The Fenix-Store        
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

But it's a dry heat, right?
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    73? OMG!

We run a/c on 75 in the deep south. What is INDOOR humidity like there? We will be 75 indoors w/ 55-65% humidity indoors.
    Oh our humidity is in single digits inside and out. I hate sweating... I mean... really really HATE it! I'd rather have to put a sweater on than keep wiping sweat off my face and having soaking wet hair.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    Tell ya what... turn your oven on to 110 degrees. Stick your head in it. Now tell me if it matters whether it's a dry heat or not... it's just freakin' HOT! Right?

I went through Needles CA once in August and was scratching my head as to how the heck there was people there at all. Dry heat my **s!
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

69 indoors here in texas. Getting a black market haircut Friday. Shhh.

76 indoors here, which is fine for being idle but you have to turn it down if you're doing work. And I turn it off the moment the temp outside matches.

My haircut [with proper tip] at a corporate cuts place is ~$30, I paid less than that for my clippers over a decade ago and have never paid/waited for a haircut since.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    Hold yer hand over a lit candle. It's dry heat, shouldn't be uncomfortable. Right?
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

It does make a difference. I was in Phoenix when it was 110 like 15% humidity and it was way more tolerable than a summer day here when its 88 and 70+% humidity. Sweating is useless when it doesn’t evaporate off your body.

The governor of California is shutting down all beaches and parks statewide starting Friday, again. San Diego county is also requiring masks be worn in public starting Friday. These restrictions are getting worse. Everyone is getting cabin fever. The more restrictive things get and the longer they last, the less effective they will be because more people will ignore them and fight to end them. This isn't going to end well for anyone. Protesters are going to spread the virus quicker. Politicians are going to lose their jobs, and in the end, everyone is going to be filing lawsuits. I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Uh oh, it's a train.

Shades of 1918 HoF when folks in San Fran protested wearing masks, including doctors. That led to the San Fran pandemic of 1919.
    https://sfist.com/2020/04/27/history...st-face-masks/

In the Fixer household we use fans to keep a slight breeze blowing. I grew up in a house with a climate controlled bottom half and non controlled top half. Privacy or comfort. I chose privacy. It paid off later when my livelyhood was working out doors. The fan was your friend. No heat in winter. A down comforter was also your friend. There were about 30 days in spring and about 30 in fall you really appreicated.
    When I married Mrs Fixer her comfort zone was about 0.3 degrees. I was paying the utility bill back then. Mine was about 30.0 due to working outdoors. One day I handed her the utility bills and now hers has become about 20 and mine is down to about 15 due to a high mileage chassis. I am more manager than minion these days so most of my time at work is spent in climate controlled conditions where viruses tend to thrive.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, my state will begin allowing elective surgeries and dental visits at midnight tonight while protesters holler "free my barber"……
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-30-2020 at 05:45 AM.
    John 3:16

Some folk need to change their mindset, they need to try thinking that it's being done for them and not to them!
    Last edited by Dave D; 04-30-2020 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
    Some folk need to change their mindset, they need to try thinking that it's being done for them and not to them!
    Dave, I had a discussion with a young coworker who has never faced life without what my generation deems conveniences like dine in restaraunts, gymnasiums and airline travel. He honestly did not know you can work out inside your home with ordinary household items. He had no pots and pans nor knew that trains go the same places as airplanes in the continental US. After a few weeks he had learned to cut his own hair, and told me he is actually saving money now instead of living pay check to pay check.

My supervisor is in his 70's and got used to living the good life. He has relearned that white eggs are just as yummy as brown eggs and that cheap paper towels are also the quicker-picker-upper (old Bounty slogan).

Yesterday a neighbor approached to carry on a "what do you think of this corona thing" conversation and instinctively stepped back a pace. I thanked him. His mother in law calls it "corona balona", which is driving him nuts he says. We'll adapt. But what bothers me is moms being arrested for taking their kids to a play ground while the leaders are still free to do whatever they want to do. My governor was on tv touting masks yet did not even have one draped around his neck. That's what all the protests are about. Mayors saying you cannot go to a salon but I have to to maintain my image for you. The people in the US without jobs are being told by those who have had virtually no interuption to their lives to comply. Press conferences with reporters standing shoulder to shoulder while the news shows protestors standing (gasp) 3 feet apart. That is what results in protests in a land that was born out of fighting a tyranical group of leaders.

It's happening all across America, simply because the leaders do not understand the image they portray. Last week when my governor was on tv with a nice looking mask draped around his neck and a wee bit of wind blown look to his hair we the people said "thanks boss, you understand". But yesterday when he touted a fresh haircut, no mask draped around his neck as his staff were all shoulder to shoulder the image he portrayed was way less than "I feel your pain folks".

My community is hunkered down for the long haul and pretty much scratching our heads at the "corona balona" crowd. Yet we understand where those folks are coming from. Frustration that "We the People" have been told to cower in our homes in fear while they play politics. That is completely opposite of the American way.

So we'll just see what happens this summer. But I'll venture to say that beaches in California will have to be blanketed with broken glass or tear gas before those people say "uncle".

From the other side of the pond Spain is now releasing plans for the easing of restrictions, from Saturday folk will be allowed to go out for 1 hour a day to exercise and it is expected that certain age groups will be allocated certain time zones to avoid overcrowding of public areas. We have had 7 weeks of lockdown, in reality there has been little requirement for enforcement of the restriction because the vast majority of the population understand that the restrictions have been a necessary evil.

The landmass of Spain is similar to the size of Texas with a population of just under 47 million. To date we have lost over 24,000 people to the virus, France is quickly approaching the same numbers and the United Kingdom has already passed us.

About 12% of GDP in Spain is created by tourism so there is going to be a huge financial effect on the Country, but nobody wants to reopen too soon which will create an increase in cases which may lead to a further lockdown. It is hoped that if the gradual lifting of restriction goes well that Spain should be operating in a 'new normal' by the end of June.

More positive news is that Oxford University (UK) is leading the field in developing a vaccine, they have been working on COVID vaccines for years and are able to adapt some of the work that they have already done to fight COVID-19. Scientists are usually very conservative, when speaking about their work, so this is being seen as a very positive step.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-04-30-...vid-19-vaccine

Mississippi reopened this past Monday (3 days ago) to a limited degree: light retail is open, few more businesses, no haircuts, no dine-in retaurants. The # of people 'out and about' has risen greatly. I figure we will see rebound numbers by Friday.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

The partial reopenings should show everybody real soon if spikes will result. A lot of good ideas are floating about how to reopen some things. If my state said today that all you can eat buffet joints could reopen to full capacity I don't think there would be a packed house at first. I know I'd still avoid it, masks or no masks. Same with a packed ball park or night club. We are still on the wrong side of the curve where I am.

Now not being allowed to even go outside? Arrest me man. I gotta have some fresh air. If going outside on my deck gets me a citation, just shoot me and put me outta my misery man. I really feel for folks being forced to stay indoors. That must be awful.

Yes, MrFixer,
    You and I are fortunate that we do have a back deck to sit on.
    The population density in my community is about 2,300 / square mile.

Our lots are about 100' x 100' so most of us can do calisthenics in our back yard, lol at least we have room enough to do so.

I personally am very thankful, that regarding the people that I live with... like my daughter said, "We are really lucky, the we genuinely LIKE each other."

It must be awful for those people who are stuck in cramped apartments with no where to go. Hopefully, most have AC, or the summer heat will be another issue that will force them outside. Parks and beaches will HAVE to be opened, and managed somehow, or there will be riots out of frustration. Hmmm, riots is too strong a term, but I believe that there will be a marked increase in civil disobedience. Distancing will falter.

DD,
    That is good news, that they are preparing for mass production of the vaccine, thinking that it will be effective. "Fingers crossed" that it works.
    Last edited by Poppy; 04-30-2020 at 08:53 AM. Reason: density is 2,300 NOT 23,000
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    DD,
    That is good news, that they are preparing for mass production of the vaccine, thinking that it will be effective. "Fingers crossed" that it works.
    Pascal Soriot, the CEO of AstraZeneca confirmed today that they've already started producing the vaccine, so that they'll have enough to satisfy demand in Q4!

There must be a lot of confidence that this one is going to work, it is also going to be supplied at cost during the pandemic.

Flashaholic*

Pascal Soriot, the CEO of AstraZeneca confirmed today that they've already started producing the vaccine, so that they'll have enough to satisfy demand in Q4!

There must be a lot of confidence that this one is going to work, it is also going to be supplied at cost during the pandemic.
    Until everyone that takes it is walking around like the things on I am Legend.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

You'll find ~15% of Americans will decline to take any vaccine, or give it to their kids.

I have taken nearly all the vaccines out there, polio,mmr..all the standard ones, no problem, proven with decades of data.

The annual flu vaccine is hit and miss every year however not even 30% effective some years. That poor rate alone with the formaldehyde and mercury content makes me skip it. I haven't gotten the flu in a decade as I practice proper hygiene and a very healthy diet. So it's a non issue for me.

As covid19 flu variant has more than 30 strains and more discovered each week, I find it unlikely that a vaccine will be all encompassing. I am not saying they won't find one, just odd to have an effective one against a virus that is still evolving. Also the lack of proven data over years is another reason why I will refrain from participating in trials for the time being.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    You'll find ~15% of Americans will decline to take any vaccine, or give it to their kids.
    Apparently it’s more difficult to develop a vaccine for stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Oh our humidity is in single digits inside and out. I hate sweating... I mean... really really HATE it! I'd rather have to put a sweater on than keep wiping sweat off my face and having soaking wet hair.

Tell ya what... turn your oven on to 110 degrees. Stick your head in it. Now tell me if it matters whether it's a dry heat or not... it's just freakin' HOT! Right?
    You'd love my climate. Although it has conditioned me so that anything above 77F is hot...but I am ok with that.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Only 15%? lol

When the whole thing began we were in a grocery store behind a frantic shopper we called "mercury mom". I asked a lady behind me "so what do you think of this new beer bug thing". Mercury mom pipes in "No way I'm getting a vaccine, dr so no so at such n such unniversity says they use mercury". She kept going on and on. Talk about social distancing. Everybody around just eased on to other checkout lines even if the wait was longer. The lady behind me did the finger twirl around the ear motion and mouthed "coo coo". That was back when stores still had stockpiles of toilet paper.

I'm holding out hope nicotine patches work. Quit smoking and thwart the corona at the same time? Heck yeah. Cigarette sales will bottom out faster than rabbits multiply.

People will think if nicotine is the answer, I’ll just smoke cigarettes!

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Mercury mom pipes in "No way I'm getting a vaccine, dr so no so at such n such unniversity says they use mercury". She kept going on and on. Talk about social distancing. Everybody around just eased on to other checkout lines even if the wait was longer. The lady behind me did the finger twirl around the ear motion and mouthed "coo coo".
    That's the true New Normal; the guy ahead of you in line has a "NO 5G" shirt on, the lady behind you says it's all a hoax made up by Chinese batkeepers, another guy without a mask stands right next to that lady with his smoker's cough, etc.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    That's the true New Normal; the guy ahead of you in line has a "NO 5G" shirt on, the lady behind you says it's all a hoax made up by Chinese batkeepers, another guy without a mask stands right next to that lady with his smoker's cough, etc.
    So sad but so true.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    You'd love my climate. Although it has conditioned me so that anything above 77F is hot...but I am ok with that.
    I'm originally from Upstate NY and I do miss the weather there very much! I FaceTime with my parents and live vicariously through them when it's snowing and blowing and especially with the fall foliage! When it's 110 here, I call Mom and she tells me it's 54 there and I just sigh in longing...

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    I have taken nearly all the vaccines out there, polio,mmr..all the standard ones, no problem, proven with decades of data.

The annual flu vaccine is hit and miss every year however not even 30% effective some years. That poor rate alone with the formaldehyde and mercury content makes me skip it. I haven't gotten the flu in a decade as I practice proper hygiene and a very healthy diet. So it's a non issue for me.

As covid19 flu variant has more than 30 strains and more discovered each week, I find it unlikely that a vaccine will be all encompassing. I am not saying they won't find one, just odd to have an effective one against a virus that is still evolving. Also the lack of proven data over years is another reason why I will refrain from participating in trials for the time being.
    From wikipedia
    The MMR vaccine was developed by Maurice Hilleman.[3] It was licensed for use by Merck in 1971.[14] Stand alone measles, mumps, and rubella vaccines (German measles) had been previously licensed in 1963, 1967, and 1969 respectively.[14][15] Recommendations for a second dose were introduced in 1989.[14] The MMRV vaccine which also covers chickenpox may be used instead.[4
    I know that I had mumps, and chickenpox as a child. I am pretty sure that I had German measles, maybe regular measles too. At some time in my life I got a Tetanus vaccine, and I think I got a tetanus booster once too. I also got the Polio vaccine.

I don't know if I ever got the flu, I've never been vaccinated for it, nor have I had any other vaccine.

Yesterday, I was speaking with a long term friend who routinely gets any vaccination offered by his MD, and I told him that I would probably get this one when it comes out.

I think the formaldehyde and mercury in the shots are as a preservative. Knowing that there is a small amount of evidence that those preservatives *may* be linked to autism, some parents insist on individual shots that do not have the preservatives that are put into the small multi-dose jars.

I am curious to know, if I have been exposed and if I have already built up antibodies. Therefore I will probably ask to be tested prior getting any vaccination.

I agree with what you said above that it is VERY unlikely that it will be all encompassing. Hopefully it will be similar enough that the body will be able to say "hmmm, I've seen something like this before" and be able to get to work faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    I think the formaldehyde and mercury in the shots are as a preservative. Knowing that there is a small amount of evidence that those preservatives *may* be linked to autism, some parents insist on individual shots that do not have the preservatives that are put into the small multi-dose jars.
    If there's a link between the two, science hasn't been able to find it, which is about as close as science gets to saying "X does not cause Y".

Thiomersal (C9H9HgNaO2S) is the preservative in question. It's largely not used in the United States for mandatory multidose vaccinations although some less-common multidose vaccines still use it; I believe that far more expensive single-dose vaccines can be had if absolutely required for nearly all situations.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

- The CDC published a document of guidelines [not directives/laws] for schools and businesses to use for reopening; they're recommending schools not do field trips and have lunches in their classrooms and not a cafeteria. Restaurants should space everyone out preferably outdoors, move toward disposable menus, plates and utensils, switch to single-use condiments, install sneeze guards at cash registers, and avoid salad bars, buffets and self-serve drink stations.

- Beer sales are skyrocketing, specifically store-shelf light beers, as consumers want more to drink but appear to be concerned about calories as they're not moving around as much in quarantine. Craft sales are hurt, as most craft brewers make the majority of their sales in their taprooms, which have been closed.

- Amazon sold $33 million of goods per hour over the last 90 days. The company will be spending next quarter's entire profit margin on COVID safety-related expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    If there's a link between the two, science hasn't been able to find it, which is about as close as science gets to saying "X does not cause Y".

Thiomersal (C9H9HgNaO2S) is the preservative in question. It's largely not used in the United States for mandatory multidose vaccinations although some less-common multidose vaccines still use it; I believe that far more expensive single-dose vaccines can be had if absolutely required for nearly all situations.
    My twin grandkids were three months pre-mature and stayed in the hospital for three months much of the time in incubators. My wife and daughter knew that something was "not average" about them and the pediatrician was very hesitant to diagnose them as being on the autistic spectrum. I don't recall if it was her, or another specialist who labeled them with the diagnosis. When they went to pre-K early intervention, they had to be vaccinated prior to admittance.

The doctor tried for awhile to get individual doses so that the injections could be spread apart, rather than three or four at a time. She tried for a while. They were unobtainable. I don't remember if she finally succeeded, or not. It was a challenge though.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast