Acebeam        
Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

Quote Originally Posted by Cree XHP 70 LED View Post
    On the version 1 yes I was political. My last post here was not political.

I simply stated that I personally do not care if I get coronavirus and die from it.

I see nothing political in that statement.
    You posted a lot more than that. Stop. Just stop. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    You posted a lot more than that. Stop. Just stop. Now.

Please PM me I think you have me confused with someone else.

In my state women have a commanding lead over men in case numbers.
    It seems how both fare is where things go bad for us fellas.

"Hey Mrs. Fixer, got any extra Estro-Life I can bum from ya?"

But seriously, women, especially moms have some kind of super powers that causes them never to get the flu while us hubbies whimper on the couch under a blankee. Perhaps the ability to survive giving birth in itself should say a lot. Is it simply estrogen? Or is it something super charged by the female chromosomes? Maternal super powers?

We may never know HoF.
    John 3:16

Or maybe women are just healthier than men in general and are less prone to the other health problems that lead to COVID19 Complications due to lifestyle choices.

I have heard that a lot of older men actually have more estrogen than women who have been through menopause. Estrogen stores in fat. If estrogen was an effective treatment, we would hear about more unhealthy obese men surviving it. Instead, we hear that that extra weight puts pressure on the lungs when the person needs a ventilator to survive. You want an effective treatment that increases the chance of survival? Don't give them estrogen. Give them liposuction. Men who survive will be much happier coming out of this with losing weight rather than growing breasts and becoming sterile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    What color was it?
    The toilet paper? It was white.

The store? It was the "orange" one.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 04-28-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    ...But seriously, women, especially moms have some kind of super powers that causes them never to get the flu while us hubbies whimper on the couch under a blankee. Perhaps the ability to survive giving birth in itself should say a lot. Is it simply estrogen? Or is it something super charged by the female chromosomes? Maternal super powers?

We may never know HoF.
    I read one story that stated that post menopausal women still have an advantage regarding Covid. This is causing speculation that it might be something other than estrogen or progesterone.

Default Coronavirus - II

Please PM me I think you have me confused with someone else.
    No need for PM. Let’s show everyone:

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1588117277.076854.jpg
    Last edited by Greta; 04-28-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    The toilet paper? It was white.
    The store? It was the "orange" one.
    Bummer, you didn't get my <jk> re: the palette

The wife bought disinfectant wipes at the red store, so at least that curve appears to have flattened..

Quote Originally Posted by Cree XHP 70 LED
    (contents deleted by CPF Staff)
    My responses are on auto-delete because I speak the truth. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Your responses are not on auto delete, an Admin asked in the OP to keep politics out of the thread this go-round and has suggested repeatedly that the Underground is the place for sich discussion. Please see Empath's OP if clarification is needed. Thanks for your understanding.
    On the version 1 yes I was political. My last post here was not political.
    I simply stated that I personally do not care if I get coronavirus and die from it.
    I see nothing political in that statement.
    (emphasis added by staff)

As can be seen; self-serving distortions like this, is the sort of thing that CPF Staff have to deal with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cree XHP 70 LED
    Meanwhile, the world governments test run is going smoothly. How much will people obey before they revolt? The Hawaiian government should be ashamed anything on wheels not allowed only running below the high water mark on the beach? I do not obey, I am indifferent though about a lot of things. If I get it and die who cares. Just stop inflating the numbers on purpose.

Despite subsequent staff efforts to keep things civil, some 'members' just can't be trusted to act like adults; temper-tantrum behavior that should have normally gotten weeded out in their teenage years.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-28-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Early on HoF I was reading about glucose levels playing a role with the covid severity. It was early on so I really didn't talk about it. The doctor was speaking on how all kinds of extra glucose in folks was seemingly leading to adverse conditions when the corona set in. He wasn't speaking of over weight folks, but folks who have a lot of extra glucose in their bodies. Folks like me with insulin resistance issues, or what my doctor calls pre-diabetes.

It was a sort of infomercial about a keto type regimine. But later I started reading about obesce folks struggling with covid and thought "hmmmm, I think I'll skip dessert……

Shoot, there are so many trials going on. Female hormones, malaria pills, nicotine patches, all kinds of stuff.

Early on HoF I was reading about glucose levels playing a role with the covid severity. It was early on so I really didn't talk about it. The doctor was speaking on how all kinds of extra glucose in folks was seemingly leading to adverse conditions when the corona set in. He wasn't speaking of over weight folks, but folks who have a lot of extra glucose in their bodies. Folks like me with insulin resistance issues, or what my doctor calls pre-diabetes.

It was a sort of infomercial about a keto type regimine. But later I started reading about obesce folks struggling with covid and thought "hmmmm, I think I'll skip dessert……

Shoot, there are so many trials going on. Female hormones, malaria pills, nicotine patches, all kinds of stuff.
    There is 1) so much misinformation out there and 2) a lack of accurate info. We have medical people in the family, 2 of which are doctors. Even _they_ don't have much better info than you and I. As one of them say '2 years from now we'll know exactly what to do'.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Bummer, you didn't get my <jk> re: the palette
    Doh! I just got it now.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    There is 1) so much misinformation out there and 2) a lack of accurate info. We have medical people in the family, 2 of which are doctors. Even _they_ don't have much better info than you and I. As one of them say '2 years from now we'll know exactly what to do'.
    Similar experience here.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

Some of the stuff I read, well it sounds logical sure. But other stuff is just kind of bizzar.

I remember early on hearing people in high places, with enough education and experience to be taken very seriously who were saying stuff like up to 2.2 million people will die from this in the next 45 days if we don't do x, y and z. I thought huh, 2 million? But in China, Phillipines, south Korea etc that did not happen, what gives here? A very short historic period did show it exploded on a population like an atomic bomb, sure but did I actually need 3 months stock of groceries?

The perverbial bombs hit. Most made it. But the fallout is where we are now. In a general sense those are little bombs exploding all over now. The authorities call them "outbreak centers". While the ginormous outbreaks are subsiding the virus continues its campaign of moving from host to host.

One little bomb smaller than the eye can see has managed to bring nearly the entire population of planet earth to a halt. Talk about ripple effect. Butterfly takes off in China causes hurricane in Australlia……wow.

Now America is a place made up of people who thumbed their nose at authority early on. They fought a war for independence. Later half the country thumbed their nose at the other half in a civil war. During a pandemic they marched across the planet and defeated a tyrant in a world war. Later they dropped everything and made sure the boys overseas had everything they needed to defeat two tyrants in a second world war. Now these same people were asked to set at home, stay hunkered down while an invisible enemy marched throught the cities. They gladly did for a while. Some are still patiently waiting for the all clear signal. Some are saying "bring on your best corona virus, we aint scared of you". But that is a typical reaction from a citizenry who don't take lightly to being powerless to stop an enemy. A lot of Americans don't take well to being told they cannot go to church, or to a barbecue. So it should come as no surprise when they begin to wave banners and thumb their noses at authority again.

Down the street from me yesterday a neighbor had a birthday gathering for their 2 year old. Outside. There were probably 25 people gathered in the front yard. Not one of us were shocked, appalled or even thinking of calling the authorities. The gathering was taking place in a responsible manner and frankly we were pleased as punch to witness a bit of normalcy again. Sadly less than a mile away is a senior center that is plagued with covid-19 patients. So we raise a toast to good vibes towards the nursing home as we know a lot of folks in there would raise a toast to carry on if they could.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-29-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Some of the stuff I read, well it sounds logical sure. But other stuff is just kind of bizzar.

I remember early on hearing people in high places, with enough education and experience to be taken very seriously who were saying stuff like up to 2.2 million people will die from this in the next 45 days if we don't do x, y and z. I thought huh, 2 million? But in China, Phillipines, south Korea etc that did not happen, what gives here? A very short historic period did show it exploded on a population like an atomic bomb, sure but did I actually need 3 months stock of groceries?

That's the nature of exponential growth. If measures were not taken the # of infected would be off the charts with a similar number of deaths.

But now, the real reason I popped in. I don't usually post links, but I'm making an exception for this. Single source of all coronavirus info/etc that we currently know. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...RM&app=desktop

This is a common complaint and it seems to stem from reporting done on the early models of how the diseased would progress.

There are two major factors at play here - the shaky nature of initial models and the grim realities of the news business.

Science is in the business of producing models in order to understand nature. There's a saying in science - all models are false but some models are useful - that expresses the various conceits, shortcuts, and handwaves necessary to reduce a complex system down to something that can be understood well enough to be predicted. If you've ever done word problems for physics you see this all the time - frictionless surfaces, no air resistance, no crosswind, a perfect gas, or a complete reaction ... and these are robust, tested models. Much of the initial reporting about predictions of millions dead comes from the early models of how COVID-19 worked - using the best information then available, science produced models of the spread of the disease then modeled the impact of a variety of mitigation methods. As time progressed, better information became available - the nature of the disease, how it spreads, how long it survives in various environments, how it manifests itself in people, a better idea the actual infection rate is, the impact of mitigation methods - and the models improved. The early models were effectively demanded of the discipline by policy makers who needed a best estimate of what the disease would do, on a deadline, so they could act.

For something so pervasive it amazes me that certain realities of the news business are so poorly-understood by the public. For the last >20 years, the market for news has grown intensely competitive while the ultimate limit on its potential - the size of the population and its limited attention span - has grown almost zero by comparison. Gone are the days of any given metro area having 6-12 TV stations, twice as many radio stations, two local papers, a few more nationally-distributed news papers, and perhaps 100 news magazines available; now there are about a dozen 24 hour cable news networks, a thousand channels on TV, a million YouTube channels, and tens of millions of websites of various flavors providing news - and really the news business is now online with TV being a legacy venue and print steadily dying. For the modern journalist, the realtime performance of a given story, article, video, whatnot can determine whether they put food on the table or go hungry/steal from the cat. From an overall content perspective, anxiety sells and keeps people coming back. The degree to which realtime data is available and stories are tuned is amazing and sometimes unnerving - some sites will just do simple A/B headline testing, others will run multiple versions of the story and settle on the one that gets the most full reads/shares. This sort of rapid evolution also effects outlets as a whole, shaping themselves, their style, and their content to whatever works. To wit, any journalist that doesn't want to risk their cat's wrath will think about what generates clicks, which means page reads, which means shares, which ultimately means ad impressions and thus a paycheck. Publishing early and often are advantageous to put it mildly. Thus back to COVID-19 when scientists put out some preliminary death projections, it is a fundamental business imperative from above and often a microeconomic decision to run with the biggest most frightening number, gather up as much information as possible around that number, and find a steady series of quotes and updates around the biggest plausible numbers available that given day. Alternatively, since meta-reporting is every political junkie's favorite subject, run stories that whip up one faction or another into a frenzy vis-à-vis outrage pieces that get shared on social media in endless culture war, likely paying better for their authors and outlets than simply reporting the story.

TL;DR 2 million people pretty clearly haven't died of COVID-19 worldwide. Some of that was preliminary models with enormous error bars based on incomplete information, some of it was mitigation actions, and the reporting that put that figure out there in the public imagination was ... irresponsible ... but the press doesn't have so much agency as we'd like to believe because of irresistible market forces.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

If a tornado is coming, they generally tell everyone in the area to seek shelter, not just the people currently closest to the tornado.

I think one thing that separates this chat board if you will from other sites is a genuine curiosity about what can or cannot be done with a flashlight. That lends a bit of skeptisism to things published. "Does that double a fueled light actually produce 3000 lumens? C'mon man."

So when models were saying people would be dieing at rates that would mean by the time you finish reading this 14.7 people be dead some of us went "no way dude". We looked around for data and historical stats for the same reason we would see if that double a can really put out 3000 lumens. Being skeptical of the proposed mortality rate there was plenty of data to indicate "this thing aint no hoax". We have had a dialog ever since. Some of it not so pretty but if you could see the royal rumbles taking place at other sites, this place is an oasis in the information super desert.

I think one thing that separates this chat board if you will from other sites is a genuine curiosity about what can or cannot be done with a flashlight. That lends a bit of skeptisism to things published. "Does that double a fueled light actually produce 3000 lumens? C'mon man."

So when models were saying people would be dieing at rates that would mean by the time you finish reading this 14.7 people be dead some of us went "no way dude". We looked around for data and historical stats for the same reason we would see if that double a can really put out 3000 lumens. Being skeptical of the proposed mortality rate there was plenty of data to indicate "this thing aint no hoax". We have had a dialog ever since. Some of it not so pretty but if you could see the royal rumbles taking place at other sites, this place is an oasis in the information super desert.
    Yup.

From a public policy angle... it's lose/lose. You have an outbreak and people complain. Or you quash it with distancing/etc and people complain that nothing happened. My cousin, a primary care doc in Alabama, is seeing case #2. People are actually mad that there is not MORE sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    This is a common complaint and it seems to stem from reporting done on the early models of how the diseased would progress.

There are two major factors at play here - the shaky nature of initial models and the grim realities of the news business.
    Thanks for the concise summary of what's being disseminated and what we actually know at this time.

Perhaps history will show that sketchy models predicting massive death actually saved lives. I believe that. But some 45 days later lots of Americans in Oklahoma, Wyoming etc are hollering "I need a hair cut".
    First world problems, aye?

Russell Brand threw together a quick video on how to deal with anxiety during this time; it's interesting how it segues perfectly into Mr. Butler's take on dealing with the virus:

Last edited by StarHalo; 04-29-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Perhaps history will show that sketchy models predicting massive death actually saved lives. I believe that.

I do too. I was JUST having that discussion with my mom - over FaceTime, of course. Being safe and all.

Meanwhile... in the middle of the AZ desert where it is currently 105 degrees (RealFeel 113).... I need my nails done!

It's a dry heat……

But then again brownies are cooked in a dry heat too.

I've worked in Arizona over the summer before. It's so hot there, it makes you want to puke. But it's a dry heave. I don't miss doing electrical work in summer on the top floor of a clean room (wiring air conditioning) while they test the heater and have people smoking in front of my fan. It got really scary during a lightning storm doing electrical work on the top floor on the building covered with copper panels. Summer is monsoon season. When it's not as hot as hell, it's raining cats and dogs. Good luck living there and may your air conditioner never fail you.

How about that new treatment announced today?

Sounds like a good starting point. It's an anti viral used to treat ebola and marburg virus (a hemoragic fever causer)
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-29-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    I've worked in Arizona over the summer before. It's so hot there, it makes you want to puke. But it's a dry heave. I don't miss doing electrical work in summer on the top floor of a clean room (wiring air conditioning) while they test the heater and have people smoking in front of my fan. It got really scary during a lightning storm doing electrical work on the top floor on the building covered with copper panels. Summer is monsoon season. When it's not as hot as hell, it's raining cats and dogs. Good luck living there and may your air conditioner never fail you.
    Just had the AC serviced yesterday. Good to go! It's a lovely 73 degrees in the house... while it's 106 outside right now at 5:15PM. I've lived here now for 25 years... still hate it

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Just had the AC serviced yesterday. Good to go! It's a lovely 73 degrees in the house... while it's 106 outside right now at 5:15PM. I've lived here now for 25 years... still hate it
    73? OMG!

We run a/c on 75 in the deep south. What is INDOOR humidity like there? We will be 75 indoors w/ 55-65% humidity indoors.

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast