Jetbeam        
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

A pediatrician diagnosed them at 3 months with autism?????
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    NO.

Re-reading my post I could see how you might think that. I was certainly not clear.

IDK how long it took but my daughter fought for them to get early intervention. Physical therapist, speech therapists, occupational therapists. And they had to wear helmets to reshape their skulls as they grew.

One was not verbal until about 3.5 years, maybe 4 years.
    Last edited by Poppy; 04-30-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    My twin grandkids were three months pre-mature and stayed in the hospital for three months much of the time in incubators.
    That's a heck of a bad hand to be dealt at life's starting round.

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    My read was that this happened some time later.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
    The landmass of Spain is similar to the size of Texas with a population of just under 47 million. To date we have lost over 24,000 people to the virus, France is quickly approaching the same numbers and the United Kingdom has already passed us.
    Good misrepresentation of things.

France's population is over 67 million ... - meaning nowhere near Spain's.

As for the UK, same thing, it's population is around 66.5 million with a toll of nearly 26 800 pax.
    There also, nowhere near Spain's death rate, meaning in proportion to population.

Quick "global" overview :
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/

Cheers.
    Last edited by coffeecup66; 04-30-2020 at 09:10 PM.

I went back in time and re-read a bunch of articles and news accounts from late 2019 and early 2020 and it seemed everybody knew there was this new virus sweeping across places in China, that it had gotten out and was wreaking havoc in other nearby countries yet nobody thought it would be a problem on Valentines day. We were all making fun of pictures of cats wearing masks. Little did we know that by St Patricks day we'd all be saying "woah, this thing is serious". I found all kinds of facebook memes pretty much saying "yeah, yeah, yeah whatever, bring on baseball or March Madness.

He we are a few days from sinco de mayo going "can't I just get a haircut?" Yup, there's a small history to this 2020 pandemic already. It's like April was 6 days long this year. A lot has happened in the last 60 days that will likely cause changes in behaviors for some for a generation. For some April was 799 days long as each day of "lock down" must have seemed like a whole month. Good Gosh. For some it has been business as usual, almost and some have had their world tossed around like a Kansas tornadoe in spring time.

Each mornings commute for me takes me past two nursing homes and a hospital. I see signs like "heroes work here", American flags and flowers. It kinda puts things in perspective each morning and I try to remember to meditate some positive juju for folks inside, be it patients or workers. I forgot to this morning as it was raining 5 gallon buckets and I had pushed some button in my truck somewhere that had the robo lady saying "please enter a command". I actually hollered out "go go gadget paddles" at one point hoping the robo lady could deploy some kind of James Bond underwater features or just shut the **** up. It was like driving in white water rapids as the winds tossed me around, but at one point I gathered it up and thought about the folks fighting to help others or folks who have to wait on a bus in that weather.

Life in America is still pretty good for most as the "recovery" numbers start to roll in across the death clock pages. I pondered if the new experimental antacid treatment is helping some. Yup, doctors are pumping large doses of the active ingredient in Pepcid AC in places since it seems it supposedly helped some in Wuhan early on. Will it be a day when somebody discovers something simple will work like bread mold was found to become penecillin?
    Nature probably has a cure out there. Can the human race stumble across it in our lifetimes?

History will show someday.
    John 3:16

Some doctors, and other people: "Maybe this lockdown strategy isn't so great. Let's talk about some alternative hypotheses, like what Sweden's doing."

Big Tech: "Talking about Sweden is misinformation and will be banned. Only WHO sanctioned mitigations are permitted."

WHO: "We should follow the Sweden model."
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

Fisher-Price Thank You Heroes action figures; delivery driver, doctor, EMT, and nurse sets:

For younger aspirants, Little People Thank You figurines; a single set with EMT, grocery worker, doctor, delivery driver, nurse:

Preorder at Mattel Playroom online, proceeds go to #FirstRespondersFirst

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup66 View Post
    Good misrepresentation of things.

France's population is over 67 million ... - meaning nowhere near Spain's.

As for the UK, same thing, it's population is around 66.5 million with a toll of nearly 26 800 pax.
    There also, nowhere near Spain's death rate, meaning in proportion to population.

Quick "global" overview :
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/

Cheers.
    I didn't misrepresent anything, I was quoting numbers of deaths not the proportion of the population!

Most countries are at different points in the pandemic, so there is little point calculating percentages now, we will not know the true figures until this is all over.

Stay safe.

Last edited by RBR; 05-27-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    - Chuck Norris??? Never heard of her. -

Quote Originally Posted by RBR View Post
    Barber shops to re-open on Monday next week here. Tried to book a haircut and got a date on Tuesday the week after...
    We have black market barber shops here right now. "please make it a bit shabby so 5-o won't know I just got a haircut".

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Preorder at Mattel Playroom online, proceeds go to #FirstRespondersFirst
    Thoughtful move by Fisher Price. Kudos...
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

Flashaholic

The Baseball Hall of Fame cancelled this years induction ceremony. I was figuring the crowds would be insane and I would have to head south that weekend, now it looks like next year will be my first summer trip in years. The plus of the situation is I will be able to drive through Cooperstown with ease all summer as I make my way to the job I have had for the last 11 years.
    Life is all about having the very best lights.

Flashaholic

I didn't misrepresent anything, I was quoting numbers of deaths not the proportion of the population!
    So if someone writes that 47 million are infected or died in India or China, and that Spain is quickly approaching the same numbers, I'll just read that as identical quantities, nevermind the representation in terms of proportion.

Famous last words : "... But it's a dry heat, right?"

- ESPN is said to be completing a deal with the Korean Baseball Organization to broadcast their games in the US; the South Korean professional league is currently playing standard pre-season games with no stadium audiences, their full season begins May 5th.

- ESPN is also bringing back their farcical "ESPN8: The Ocho" pseudo-channel tomorrow/Saturday; coverage will include marble racing, arm wrestling, Tetris, stone skipping, mini golf, and lawn mower racing among others.

- Best Buy will be re-opening 200 stores over the next week, however you will need an appointment to enter the store, and employees must wipe down any item before you touch it.
    Last edited by StarHalo; 05-01-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Some potentially good news, looks like if you have had covid19 then you are not likely to get again. From the report, it appears that the early tests were false positives (diagnosis). So catching it the 2nd time was actually the 1st! (Sky news report).

Looking to find out if the vaccine tests being carried out , will be a success or not in July . This with hopefully not being possible catching it a second time, can only be good news down the line.

Safe weekend CPF

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup66 View Post
    So if someone writes that 47 million are infected or died in India or China, and that Spain is quickly approaching the same numbers, I'll just read that as identical quantities, nevermind the representation in terms of proportion.

Famous last words : "... But it's a dry heat, right?"
    You can read it as whatever you want to read it as, but it’s not what I wrote!

Just under 25,000 dead in Spain and France is bad in my opinion but if you need a pat on the back for the wonderful job that France has done because they have a larger population then carry on.
    Last edited by Dave D; 05-01-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Some potentially good news, looks like if you have had covid19 then you are not likely to get again. From the report, it appears that the early tests were false positives (diagnosis). So catching it the 2nd time was actually the 1st! (Sky news report).

Looking to find out if the vaccine tests being carried out , will be a success or not in July . This with hopefully not being possible catching it a second time, can only be good news down the line.

Safe weekend CPF
    Good news ven!
    Thanks for reporting.

You too, stay safe!
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

I gave my young trainee at work a homework assignment today. Spend 4 hours researching the Spanish flu. Begin in 1916 and study until 1920. The kid has a very inquisitive nature so I knew if I gave him a specific period he would do more than gloss over the top stories the google puts out at first. Deep research will be required.

We had a phylisophical discussion of why two law suits went the way they did in my state.

One was a shooting range was allowed to reopen. The other a chain of gymnasiums not. The shooting range is smack dab in the center of a bunch of Hooterville sized towns where the law enforcement folks no longer had a place to train. In big cities they have their own facilities, yet at this location police from 50 miles in every direction train at this one spot. A judge deemed it more essential than the stay at home decree allows. He cited 2nd Amendment and all that too, but it is a place to help keep surrounding communities safe.

The same judge ruled that a chain of gynmasiums in a metropolitan area was not as essential as the stay at home decree. Folks can work out with ordinary household items. At least for now. I reminded him how a few weeks back I taught him how to work out with gallon jugs, broom handles, bench press a dining room chair etc.

Now the thing he was getting at was "is the low volume of carnage in the population worth all of the economic costs". He mentioned Americas founding was to fight tyranny to the death if need be. "this is a virus that 98% survive from" he said. I agree on both fronts and reminded him that once upon a time in America there was an 80% chance moving out west would cost you your life but millions tried anyway. "yeah, yeah" he says. But "they were largely folks trying to escape disease, famine, joblessness and other issues faced went living on the east coast" I said "and now you go west, you go south, you go north or east, you cross the friggin ocean and you face the same potentially deadly virus no matter where you go".

I honestly feel this thing is over blown in a lot of places, yet at the same time if you get it chances are great you will live sure. However the dirty little secret is it might leave behind a permanent reminder like chronic athsma and anybody who deals with it knows it's like trying to breath through a dish rag. I reminded him millions returned home from WW1 alive but after being near gas warfare spent the rest of their days with breathing issues. I said "I don't know about you but for me if I can avoid the sensation of breathing through a wet dish rag by avoiding certain 'luxuries' for a few months I'm ok with that". I reminded him that there's way more life behind me than in front of me, yet he probably has way more ahead of him than behind him (he's 26) so he should consider the inconvenience as a temporary thing.

So I asked him to study what we did wrong during the 1916 to 1920 period and take note how quickly the American economy zoomed again. I said "for bonus points study the roaring 20's" because we are headed there again.

If you are looking for some hard data for you state, some that will tell you where you are headed...

Go find historical infection data. You will need each day. Put in into excel. Then calculate the infection percentage for each day based on population. Finally, graph this data against # of days since infection #1, be sure to use a log scale for the 'y' axis.

You will probably find a nice straight line (headed upwards) at first, then it will start to curve. If it's flattened out and headed down you are good (but I'd wait to get that haircut anyway).
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Someone say haircut

Self inflicted as per usual

I dont think i have been to a barbers (other than taking my lad) for myself in over 25yrs.

Have a safe weekend all, hoping for a little window of sun later for some BBQ action.

My 30 years old Wahl's are still going strong, however I bought the optional various sized comb attachments, #3 on the sides and #8 on the top, helps keep the helmet hair in check!

My 30 years old Wahl's are still going strong, however I bought the optional various sized comb attachments, #3 on the sides and #8 on the top, helps keep the helmet hair in check!
    I use wahl clippers to, i just get 50 shades of grey in tufts, when the tufts come, the clippers come out

Haircuts are over rated.

Flashaholic*

I’d have to write you up over that haircut Mr. Fixer.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Someone say haircut

Self inflicted as per usual

I dont think i have been to a barbers (other than taking my lad) for myself in over 25yrs.

Have a safe weekend all, hoping for a little window of sun later for some BBQ action.
    Looks good on you!
    Not so much for me plus I want to keep my hair while I still have it...

Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    Looks good on you!
    Not so much for me plus I want to keep my hair while I still have it...
    Thank you sir, its pretty much the same hair cut(less grey in past)for the last 25+yrs. Every 2 -3 weeks rinse repeat(well other way actually). 1.5mm, or number 0. My lad is not over impressed though since the restrictions, he seems happy with a 6mm all over. I have done a 1mm back and sides and 6mm on top blended in..........gee sound like a hair dresser!

Stay safe

Flashaholic*

^^ at first glance thought Jason Statham was on CPF!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    ^^ at first glance thought Jason Statham was on CPF!
    Liam Neeson
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

If you live in my state, this could be coming to your neighborhood too

"In early April, the California Judicial Council established a new policy setting bail at zero for most misdemeanor and low-level felonies to keep the jail population lower during the coronavirus crisis."

https://abc7news.com/california-zero...ce-ca/6144239/

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast