ones if it came to that grim situation. But what Poppy is proposing in post #22 is that it's in question if we should protect others' loved ones; that the criteria for not helping the ill should be if they are ill, so that the well can flourish. Herd immunity to improve the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Shall we do all we can to protect the populace and minimize the deaths?

Let this virus run its course... let the weak die, only the strong survive, we'll have a stronger, more vibrant, population... and we can get back to business.
    Again, he is posing this as a question and not his concrete position, I am echoing that question and asking others to voice their opinion. Should we minimize the deaths?

Flashaholic*

How do you propose we minimize the deaths? Nobody on Earth, literally, has that solution yet.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Red,
    Thanks for that.
    Who knows, who is right?

Certainly there is the moral issue.
    Euthanasia ... good or bad?
    Shall we do all we can to protect the populace and minimize the deaths?

OTOH
    The economy is in the tank, with few working.
    Let this virus run its course... let the weak die, only the strong survive, we'll have a stronger, more vibrant, population... and we can get back to business.
    How long can the country survive, going into debt, or printing money?

Will there be a global response, where each country devalues their dollar the same? SO that it all remains the same but not backed by the same amount of Gold?

So lots of questions, and few answers.

It appears to me, that there will be a toe in the water, re-opening of businesses in the next couple of weeks, as a test to see how it goes. I hope it goes well. As we all know, that it will take a couple of weeks to see if things have gotten worse. OK, we are sure they will have gotten worse, but at that point it will have to be determined how much worse is acceptable, or if the re-opening will have to be scaled back.
    First of all Star.

Don't quote me out of context again, or I will report you to the internet police.

I did NOT take a position on this matter, but simply stated that there are moral and economic questions that will need to be answered.

Secondly,
    I never said that we should limit healthcare resources.
    Thankfully, even in NYC its been reported that anyone who needed a ventilator, got one. Now that the curve has been bent, they were able to send 400 of them to Massachusetts. So, unless things get really worse, ventilators will not be an issue.

Thirdly,
    I have had a discussion with my Dad about the value of life. He brought it up. He said that he led a full and happy life, and that if it comes down to it, and he had to go on a ventilator, and some kid needs it, he would give his up so that the kid had a better opportunity to survive.

Forth,
    You are allowed to go to work and collect a pay check each week. In fact it is larger because of the over time you have put in. Ha... living high on the hog, eh? Nice new refrigerator you have there. You have not responded to the questions put forth regarding the economics of the situation. Nor did you respond to the question, are you willing to continue to work for free? What would your position be if you were not allowed to work, and unable to collect unemployment, either because you were not eligible, or the government ran out of money?
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

<snip>

I will try to do some vaccine reading and share anything I find that is relevant or helpful.
    Please do.

I have always believed that a naturally acquired immunity was better than an artificially acquired immunity (vaccination). I might have been wrong all the while, IDK.

With that said, and the fact that the experts do not know if those with naturally acquired antibodies are immune, I'd like an explanation of how vaccination would do a better job. Is it that they are banking on/hoping that a certain level of immunity exists?, and that they can reproduce it with a vaccine?

That having unlimited ventilators isnít a panacea. It only saves those who are strong enough to survive, and many are not. Iím not saying they shouldnít ventilate the sick.
    Ventilators arenít working nearly as well as experts predicted. Growing number of medical opinions suggest COVID-19 patients should avoid ventilation for increased survival rates. That a CPAP machine or simple breathing mask is better. Perhaps we were oversold on ventilators. Not suggesting it was purposeful Or avoidable. You learn by doing.
    ďExpertsĒ are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

Having loved ones know your wishes is invaluable. Having an on-paper health care proxy so there's no misunderstanding of your wishes is priceless. No fighting. No discussion. Maybe some hurt feelings, but it's spelled out so it's minimized. My Mother-in-law went from fully functioning and fine to in a coma and unresponsive within the space of a week, and 13 days after being taken to hospice she was gone. The week of testing showed nothing, she had just lost her mental faculties and "gone to sleep." She never wanted to live like that, didn't want extrordinary measures, just wanted to go. It was tough as hell to watch, some wanted other steps taken, but it was in black and white. It's never too early to get your house in order. My brother-in-law is six months into stage 4 lung cancer as we speak, and won't do the paperwork even after watching what his mother went through. I pray it's quick when it happens or it's going to be ugly.

BigBurly- The solution to minimize deaths was given- Stay the hell at home. Very few people are prepared for that emotionally, financially, or from a logistical standpoint. The number of people ignoring the directives and wandering the grocery stores or the Big Orange improvement store "just to get out of the house" is laughable.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Wasnít the (real) purpose of the Shelter in place / stay at home to minimize deaths that otherwise would have occurred ďat the same timeĒ? In other words, to Stretch out the numbers of deaths across the calendar as to avoid overwhelming hospitals when they lacked protocols, and PPE, and meds, etc. I think the ďshelter-in-placeĒ instruction is similar to the ďmasks donít helpĒ instruction. My opinion is that these examples of Public medical guidance have a main, intended purpose (protect the system) distinct from, but related to, the advertised purpose (protect individuals). Absent a vaccine or effective treatment, the other solution is herd immunity since the virus likely isnít going away, and we canít out shelter it.
    Last edited by lion504; 04-28-2020 at 06:13 AM.
    ďExpertsĒ are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

They won't know until they know Poppy. Remember, this is a new virus. So in labs they can make some things happen in a predictive manner sure. But each human has it's own set of rules going on called DNA so perhaps something everyone has in common can be discovered and that be what is the catalyst for an effective inoculation.

Now for a flu shot to work, it would seem logical that if in order for a person to have a positive impact there already be antibodies there would be a check for those anti bodies done before the shot is administered. But if I'm not mistaken a flu shot is given if you hand them $X without any prior tests for anything. Swab arm with alcohol soaked cotton ball, stab in needle, push plunger, done. Does that process just suppose the person has antibodies? Is there a Kinder/gentler shot for those with none and a deluxe model for those with antibodies? I dunno. Not trying to be snarky. Just curious.

I work with folks who speak of a time when the US government required adults to be vacinated for flu. They said it was Ford was in the White House. They told of how it killed a whole bunch of people, like as many as non vacinated folks. There is not much written about that as I look around. I just presume Uncle Sam deems that as not one of his finer moments so like crazy uncle Fred lets just not talk about that. I was able to read it was a version of the Spanish flu that comes back around every few decades in a form that wipes out a lot of people.

So as long as mother nature allows viruses to change enough to get past human immunity (ie keep finding new hosts) the world will always be caught flat footed from time to time. This is just another one of those times only this one is the worst one in a century.

Once the numbers in some places go from all those dead people to all those recovered people maybe this thing won't look so scarey to the average Schmoe. But as it stands right now a picture has been painted that a trip to the grocery store is a 50/50 proposition.

My state for example has a chart with a curve showing how many died. Another showing how many are sick. They say they do not have the resources to show how many have recovered. To be deemed recovered means show negative virus for two times. The tests are all being used to check for new cases since they are in short supply. Ok that makes sense. But they could show of X hospitalized XX were discharged. That would at least instill some hope in folks, right?

I conclude that unless they scare the beezlebub out of us we'll be like "pfft corona balona" and just keep acting normal. I say "we" as in the general society. I'd wager that nearly all if not all who read this and part 1 are doing their part to take this thing serious, even if it's just to keep the seasoned generation safe. I posed a question before about who knows somebody. Well recent studies causes me to wonder how many of us had it and did not know. I don't pose that to make light of this very serious situation. But just wonder if perhaps some have been exposed to a something or other they never knew they had been. Did some folks bodies have a head start after being exposed to SARS1? Did an exposure to the Spanish flu derivative cause seasoned folks bodies to say "I got you this time buckaroo" and over attack this one?

Time will tell. I do not want to write down a directive but did advise loved ones to DNR if they choose to. I think the key to that is to figure who would decide with the most logical perspective.

Mr. Fixer,
    Here is my limited understanding.

We are continually assaulted by microbes: viruses, bacteria, molds etc.

Our bodies respond to these assaults by creating specific to the microbe anti-bodies.
    Once our body has done that, successfully, it remembers how to do it again. Therefore, the next time it is assaulted by the same microbe, or one that is very similar, it can ramp up its defenses more rapidly than it did the first time.

I always thought that once a person develops specific antibodies to a particular microbe, that they have life-time immunity.
    Apparently I was wrong. Dr. Fauci has repeatedly stated that "we do not know if, or how long immunity exists after one recovers from this new virus."

Some people think that a flu shot is a treatment for the flu. It is not. It is a vaccination shot.
    There are multiple strains of viruses that can cause flu symptoms. Each year, one strain or another is more prevalent, and the experts try to predict which one it will be, and promote the inoculation for vaccination for the stain which is their best guess. Some years they get it right, some years, not at all.

I don't know if there is a way to determine if immunity exists, other than by clinical trial.
    1. Take a group of recovered people.
    2. Expose them to the virus
    3. Watch them for a few weeks and see if they become symptomatic, and if so, how symptomatic.

Antibodies is not the body's only defense to fighting invading organisms.
    Many microbes are not very tolerant of temperature changes, and one of the body's defensive mechanisms, is to run a fever. Many will now say, "Don't fight a fever" until it is over 101 F.
    Swelling of tissues, and coughing and sneezing are attempts of the body to remove some microbes.

At any rate, it would take time to determine if immunity exists, and even more time to determine how long it exists.
    Time will tell.

I never figured antibodies lasted a lifetime. But did figure the body does remenber how to rebuild them when need be. It's why some strains of influenza won't adversely affect folks who had it before. Viruses though are like roaches. We zap one generation with D-Con but another generation adapts and continues. It's why they have to keep creating new versions of the flu shot I suppose.

I read a story about the two doctors in Bakersfield Ca. They used some numbers and threw out some theories. But so did the guy who said 2 million will die in the US. I don't put a lot of stock in Dr Fauchis theories either. Even when he predicts based on predictions based on a very short period of historical data. When he says it's very contagious, duh. We all know that. When he predicts this will linger like an influenza, sure that makes sense too. Afterall, humans do a great job at spreading disease.

Yet there was a time when nobody knew the affects of an atomic bomb until we blew one up. Shortly after (from historical perspective) some were used on a population of 2 cities and it was decades before we really knew the long term affects. Folks are still learning the affects of the twin towers situation. It's too soon to tell the big time affect of this corona virus. History may show it was way over blown. It may show we blew it in trying to slow the spread when herd immunity was the real answer. It may show hand sanitizer keeps us from developing things our bodies can modify to better fight it. It may show 5g played a role, or did not. It's just too soon to know.

With the resurgance of the Spanish flu every so often I definitely believe herd immunity does play a role in the survival ability of the human race itself. Generations never exposed to it before succumb to the "new flu", which is really the off spring of an old one. Meanwhile an older generation largely goes unaffected by it. But will this novel corona prove that false down the road? Too soon to tell right now. We should certainly know by 2025. (no I'm not advocating lock down until then.) I'm just saying that it will take years to really know the affects of this new super bug.

We know how to slow the spread. Lessons learned from the 1918 pandemic.

At 2pm the vp is slated to take part in a round table discussion at the mayo clinic. For some that should prove as exciting as watching paint dry. To others it may lend creedence to their state of mind being relieved or made worse. Egg heads on display. I'm up for it.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-28-2020 at 08:03 AM.

This might not gain any attention, but Iíll deposit it here anyway...

The large company that I work for has decided to bring back many of the thousands that have been furloughed. What Iíve found in offering lots of these folks the opportunity to come back to work again, is that they simply donít want to come back because theyíre making too much in unemployment (the extra $600 above what their normal unemployment benefit is) but using the ďI donít want to come back because Iím Ďscaredí still of the CoronavirusĒ excuse.

I had this response in multiple ďoff the recordĒ text exchanges...
    The beauty of Science hugely outranks the charms of superstition

If the "extra" $600 stay-at-home carrot were removed upon offering furloughed employees their jobs back, I'll bet more would show up. It needs to be tapered off...

Don't quote me out of context again, or I will report you to the internet police...I did NOT take a position on this matter...You have not responded to the questions put forth
    Asiding the fact that you're not positing an opinion but are asking for mine, post #39 states that you are only posing a question and not your position, post #36 states my position.

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    What Iíve found in offering lots of these folks the opportunity to come back to work again, is that they simply donít want to come back because theyíre making too much in unemployment.
    Good thing those aren't Amazon employees, or there'd already be someone else at their desks. Anyone who doesn't want to be an essential worker doesn't have to, but there are others who want to..

A lot of that going around wacbzz. Heck when they began talking about the extra $600 I called my boss and asked for a furlough. She laughed and said "yeah right, you aint going anywhere".

I did get an email from a large government agency congratulating those of us in my industry for complying with guidelines. "thanks to your dilligence you have earned the priveledge to remain employed" it said. Call me crazy but I felt a bit slighted by that.

My responses are on auto-delete because I speak the truth. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    And I know my loved ones and what they would want. It's quite interesting how few people actually take the time to talk to their loved ones about these kind of things or really even to get to KNOW them. My parents, my kids, my husband... I know exactly what they want and what they would want me to do. And they know what I want too. And I'm very proud to say that none of us are selfish. Quality over quantity.
    Well said. I went through this exact process several years ago. When the time came, and my parents were on ventilators there was no doubt in my mind what their wishes were and the hospice care they received was a blessing.

We may soon have a better picture on how the "herd immunity" argument plays out...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/3031536001/

Quote Originally Posted by Cree XHP 70 LED View Post
    My responses are on auto-delete because I speak the truth. LOL
    Your responses are not on auto delete, an Admin asked in the OP to keep politics out of the thread this go-round and has suggested repeatedly that the Underground is the place for sich discussion. Please see Empath's OP if clarification is needed. Thanks for your understanding.
    Last edited by scout24; 04-28-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    If the "extra" $600 stay-at-home carrot were removed upon offering furloughed employees their jobs back, I'll bet more would show up. It needs to be tapered off...
    There was a Federal Legislator (I didn't catch whether he was a Senator, or Congressman) but he stated, in front of the media camera, that he voted against the bill, because he didn't want to give the people in his region an incentive to NOT return to work. Many or most in his district didn't make $600 a week.

Apparently, women are getting sick less than men from corona virus. In the U.S., they are beginning a clinical trial for men with corona virus to see if estrogen and progesterone can be used to treat corona virus. You heard that right. They are giving men the female hormone estrogen or progesterone to try to treat this virus. So many jokes popping into my head right now. I can just imagine the headlines now:
    Good news: effective treatment found. Bad news: It turns men into women.
    Transgender women join lupus patients in medication shortage.
    Side effects may include breast growth, erectile dysfunction, mood swings, hot flashes, muscle loss, and family and friends questioning your sanity.

I guess this is good news for women if it works. They'll be safer to work and the men who refuse treatment might be stuck at home cleaning the house and taking care of the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Your responses are not on auto delete, an Admin asked in the OP to keep politics out of the thread this go-round and has suggested repeatedly that the Underground is the place for sich discussion. Please see Empath's OP if clarification is needed. Thanks for your understanding.

On the version 1 yes I was political. My last post here was not political.

I simply stated that I personally do not care if I get coronavirus and die from it.

I see nothing political in that statement.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast